elkmtngear 12-Aug-17
WapitiBob 12-Aug-17
wyobullshooter 13-Aug-17
Irishman 13-Aug-17
Irishman 13-Aug-17
Unit 9er 14-Aug-17
jordanathome 14-Aug-17
12-Aug-17
For years I went hunting with my buddies who started chasing elk many years before I did. So I learned from them.

Typically we were up an hour before first light to get ready, breakfast, coffee, take a dump, etc. Then we'd try to head out at least a 1/2 hour before first light to our initial morning ambush spots. Many years we hunted in the flattops so there was no climbing the mountain. We would go out to an area with a bunch of logging skid trails and find spots to sit. Elevation change was maybe 300'. Then as mid morning drew upon us we would start to creep around and meet up at a central location. From there they would often opt to go back to camp for lunch and a nap then head out again to big meadow ambush locations around 4-5pm to set up and sti to last light.

Not really active hunting, no spot and stalk. Alot of guessing where elk might pop up based upon experience and fresh sign.

Personally I like to move more and try to cut fresh sign before I slow down and hunt. I like to identify transition zones and find trails then focus on feed, water and shelter in finding my ambush spots. And a 2 hour sit in one spot is tough.....I can do it.....I am don't like it.

Generally, in my current situation, I plan to do some early morning glassing from way back on some nice meadows I know elk will feed in over night. If I see animals I will figure out a plan to try and get close ahead of their expected route for an ambush. Mid day I plan to focus on some tight drainages with water in hopes of elks coming to drink where I will have options for elevated ambush positions. Evenings I will focus on meadows close to camp.......falling back on how I was introduced to elk hunting.....wait for animals to show and hope for an opportunity while playing the wind and thermals.

The only change would be in the mornings....I may hump up to the high points close to bedding areas and see if I can intercept bulls heading up from feeding areas to bed but I think this will be dangerous for blowing out elk with my scent since the thermals will draw scent downhill and being up top before them or about the same time would be dicey at best. I suppose I should try this in the evenings instead to catch bulls coming off their beds in transition to feeding areas when thermals will be more in my favor?

What do you do over the course of a day in the elk woods?

12-Aug-17
When I hunt the Flat Tops...I'm usually starting out about an hour before daylight, and dropping down into known drainages off the top for several miles (couple thousand feet elevation change). I use contours when dropping down, to try to keep my wind from blowing elk out of the drainages below. Sometimes this means a 2 mile circle to get where I need to be. Needless to say, by the time I get to the elk, they are usually moving to bed. If they are vocal enough, I've got a chance to intercept them before the wind gets "swirly".

Once I'm underneath them and in the timber, I'll slowly work my way up high while I still have the thermals in my favor. Sometimes I get lucky, and walk right into elk. I'll usually take a nap up high when the wind starts to get ridiculous.

Moving toward evening, I'll stillhunt my way back down. If I've got a treestand out somewhere between feeding and bedding areas, I'll usually climb in early afternoon, and sit it until dark. If no treestand, I'll usually try to get in a spot where I can watch a known crossing where I know elk move out of the timber regularly. Listen, watch, and react if elk are located.

Back up to camp after dark. Rinse and repeat...

Best Wishes, Jeff

12-Aug-17
in the area before light and bugle, walk, cow call, repeat

13-Aug-17
I'm where I plan to start hunting well before shooting light, regardless of where that may be. Sometimes that's right from where I park my 4 wheeler, sometimes that's a 1/4 mile in. From there, I hunt the morning and am usually back in camp by 10:30-11:00. I'll head out to my treestand by 4:30-5:00, which will give me around 2hrs in my stand in the evenings. I know my area and the elk that live there. Thankfully, I've never had to kill myself to kill my elk.

13-Aug-17
I typically drive to a spot where I expect elk to be. Get out of the truck get all my gear ready. Before I head off walking I always bugle in the dark, as I may get an answer from a direction different from where I had planned to go. I usually cover a lot of ground in the morning, continually moving until I get responses from bugles. I never cow call, unless I'm getting really desperate. Come back to camp about 11am eat, wash up, lounge around, practice shooting. Head back out about 4pm, always to a different place from the morning, even if I had lots of luck in the morning. Stay out until dark, once again covering lots of ground until I get answers.

13-Aug-17
I typically drive to a spot where I expect elk to be. Get out of the truck get all my gear ready. Before I head off walking I always bugle in the dark, as I may get an answer from a direction different from where I had planned to go. I usually cover a lot of ground in the morning, continually moving until I get responses from bugles. I never cow call, unless I'm getting really desperate. Come back to camp about 11am eat, wash up, lounge around, practice shooting. Head back out about 4pm, always to a different place from the morning, even if I had lots of luck in the morning. Stay out until dark, once again covering lots of ground until I get answers.

14-Aug-17
What Wapiti Bob does in the day, then in the afternoon, we setup and call with 2-3 hunters in an area we know the elk tend to be in the evening. We call loudly starting about 6pm 1-2 minutes calling with 10-15 minute rest intervals. If there are elk in the area, we are trying to let them know we are there-even if they are a mile away. They will tend to come out the last few minutes of daylight. You can't give up and leave before shooting light is done! Most times, we are walking out in the dark by headlamp.

14-Aug-17
I can't remember an evening hunt where I moved until it was well past seeing my pins. I prefer to use night vision and often don't need a light except in nasty blow down or deep arse timber. I am lucky to get dinner cooked and choked down before 10:30 most nights. Stay to the end then sneak out carefully, for sure.

• Sitka Gear