Sam 12-Feb-24
Zbone 13-Feb-24
Sam 13-Feb-24
Sam 13-Feb-24
Zbone 13-Feb-24
26-Jun-17

Zbone's embedded Photo
Zbone's embedded Photo
Picked up "Elsa", German for noble... :^) on Friday... She's a 8-1/2 week old, black and tan, standard size, smooth hair "Teckel" of European bloodlines... (See: www.true-teckels.com)... American name is Dachshund, although she's from serious hunting dog bloodlines in which there are only a handful of breeders in the US... Both her parents specialize in blood tracking...

Still letting her adjust to the house and household right now, all is good, and hope to start blood trail training later this week...

26-Jun-17
Awesome Z ! She's beautiful! I love the hunting Dachs! Good luck with her and keep us posted as she grows!

Scar.

26-Jun-17
Clutch has one about 2 years old now so reach out to him if you seek any advice. His tracker Dog is amazing but they've got to be trained properly. Good luck! C

26-Jun-17
She is a cutie for sure, I am always reminded of a saying I read somewhere: "God didn't make any ugly puppies". Best of luck with her Z.

Lost my best friend a few weeks ago after 14 years of loyal friendship and pointing birds. Every time I see or hear about somebody getting a new puppy I get that 'Smile and a Tear' thing going at the same time. I see a lot of fun and blood trails in your future, enjoy each other!

26-Jun-17
Z that is a beautiful pup. Think she already has a size 10 foot !!

26-Jun-17
Good looking pup.

During my Yeager training while stationed in Germany I learned Dach is the European Badger- smaller than NA variety. 'Badger dogs' are used to chase them out of their dens. If they are anywhere near as tough as the NA Badger when confronted- a dog has got to be tough to do that.

G

Interesting history- glad my memory of info from 30 + years in intact. ;) http://www.true-teckels.com/history.html

26-Jun-17
Keep us updated on her progress....beautiful pup!

26-Jun-17
Thanks guys...

Yeah Buffalo1, she's got some big feet...8^)

Am told both parents are around 20 pounds as adults, so she is not going to be a miniature by any means...

Charlie - Been a dog man all my life, but this is my first blood trailer to be, I'll take all the good training information I can get... Got a email or contact for "Clutch"... Don't remember that handle... My email is: [email protected]... Thanks

Thing is though, been laid off since February and was looking forward to spending a lot of time training her but just today secured a new job and start Wednesday... Go figure... I'll still make the time training her though...

Thanks again folks, will post progress...

26-Jun-17

drycreek's embedded Photo
Z, congrats on the gainful employment, but more congrats on the new pup ! Ain't nothing like a good dog for companionship. They don't bitch 'cause you got the a/c on cold, they're always ready on time, and for a couple pieces of bacon, they will follow you to hell and back.

This here is Master Seargent Buster K. Brown ( K is for Killer ) He's a natural blood trailer too.

27-Jun-17
Remember, let her have fun and lots of it! make every adventure a game and every game a small training activity!

She will be awesome!

27-Jun-17
go ahead a buy a tracking collar. i bought the Alpha dog and it has helped me a ton. it makes me feel 1000 times better know i can find my dog if she gets of lead, and that i can communicate with her without yelling across the woods. I use the "tone" command and have been doing recall training out to 400 yds - huge difference.

I got a German Jagd Terrier back in September, she found 14 deer last fall, and i have been hammering obedience this summer - she is doing great and i expect her to do very well this fall / winter.

27-Jun-17
Congrats and keep us posted on her progress!!

Mark

27-Jun-17
We were hose sitting years ago for people that had an indoor dachshund( shotzie). One day I took her outside to see what she would do with a huge gopher out there. First one she'd ever seen. She became a different animal. She went after that thing like a wolf. Definitely have hunting skills. Blood trailers are great to have. I've used them on three deer in hot weather. If we didn't find them they'd be rotten by morning. Two were dead within 200 yds. Trying to find at night in 3' high dry grass is tough but the dogs found them within 5 minutes. The third one was liver shot but took two hours of dog tracking to find with almost zero blood. It was a cattle dog but came through in a pinch. It's just as exciting to watch the dog as it is to make the shot.

