DL 27-Jun-17
oldgoat 28-Jun-17
Fuzzy 30-Jun-17
TD 30-Jun-17
Rickm 01-Jul-17
tradi-doerr 02-Jul-17
LesWelch 05-Jul-17
26-Jun-17
So, I was at Dick's Sporting Goods this weekend and I spotted a product that was 95% pure oxygen in a small can. They say you take "shots" of this to help with the affects of altitude sickness. Here in Eastern Pa. I live at 400' above sea level, and thus far nothing helps with the crippling affects at 9500 and above that I hunt elk in. Any ideas or experience with this product? Thanks in advance BOWJO

26-Jun-17
I'd save my money for other things.

26-Jun-17
I haven't tried the oxygen but I'd say get in the best shape you can, take some diamox and allow yourself as long to hunt as you can afford. Give yourself a couple days living at 10000' and hunting easy then get after it.

26-Jun-17
My dad brought some along. It's weightless. When we were climbing and he was huffing hard he took a hit and said it was night and day. Maybe it was a placebo effect but I could see a physical change.

26-Jun-17
I have a good friend who lives at 8800' who developed mild respiratory problems as he got older. He's an elk hunter. He swears by it and buys it in bulk at a discount on Amazon. Says he doesn't always need it but when he does it REALLY helps to have a shot or two. This is someone I know well and trust.

26-Jun-17
This is tempting for me. I'm 62 and have an autoimmune disorder called sarcoidosis which affects my lungs with inflammation. I dont let it stop me and I can do anything just not in as much of a hurry. I also keep myself in top shape year round. However, coming from the east I really struggle when I go over 8k. I usually go a couple days early which helps, but this could be the ticket and seems worth a try.

26-Jun-17
Would that work for copd.I use two inhalers,and when coughing spells hit,I just throb all over when the coughing stops.I'm just a flatland deer and turkey hunter.

26-Jun-17
I am 55 and in excellent shape and train hard for my elk hunts. However, every year after my pack in, typically about five miles, I get sever arthritic pain in all my joints which lasts about twelve to twenty four hours. It feels like someone is sticking a knife in both my shoulders, and knees. when I do get acclimated, I feel great, I would just like to avoid the lost time and pain associated with it

Thanks guys

26-Jun-17
Not to take away from the subject, but Dick's also has the training breathing mask to help better prepare for high altitude activities.

26-Jun-17
From the research I've read, the training masks do nothing to improve your oxygen absorption at altitude.

26-Jun-17
Interesting, altitude also kicks my butt. Not sure you would be allowed to take this product on an aircraft though.

26-Jun-17
I heard from a guide that got altitude sickness. He's in excellent physical condition and been at altitude many times. His lungs started filling up with fluid and he collapsed and couldn't breathe. An EMT was on the team and got him on his side to help breathe. Don't remember if it's right or left to lie on? Someone had an asthma inhaler that helped him get down the mountain some before he collapsed again. Finally got to camp where they had some oxygen. Had he been by himself he would have most likely died. 13000 feet.

26-Jun-17
Bring on the oxygen. When get winded in the steep stuff, stop to sip some water and take a hit of O2. When the ears are pounding and the heart is banging into the rib cage during ascents, this strategy might help. If starting to get headaches or worse, could be a huge help to buy some time. Any ER docs here from the mountain zone?

26-Jun-17
The altitude training masks are a complete waste of your money.

Physiological adaptation to altitude takes several weeks, nothing that wearing a scuba mask will mimic during your 30 minute workout.

26-Jun-17
Just duct tape your mouth and shove cotton balls up your nose. That'll mimic high altitude for workouts.

26-Jun-17
DL,

You would be better off saving your money and using your method. It accomplishes the same thing, which really isn't much.

Higher elevations have less oxygen per liter of air, and your body has to adapt this reduced oxygen density. You can do this by 1) having lots of money and a specialized air chamber you can live in or 2) living at altitude. Or, you can just go run hill intervals for free. This won't adapt your body to high altitude, but it will get you in good shape which is the next best alternative.

26-Jun-17
Here's a link to them. https://www.boostoxygen.com/ I'm pretty sure Joe drives, so the air plane worry I think is out. I only see Joe a few times a year and he sure looks to be in shape and know that he was a regular at a gum. I don't know why some people are just effective more than others. I've been lucky I have never had an issue with it. https://www.boostoxygen.com/ It' won't let me put it in the ULR link it keep asking me for the right matched requested format????????

26-Jun-17
Have you tried either Diamox or one of the altitude supplements for altitude? I don't have as severe reaction as you, but have a pounding heart, headaches, shortness of breath and can't fall asleep because I can hear/feel my heartbeat in my head/ears when I lay down. Diamox works for me, but has some unwanted side effects and takes a prescription. I now use Altitude adjustment and it works great for me. Whatever else you do, I would try either Diamox or AA. http://altitude-adjustment.com/ No, I don't own stock in the company :-) Live in Texas at 1500 ft and altitude has bothered me the same no matter how good of shape I am in.

26-Jun-17

Bill in MI's embedded Photo
Bill in MI's embedded Photo
Not to take up unnecessary space but I'd have a ball with this

26-Jun-17
There is, of course, a difference between being short of breath and altitude sickness. The O2 will give you a boost when you get short of breath. It will do nothing to prevent altitude sickness.

27-Jun-17
Pack an adjustable volume helium balloon attached to your backpack. That way you could tip toe up the mountain with little effort. This is a joke fellas. Actually the higher you get the less lift helium has.

28-Jun-17
I couldn't see any help from the cans we bought! Maybe if you can find one that has a real oxygen mask attached to it versus just a regular spray can type spray nozzle it would be more effective. Think you'd be better off spending the money somewhere else to lighten your load

30-Jun-17
Canned oxygen? Call it "coxygen"?

30-Jun-17
Likely help getting fire started too.....

01-Jul-17
Diamox and ibuprofen or Aleve.

Talk to your doctor. He or she may not be informed so you may want to take some literature with you.

You are lucky if it only takes you a day or two to adjust. I don't really notice anything until I am over 10,000 but every time is the first time with altitude.

02-Jul-17
Here is one that has the mask style to it. http://www.sportsmanswarehouse.com/sportsmans/Boost-Oxygen-Portable-22-oz-Natural-Oxygen-Canister/productDetail/Performance-Nutrition/prod99999046387/cat128201

05-Jul-17
I'm around 800' in WI. I train hard year around. It doesn't matter what the situation, the first morning at altitude in the 11k range I have a headache and am slightly nauseous. It just happened again Saturday. I flew in late Friday night, and then packed in Saturday mid-morning. Fine all day, but the headache kicked in during the night. Took advil at 5 am and was fine by 9:30. I have zero issues after that.

• Sitka Gear