Fulldraw1972 17-Aug-17
LBshooter 17-Aug-17
LBshooter 17-Aug-17
APauls 17-Aug-17
South Farm 17-Aug-17
Fulldraw1972 17-Aug-17
Kurt 18-Aug-17
14-Aug-17
The new provincial government has announced as of November 30, 2017 , the grizzly trophy hunt will be banned.

We'll have to wait and see what that looks like.

I wish those cidiots would all fall asleep, slump forward and drown in the fancy coffees!!!

14-Aug-17
Alaska grizzly hunt prices with double now and BC moose numbers will dwindle. Political idiots making decisions based on feelings not science, that's a lose/ lose for everyone but the greenies.

15-Aug-17
I'm assuming this is due to the winnie-the-pooh factor and not due to any decline in the population? Plenty of bears in BC from what I see. It's a shame that'll take some human deaths for them to consider reinstating the hunt.

15-Aug-17
What a sh*& show. So, you can hunt them for meat, but can't possess the hide, head or claws. Wonder what they are going to do with all the left over parts?

15-Aug-17
WTF

15-Aug-17
We will be facing this type of lunacy even more if we do not ban together and quit nit picking every single facet of hunting and how we do it apart...

If it is legal then it is good. It may not be good for me but all legal hunting is good. A house divided cannot stand.

Several recent threads have got me to thinking that we must be careful not to arm the IDIOTS with anything that can be used against hunting.

15-Aug-17
Well, we have to ask ourselves what we as a community have done to fuel these bans? The argument the antis use is that people are killing beautiful creatures just to hang one the wall, and that's wrong. The hunting INdustry have given the bullets to the antis for our own assassination and it's only going to get worse. Pick any clip or show for the most part and show the politicians, and say this is why hunters want to kill these aniamals. Very few shows talk about the aspect of putting food in the freezer, and the good hunting does as a conservation tool. Its mostly how big the antlers are or how big the skull is and how square the rug is etc... Put a Lee and Tiffany show on and watch her loose her mind when she shoots a raised deer and then talk about how big it is, or most any show that gut shoots a deer, and let's not forget the predator hunting shows that have a Hunter blowing the brains out of a cute dog. In the minds of the non hunting public, doing the jumping and laughing and talking about how they smoked it is just plain bad. Get use to the bans guys because it's just a start, the antis have figured out the puzzle of how to pull the hart strings of the public and it will come home to visit your area in one form or another. More respect for the game we hunt has to be given and most importantly, it has to be shown on these outdoor shows.

Remember the all American sportsman show with Curt Gowdy, never did you see all the blood that's shown nowadays or the idiotic kill dances that are so popular now, and Curt represented a gentleman sportsman, one who admired the animals he hunted. . Very few on today's marketing shows have anything close to what Curt did. With dropping numbers of hunters ever year, it's a matter of time until my hunt and yours will be under fire. It is imperative that we all hold the ones who represent us, whether we want them to or not , to demand they do so in a sportsman like manner that shows respect to each and every animal taken and that includes websites that show detailed pictures of coyotes brains splattered and then all the yuks yuks that follows. Just think of a group of antis going in front of a board or city council and say that the pictures Your about to show were taken by the ones who say hunting is beneficial to wildlife. Showing a pic of a coyote with half its skull gone with comments saying, looks good, or saying shoot more, or I kill them anyway I can, etc... You've all read them, time to stop complaining about the bans and time to start cleaning up our communities attitude towards the animals we hunt. If we as a group show no respect to the quarry we seek then it makes it easy for a commissioner to vote for a out right ban of the cute bear or deer or doggie.

15-Aug-17
Well, we have to ask ourselves what we as a community have done to fuel these bans? The argument the antis use is that people are killing beautiful creatures just to hang one the wall, and that's wrong. The hunting INdustry have given the bullets to the antis for our own assassination and it's only going to get worse. Pick any clip or show for the most part and show the politicians, and say this is why hunters want to kill this aniamal. Very few shows talk about the aspect of putting food in the freezer, and the good hunting does as a conservation. It mostly how big the antlers are or how big the skull is and how square the rug is etc... Put a Lee and Tiffany show on and watch her loose her mind when she shoots a raised deer and then talk about how big it is, or most any show the gut shoots a deer, and let's not forget the predator hunting shows that have a Hunter blowing the brains out of a cute dog. In the minds of the non hunting public, doing the jumping and laughing and talking about how they smoked it is just plain bad. Get use to the bans guys because it's just a start, the antis have figured out the puzzle of how to pull the hart strings of the public and it will come home to visit your area in one form or another. More respect for the game we hunt has to be given and most importantly, it has to be shown on these outdoor shows.