09-Jul-17
Laid the first liver drag 20 paces this evening for Elsa... I gave her a couple tiny slivers of beef liver in the house, first she's tasted that I'm aware, then picked her up took her outside and set her down at drag start and she immediately picked up the scent and followed it to the end just like a natural born tracker... I was impressed by the little 10 week old...8^)

10-Jul-17
You will have a fine hunting buddy for years to come.

10-Jul-17
Good looking pup. been training blood trailing dogs since the early 70s, do all your tracks with the wind to your back, make sure to leave peace of raw deer or pig hide at end, canned sausage good too . I just a new Drahthaar pup couple months ago, have done several tracks with him but he hasn't figured out 90 deg turns yet, takes a lot of training , but well worth it. Forrest

11-Jul-17

sam's embedded Photo
sam's embedded Photo
This was my blood tracking Teckel of 13.5 years, I lost her April 6th after a 17 month battle with anal gland carcinoma. Cherish her buddy cause they don't last nearly long enough.

12-Jul-17
Sam , sorry for your loss, get you another one. it will help with the pain. My old dog is going on 11 years old , that is why I got a pup . Forrest

12-Jul-17
Thanks Forrest, it's been over three months now and I still cry for her nearly every day. They are in my opinion the greatest breed.

12-Jul-17
Sam,Never owned a Teckel ,have herd good things about them , Had Drahthaars since 1980. don't no if John Jenny out of NY is still breeding Teckel or not, been over 10 year since I talked with him about a dog. Forrest

26-Jul-17
Since Elsa turns 13 weeks old today so thought I’d give a little update…

She’s a smart cookie with a heck of a nose… She knows her name and is now blood trailing out to 75 paces in different terrain such as dirt short grass, high weeds, etc. with slight turns and angles, although I haven’t done a sharp 90 degree on her yet but am sure she’d figure it out and I know she can trail much further… It seems natural to her… Am impressed… Years ago I tried blood trail training one of my lap dogs as a pup, but was a waste of time, they had no drive such as this pup… Bloodlines are amazing; this pup has it…

She’s had a big week so far with the Vet check and got microchipped…

The week of the 4th, the neighborhood fire crackers seem to get her attention and didn’t like them, so thought I try to nip gun shyness in the bud before it appeared, so I took her to the trap range Friday and as I pulled up they were shooting 50-60 yards or so away… The gunfire got her attention while in the car, and eventually I slowly started working toward the trap line… She was a big hit with the spectators, and by the time we left she was socializing with all the strangers and romping around just a few yards behind the trap shooting line guns a blazing… The gunfire didn’t bother her… She did great and is doing great…

26-Jul-17
When I had my beagle pups, I would put them in the yard, let them wander off a ways, not paying any attention to me then fire a .22 into the ground. This would get their attention, then I would call them to me right away and give them a treat. After a few sessions of this, they could be around the other side of the house when I'd fire the gun and they'd come running to get a treat! Never had an issue with gun shyness.

26-Jul-17
Thanks for the tip midwest, am going to try that...

29-Jul-17

Forest bows's embedded Photo
Forest bows's embedded Photo
I'll be a wreak when I lose this guy Sam!

09-Feb-24

Zbone's embedded Photo
Zbone's embedded Photo
Zbone's embedded Photo
Zbone's embedded Photo
Zbone's embedded Photo
Zbone's embedded Photo
Zbone's embedded Photo
Zbone's embedded Photo
I know this thread is old but some requested updates so here is a 6-year update...8^) Actually this is an update with an agenda,,, stud service...

Elsa is now 6-years old and weighs around 20 pounds depending on the day... Had her to the vet last week and she weighed in at 19.2 pounds but I've had her on scales at 22 pounds, but her fighting weight is right around 20 pounds... She is such a sweetheart and great dog with a strong prey drive... I've never had her bred but am now looking for stud dog for a spring breeding... Black and tan, smooth coat standard male Dachshund/Teckels from European working dog bloodlines are hard to come by... There are so few of them over here with European conformation in which they are bred to be built to hunt are slight longer legged with a slightly shorter backs than the American conformation... I'm staying away from wire hairs (there are a few of them out there) and longhairs am looking for a black and tan or chocolate and tan smooth hair... The American show dachshund is too long, too low and too heavy to be of much use in the fields and forests for any amount of time. I'm trying now to start networking with the field trailers for contact of stud dogs, so thought I'd also post here in case somebody might know of one...

