Scooby-doo 24-Jun-17
Russ Koon 25-Jun-17
zionwapitiwhacker 26-Jun-17
APauls 26-Jun-17
x-man 26-Jun-17
HerdManager 26-Jun-17
Tajue17 28-Jun-17
24-Jun-17
I have a Helim, it is 50 to 60 limbs and I wanted it lowered the max possible amount before the limbs fly off and he got 53# according to the tech which honestly it looked like he went by feel I didn't see him put it on a scale or even look close at the limb bolt holes..

my question is based on everyone's experience if a bow is 50/60 how much do you think it could be lowered to the absolute maximum,,, I am recovering from shoulder surgery and I really would love to get the bow to about 45# maybe 40# (the Massachusetts legal Min)

I'm going to bring it back and ask if they can really try to go as far as they can I'm just curious if its worth it..

24-Jun-17
If you had it lowered at Reedy's in Middleboro, MA go with that. They know what they're doing. C

24-Jun-17
Mathews says safe to shoot 5 turns from max. Most people do not have a scale. My guess it would turn out in the mid-upper 40s

24-Jun-17
Usually best to go with manufacturers specs. Tighten limb bolts completely and back off a specified number of turns. Looks like five in this case. That should get you to 50# or usually slightly below.

24-Jun-17
Charlie it was at reedys but the guy that did it was a stickbow shooter and he was really cool and I have no complaints at all with anything he did for me I just want to be sure I'm as low as possible.. 5 turns,,,,so I would need to tighten limbs down all the way then back off 5 full turns can I tighten the limbs back down without a vise or do I need to take the tension off first?

24-Jun-17
You aren't going to get it down to 40 pounds, and it will go from 50 to 0 real fast if you loosen it too much.

24-Jun-17
You can adjust limb bolts without a vise.

24-Jun-17
Order some 40-50# limbs for your bow, if you want to pull 40#'s.

24-Jun-17
Yup, buy some 40-50# limbs. I went from 70 to 50-60# limbs and have them set at 58#s. I was shooting 67#s. I bought arrows that allowed me to shoot the same grains per pound and did not even have to adjust my sights. My shop gave me my limbs for my Mathews and let me keep my 70# limbs. Scooby

25-Jun-17
I'm not familiar with the Helim specifically, but cranked down several bows over the years to suit new young or female archers, going well under the manufacturer recommended minimum draw weights.

Then when I had a stroke seven years ago, I needed a maximum draw weight reduction in one of my bows to use it as a rehab/training device. I had an older Browning single-cam backup bow that I was very willing to risk doing some sort of harm to, but didn't expect any. Cranked it down until I could easily draw it with almost NO strength in my left arm to resist the draw and hold the bow at arm's length. Actually had that 70# bow down to a peak of 19# at breakover when I began using it do draw only, indoors in wet weather.

As the weather improved, and I took the bow out in the yard to begin actually shooting it, I discovered that it would "unstring" itself very often upon release, but otherwise there were no dramatic or ill effects. Arrow cast was very slow, of course, but I used my regular hunting arrows and after cranking the peak weight back up to 27# the string stayed in place on the cam at release and practice at 20 yards resumed.

By late summer I was back up to 43# peak, and limping slowly a short way into the woods to sit in a brush blind carrying my newer Mathews at that weight, also down from 70#. Full confidence in the bow having the necessary performance if the shots were limited in length and close enough to help insure good placement. No shots that year, but it felt good to be back in the woods anyway.

Now back up to near the factory recommended minimum draw on the Mathews, and have been shooting practice and 3D these last few years with gradual increases in draw weight, a few thousand shots with no ill effects seen to the bow. Getting pretty easy to pull again, and will likely be back to something closer to the max again before this season.

Main problem has been a long battle with target panic as I tried to get used to using a release (long-time finger shooter). My reduced arm strength made that battle harder until I had enough reserve strength to hold more comfortably while concentrating on form and squeezing off the shot.

I have always been a tinkerer. Never a "pro" bow mechanic (or pretended to be), but I have seen LOTS of warnings about the limitations on various devices through the years and found most of them to be prompted by liability lawyers and companies who would really rather you "just buy the lower weight limb$ and have your dealer in$tall them" than actually give you useful advice on how to avoid those costs during your rehab.

Of course, you should take reasonable care in reducing draw weight to insure that there are sufficient threads left engaged in the limb nuts at the reduced weight you desire to shoot, but aside from that all the other forces are reduced as the peak weight is reduced, so there's little else to fear. Even the self-unstringing I mentioned above that occurred when I shot my Browning at 19# was easy to fix. At that peak draw weight, the weight at rest was nearly nil, and the string could be easily slid back onto the cam with fingers, no pressing or tools needed.

Good luck with the rehab.

26-Jun-17
My Diamond Outlaw has 60-70 pound limbs and bottoms out at around 57 pounds. I have it around 61 pounds currently.

26-Jun-17
Years ago I also turned a bow well down below it's poundage limit for a friend to use. Whether you want to do that with yours is up to you.

26-Jun-17
Mathews says five turns max for warranty validation. Ten turns would still leave all the threads covered in the limb pocket insert(and be fine to shoot if you were careful). The choice is yours obviously. No tech at a shop is going to turn it below five turns for liability reasons.

The safety hazard isn't the limb bolts coming out. The safety hazard is the string de-railing on the rebound .

My advise for shoulder surgery recovery has been to buy a good used Genesis bow to build up repetitive strength. You will be able to sell it for what you bought it for in most cases. The Genesis Pro will go up to 35# and has draw stops. The no let-off of the Genesis bows helps with rehab as well.

26-Jun-17
My Hoyt (50-60 pounds) went down to something like 43 pounds when I did the manufacturer-recommended number of turns on the limb bolts. I figure they know best.

28-Jun-17
want to thank everyone for the posts and all the info.

• Sitka Gear