Remember the all American sportsman show with Curt Gowdy, never did you see all the blood that's shown nowadays or the idiotic kill dances that are so popular now, and Curt represented a gentleman sportsman, one who admired the animals he hunted. . Very few on today's marketing shows have anything close to what Curt did. With dropping numbers of hunters ever year, it's a matter of time until my hunt and yours will be under fire. It is imperative that we all hold the ones who represent us, whether we want them to or not , to demand they do so in a sportsman like manner that shows respect to each and every animal taken and that includes websites that show detailed pictures of coyotes brains splattered and then all the yuks yuks that follows. Just think of a group of antis going in front of a board or city council and say that the pictures Your about to show were taken by the ones who say hunting is beneficial to wildlife. Showing a pic of a coyote with half its skull gone with comments saying, looks good, or saying shoot more, or I kill them anyway I can, etc... You've all read them, time to stop complaining about the bans and time to start cleaning up our communities attitude towards the animals we hunt. If we as a group show no respect to the quarry we seek then it makes it easy for a commissioner to vote for a out right ban of the cute bear or deer or doggie.

15-Aug-17
Good Post LB! I agree with a lot of what you said. We must unite, all hunters if we even want a chance!

Scar.

15-Aug-17
BC needs to be split into 2 provinces. One giant one with few people and great hunting and one tiny one where they can make all the silly laws they want without bothering everyone else.

15-Aug-17
15,000 bears and there are 250 tags issued. Liberal morons running the government say it's socially unacceptable to trophy hunt. I have a friend in Alberta that's ready to go after this as a spokesman. Non of their other provinces have banned this so he feels it's a winnable issue. They are being California in making decisions on emotions not science.

15-Aug-17
I sure hope SCI and Jim Shockey get involved in this as well as other Canadians. I'm telling you it's salt water that makes people loose all common sense and Reason. All the major cities on the west coast are next to the ocean.

15-Aug-17
We need to stick together and support all legal hunting!!

15-Aug-17
yall can say stick together all you want, but game fences are hurting hunting much more than helping.

15-Aug-17
Quote: "grizzly trophy hunt".

Is that the terminology listed in the current BC hunting regulations? If so, that's really dumb. When I hear the words "trophy hunt" I recognize it as a buzz phrase cleverly propagated and exploited by animal rights extremists. As a hunter, I'd never consider helping those idiots by repeating it. Grizzly bear is simply another species that can only be properly managed via regulated take by the public. The same way we manage moose, deer, grouse, trout, sheep, etc. Which brings up this question....when a guy catches a huge trout and gets it mounted instead of eating it, is that "trophy fishing" and should also be banned?

Hopefully, GOABC and/or SCI, or some other org will take the lead on battling this BS. I'll be watching this and I'm all in.

15-Aug-17
"Trophy hunt" is the name and catch phrase used always and only by the anti-hunting groups and their ill-informed and often outright stupid followers use.

How do you deal with people that claim by shooting the older males "... you kill the fathers, so there's no one to protect and provide for the mothers and children..."

Yup, they really are just that dumb. And they are allowed to vote in idiots that make policy based on nothing but their own opinion of morality.

But I have decided that I now identify as "Status Indian"( maybe even a Status woman). In BC, that means no seasons, limits or tags. Hunting just became very unencumbered.

15-Aug-17
Glad I got my 2 grizzlies in BC back in the 90s.

16-Aug-17
Folks, Guy Eastman closes every Eastman's tv show with, "Fair chase is the only way to hunt and take trophy big game". My point is that it's not just the antis that use the phrase "trophy".

