Contributors to this thread:
hillbender 26-Jun-17
Woods Walker 26-Jun-17
elkmtngear 26-Jun-17
Woods Walker 26-Jun-17
hillbender 26-Jun-17
Woods Walker 26-Jun-17
26-Jun-17
Got my pack pared down to the essentials this year. Dang bow is the heaviest thing in my pack. Makes me want to tote my recurve. Kills two birds with one stone as it would lessen my pack weight and lessen the probability that Ill have to pack one out by myself. ;)

26-Jun-17
LOL! That's one of the reasons why I went back to shooting a recurve. I think when I weighed it it came in at like 2.6 pounds or so.

26-Jun-17
When you get one down...then the true meaning of the word "heavy" will reveal itself!

Best of Luck, Jeff

26-Jun-17
Yeah, but that's a GOOD kind of "heavy"......as in "He ain't heavy, he's my DINNER!" (with apologies to The Hollies).

26-Jun-17
I'm getting to really love the back packing part of my elk hunts. I'm not scared to get way back in the boonies but its a balancing act with how far I want to pack one out. I am running solo and I'm no spring chicken so one of my strategies is simply I aint gonna kill one unless its a good one. Setting base camp via canoe and then will set a spike camp on the ridge above so hopefully it wont be too hard to get one to the river. I have my pack down to a very manageable size and then I strap 6 lbs of compound to it is a little discouraging

26-Jun-17
When I lived in Wyoming they used to say that you should bring a frying pan and a lot of salt and pepper if you kill one that far in because you'll have to eat it there!

• Sitka Gear