If so please send me a PM or email me: [email protected]...

Thanks for any info...

09-Feb-24
Be careful with them outside until they get all their parvo shots.My vet said that coons are really spreading it now so to stay away from anywhere they are and when bringing to vet don't sit them on the ground.My new lab pup is all good now ready to shed hunt or at least run around.I lost my old lab a couple months ago also.

09-Feb-24
Missed this thread the 1st time around. She went from cute pup to a beautiful dog!

09-Feb-24
Thanks JB...

09-Feb-24
Nice !

09-Feb-24
Beautiful dog thanks for the update

09-Feb-24
What a great looking dog. I got my first dachshund 20 years ago for tracking. Aside from their great noses, they're fantastic companions and my family is in love with the breed. We have had two more since the first and will never be without at least one.

09-Feb-24

Molly is studying her reflection in the window
Molly is studying her reflection in the window
I have an update too. Sad to say, after 14 years I had to put Sarge down this past October. He was a good companion and found many a hog and deer for me and friends. I mourned him a couple months and then decided that I wasn’t too old for a new pup. I contacted a guy that I knew just had a new litter and picked out a little female JRT. Her name is Molly and she puts the Terrorist in Jack Russell !

09-Feb-24
When I read the title I thought I was going to read about spiders. LOL

Good looking pup!

10-Feb-24

Zbone's embedded Photo
Zbone's embedded Photo
Zbone's embedded Photo
Zbone's embedded Photo
Zbone's embedded Photo
Zbone's embedded Photo
Zbone's embedded Photo
Zbone's embedded Photo
Thanks folks for the complements...

She is such a socialite and likes everybody she meets and they all luv her back, yet hell on critters though...8^)

She is such a party animal...8^)

She has a bucket full of toys at home and never plays with them, but take her to the 4th of July party at the in-laws, what's she do, steal one of the dog's toy and wouldn't let it down... Go figure...8^)

Dang drycreek - I can tell just by looking at that little dude he's a handful of tornados...8^)

10-Feb-24

Stekewood's embedded Photo
Stekewood's embedded Photo
He would be a great stud dog but he’s missing the important parts.. ??

10-Feb-24

For you Z

10-Feb-24
That's funny Don... Thanks...8^)))

11-Feb-24

carcus's embedded Photo
carcus's embedded Photo
Here is mine, great dogs

12-Feb-24

Zbone's embedded Photo
Zbone's embedded Photo
Zbone's embedded Photo
Zbone's embedded Photo
Zbone's embedded Photo
Zbone's embedded Photo
Zbone's embedded Photo
Zbone's embedded Photo
Would like to thank a couple folks who contacted me privately... Thank you...

Research over, I had a meet and greet Saturday with the nice young lady owner of the potential mate for Elsa... This is Simon from hunting stock with a great pedigree, field champions everywhere, even his sire and dame are field champions...

What youenz think?

12-Feb-24

Zbone's embedded Photo
Zbone's embedded Photo
I also met Simon's field champion father Silas... I guess he lost his eye in a coon fight when a pup... She said he killed the coon, but lost the eye...

12-Feb-24

Sam's embedded Photo
Sam's embedded Photo
Simon would be an excellent sire for your pups. I know a bit about him. Here is a pic from this weekend with my 16 month old puppy from pure Russian blood line.

12-Feb-24
Zbone… here is some free advice, nothing could have ever prepared me for how attached I got to those little buggers when we had our litter. Everyone that bought a pup got to see a 53 year old man cry like a baby.

12-Feb-24
"Simon would be an excellent sire for your pups. I know a bit about him"

Cool Sam, great to hear, thanks for sharing...

You have a good looking pup there and looks like he's doing great!

I assume he is one of the pups in the photo from the litter you posted a while back? I remember conversing with you at the time...

Curious Sam, do you field trial? I've never been to a Dachshund/Teckel field trial but plan on attending one this year.

Am not counting my chickens before they hatch, but hoping for a successful mating come around May...