16-Aug-17
This thread only has 20 responses! The two threads talking about freaking camo clothing have a combined 158. Who knows how many million responses rage, crossbow or frontal shots get on here. This is the typical attitude of hunters..........if it doesn't directly concern me then I really don't care. This is where we as hunters need to either make our voices heard or support the groups that do it for us. Or just do nothing and watch ALL of our hunting rights stripped away little pieces at a time.

But where was the NRA, SCI, RMEF and like groups during this?

16-Aug-17
Brett,

Good point! Most of us will never hunt grizzlies in B.C. during our lifetime. However, it doesn't mean this type of thing shouldn't concern us. Just like when the use of dogs for bear/bobcat hunting was banned here in California, we should all take notice when these anti-hunting initiatives are passed. I hope this gets revised or reversed. Here is a note from a prominent outfitter in BC that I hunted with a couple years ago:

"It seems Social Media has picked up the Grizzly bear hunt story and as per usual is only posting part of the story. The NDP gov't announced as of NOVEMBER 2017 we would no longer be allowed to hunt grizzlies as trophies. They are still working on logisitics. This is a highly political pandering to some of their constituents. GOABC and hopefully other hunting organizations will be lobbying the NDP to rethink this emotional, partisan plan and return to managing Grizzly bears based on sound science."

Maybe the lobbyist in Canada can get on top of this before it is set in stone or who knows what will be next...

16-Aug-17
What LB shooter said

16-Aug-17
brett, just a guess, but probably less than 1/10 or 1% of North American hunters will ever hunt grizzly bears in that province....so, quite sadly, most hunters will pretty much ignore the issue. Or at best, they'll think about it for a second or two and then just hope somebody else does something about it. But even guys who never plan to hunt a griz in BC should be deeply concerned with allowing any chipping away of our hunting privileges. There's no end to the lies and false propaganda the AR extremists will use, and they're persistent bass turds. Even if you only hunt deer, keep in mind that "cruel bow-hunting" is a high priority target for the AR nut-jobs. It's coming.

16-Aug-17
Hopefully sometime between now and November someone with actual knowledge talks some sense into the clowns. It is scary that so many really ignorant people have so much power.

16-Aug-17
The original story I heard was that the ban was going to be in the great bear rainforest. An area that is currently loosely mapped. The Green party picked up enough votes to pull weight with the NDP.

We can only hope that they do not make a province wide ban.

The bigger picture is that as hunters, hounds men, trappers, sheep hunters, bear hunters, guides, DIY, rifle hunters, bowhunters and anything in between. Do not come together with a unified voice we will all continue to lose ground. Currently, we are divided and being conquered.

16-Aug-17
+LB. Great post.

16-Aug-17
Here's a link to a poll running in the Vancouver Sun that BSC just emailed out. I went and voted. Can't hurt, it is running 50/50 right now.

http://vancouversun.com/news/local-news/daily-poll-are-you-happy-with-b-c-ndp-plan-to-ban-grizzly-trophy-hunt?utm_medium=email&utm_source=sharpspring&sslid=MzU0MTIDYmNDAwsA&sseid=MzQ1NzQwMrM0sQAA&jobid=d68a3dc7-c6b4-4673-a722-35d3c3df71a4

16-Aug-17

Brotsky's Link
DEMO's link We need to stand together with our brothers and sisters on these issues no matter where, why or what species is involved. It all comes home to roost eventually.

16-Aug-17
I was just gonna post that poll. Thanks DEMO!! When I voted it was 50.5 percent in favor of banning.

16-Aug-17

DL's embedded Photo
DL's embedded Photo

16-Aug-17
Currently 50.16 Against Ban 49.84 For Ban

16-Aug-17
Thanks for fixing that Brotsky!

16-Aug-17
I voted

16-Aug-17
Me too. 50.45% in favor of common sense.

Not real keen on the wording on the poll, though.

No..A lot of people depend on the hunt to make a living. No mention of the fact it's sound game management.

16-Aug-17
Another agreement with LB shooter for the most part. The solution to this is in the mirror. I know thoroughly decent people who oppose "trophy hunting" and that is squarely on us because we lost the PR battle.

16-Aug-17
Voted. Essentially 51/49 now, in favor. These online polls feel good to vote on but I'm afraid are essentially meaningless. Sad thing that they ended the hunt. Ridiculous.

16-Aug-17
here's the sad dose of reality.

It isn't cross bows. It isn't baiting It isn't mechanicals It isn't 4 wheelers It isn't use of trail cameras It isn't the use of salt It isn't the use of a compound It isn't the use of a rifle.

None of the crap that gets argued about EXTENSIVELY ISNT the reason it's gone.

It's because hunters can't get together, educate and gain support. We're too busy fighting each other. Chalk this one up to another win.

Hey, anyone use a crossbow this season? ??

16-Aug-17
I voted. The wording is clearly biased.

17-Aug-17
Voted...... and yes.... when polls are worded such, the deck is stacked.....

I'm a bit shocked this would happen in BC....... Ambush, what's the name of your self-identified tribe again????? Sounds like a plan....

17-Aug-17
Canada is largely run by the liberals in the eastern provinces. Those of you who supported Obama and Hillary should take note.

17-Aug-17
I now culturally identify with the Faw'kwee-Dew"win.

Specifically the northern Watt'Tha band.

17-Aug-17
Voted. waterfowler is right. If this holds up, AK grizzly prices will definitely shoot up.

17-Aug-17
I will probably never get the chance to hunt a Grizz, but this is just sad to see. We all saw what happened to Quebec and hunting caribou...... This will continue until we can stand united. I took a second and voted, I urge any of you reading this to do so as well. If nothing else, just to show that there is support on our end!

17-Aug-17
Yeah that wording was poor on the vote option.

17-Aug-17
DL I love that!

17-Aug-17
50.57 against 49.43 for hunting just now

17-Aug-17
Voted. Pole is worded funky for a reason but, it's what we had. As of 8:45 this morning, the good side was losing. God bless

17-Aug-17
Give it a few years...and sadly, a few lost lives...and it will be open season again, and quite possibly the price might come down too.

17-Aug-17
I voted. Agreed the wording of the answers is terrible

17-Aug-17
Mike, that's what hunters said about cougar hunting in CA too... And spring bear in CO... The general public would rather have rangers and wardens "euthanize" specific problem bears than have hunters randomly culling them.

The anti's strategy is to fragment and attack low-hanging fruit where they can jar emotions of regular folks-nonhunters. Trophy hunting is easy. Bowhunting will be pretty easy when they show how "inhumane" it is by using our own videos in saturation campaigns.

Our vanity may be our demise.

17-Aug-17
I voted. We are still behind.

I got an Email from SCI on this issue yesterday. I wish I could post it here. Don't know how.

17-Aug-17
Why isn't SCI posting on All the hunting sites to alert hunters?

17-Aug-17
Just voted and wow, they didn't put up a pic of a mature bear with the killer look in his eyes, they used a very young cute harmless little yogi bear and the wording is so skewed. This is what we are up against folks. To pass a law that prohibits the full use of an animal one kills is discussing! shame on the government for doing so, waste a perfectly good hide. Class and head is one thing but the hide,so many uses for that once tanned other than a Mount.

17-Aug-17
This is rediculous and I did vote. That being said if the demand for the hunt went down I'd have no issue going and "meat hunting" a grizzly for a cheap price and taking nothing but the meat and photos back. The memory and photos mean more to me than a skull or hide. Hopefully that way the harvest continues, proving people meat hunt, and we can shed some light on how wasteful it is to waste part of the animal and then maybe long term we can quash this thing eventually.

17-Aug-17
What these idiots don't know is they'll probably end up being responsible for more dead grizzlies, rather than fewer, due to the fact that "nuisance" bear killings will skyrocket! But then they never consider the ramifications, they just know what they want and as long as they get it they're happy.

17-Aug-17

Fulldraw1972's embedded Photo
I just got another email from SCI on this. The above poll is one of the links. The other 2 are fact sheets on BC Grizzlies.

18-Aug-17
This sucks but we all knew it was coming if the NDP won the election (they joined up with the Greens to form gov't). I've got a grizzly tag for this fall for the area I'm going on a DIY fly-in Mt Caribou/Moose hunt. Hate to think it could be the last for one. Sad thing is several hunters that I know voted NDP, never believing this would happen. At any rate, we really don't know what the 2018 regulations will look like for residents, but certainly looks like the end for non-residents, or at least until the political power shifts back to the right (called Liberal Party in BC).

• Sitka Gear