He is a bit bigger than her and hope it'll happen naturally without using a reproduction veterinarian

If successful, just hope she'll throw a female pup I can keep...

"nothing could have ever prepared me for how attached I got to those little buggers when we had our litter"

Yeah, it's rough... Have whelped 12 litters of other breeds through years and know the emotions of letting them go... It's tough,,, but what was tougher was I had a female Morkie-Poo lapdog in which I was there at her conception and her birth and personally doc her tail and removed her dew claws when she was just minutes old and after 12 years I was holding her in my arms when the vet had to put her down last year... Talk about a tear jerker...8^(((

12-Feb-24
Z the pic is from a pup I kept from the litter, actually a “she” Vanna, she does have a rather blocky muzzle like a male.

I actually had amazing success field trialing, I had a wire hair male “Argos” that won absolute at his first field trial, my wife then about a year later ran him over in our side by side, that nearly ended in divorce. I haven’t field trialed Vanna yet because I don’t have her AKC registration, her Russian site “Vadim” is such a recent immigrant that shortly after he arrived on US soil the Ukrainian, Russian war broke out and the AKC in their infinant wisdom put a moratorium on Russian dogs. I have no doubt she also would win the title of absolute at her first FT.

12-Feb-24
AKC Dachshund Field trialing is a different animal, mostly ran by 70+ year old women….so use your imagination, I gave them an earful more than once.

13-Feb-24
Sam - Sorry to hear about your dog...

Can't even imagine the red tape and paper work trying to immigrate a dog from a foreign country with a foreign dog registration trying to get AKC to register it....

If I remember right your litter was from a red male and black and tan female with Russian bloodlines?

"AKC Dachshund Field trialing is a different animal"

In these AKC field trials I understand the earthdog events, but the tracking events on their website are confusing because it seems Dachshunds are tracking/trailing rabbits, and not blood tracking/trailing: "In Dachshund field trials braces of dogs are put on the scent line of a rabbit or hare and judged on the quality of their work on the scent line."

I've raised and run beagles as a kid so understand that, but are there strictly blood trailing events at these AKC field trials or are the blood trailing events outside the the realm of the AKC and unaffiliated? Don't want to travel a couple hundred miles to a field trial just to learn they are just running rabbits...

Why I asked is I also see on their website: "Tracking Events TR/TX/VST/TDU", whatever those mean, can only assume "TR/TX" is track and trail or visa versa, but their website really doesn't explain what scent are they tracking , human scent for like search and rescue, or maybe bird or small game scent, or is this where the AKC blood tracking/trailing may come in?

Then there is this organization: https://www.unitedbloodtrackers.org/upcoming-events/ which seems only blood trailing but nothing close to me, and assume they haven't any association with AKC?

Forgive me I'm a little ignorant on this field trial stuff, the only time I was ever at a field trial was a retriever trial back in the day when a buddy and I were gunners... That was fun though, we actually shot a bunch of live ducks out of the air...8^)

Thanks for any info for those in the know...

13-Feb-24
Z you’ve got it correct, the rabbit field trial is nothing more than a make believe rabbit hunt, it’s quite silly actually but it’s Disneyland for the dogs, but no blood whatsoever, your dog is judged on how well they react and track the rabbit.

Like you found, UBT’rs is where you get different levels of certification on actual mock blood trails. While it is a good organization and I wholeheartedly support what they are doing I also have never participated as they seem to never be near me.

My wife has done the earth dog a few times with our bitch, they both really enjoy it. I’m on board with pretty much anything that stimulates prey drive in the dog.

13-Feb-24
Z look up Yury Yury on FB and YouTube. This guy is reversing all the damage done to the breed by North Americans for the past 100 plus years.

13-Feb-24
Cool Sam, so no AKC involvement in blood tracking and it is only UBT for the blood trailer events and certificates... I'll keep keep and eye on their events page to see if anything will pop up in my area... Thank you much for your input!

Was also looking into the German Versatility Test for Dachshunds, (DTK VSwP blood track testing) but can't find any events in U.S. for 2024 yet from the North American Teckel Club (NATC) website since it has not been updated...

"look up Yury Yury on FB and YouTube" - I will do so sir... I appreciate the info...

• Sitka Gear