coelker 15-Aug-17
MathewsMan 15-Aug-17
wildwilderness 15-Aug-17
WFM 16-Aug-17
Rob in VT 16-Aug-17
Rob in VT 16-Aug-17
Quinn @work 17-Aug-17
15-Aug-17
Well, I need some advice here. For the last twenty years I was a non resident but have now moved back to Colorado. I kept applying for PP's along the way and now find myself with more than any unit requires. I'm looking for any help in locating "the area" to spend my points in the next couple of years. I have had several people tell me south of Rangely third season. Another suggested south of Durango near the reservations or an early season high country op for a velvet buck. I don't have to have a 200" deer but something close would be nice and I don't mind putting in the miles for one either.

I am living in western Colorado again so I'm close enough to do a lot of scouting, that and my wife like to hike as well. Any suggestions are appreciated.

15-Aug-17
Unit 22 3rd or 4th rifle season hunt with your bow. There are numerous hunts that take more points than what you have.

15-Aug-17
22 4th season with bow

15-Aug-17
UNit 22 is taking another hit this year. We lost 22,000 acres of access, and now we are facing another 40,000 acres loss. With 14 points there are some good units. Unit 22 is alright but it does not produce really big buck consistenty enough to waste a decade worth of points on. There are mush better big buck units. Considering that 2 years after the 4th season tag you can hunt 22 on a second season.

Are you looking at archery only or a Rifle Tag. If rifle I would think you are close and it would be worth your time to hold out for a unit 44 late tag. Or if you like early season velvet bucks a high country rifle tag.

Overall I would say that 22 has dropped a bunch. Still lots of deer, but quality and access issues are occurring. Consider that a little bit ago there were only 5 4th season tags. Now there are 15. They have increased both the total buck tags for 2nd and 3rd, despite over all herds numbers remaining stagnate.

15-Aug-17
I have an employee hunting Unit 22 4th rifle and another hunting 201 archery this year, both are taking off the entire season. I'm sure they will not be disappointed. We have some excellent deer on private ground hear near Meeker- last year I saw 5 bucks that were the biggest bucks I've ever seen and the rifle hunters never killed any of them. Hoping to get someone on any of them this fall.

15-Aug-17
4th season tag in 44

16-Aug-17
Thanks guys, I hav been hearing the same about 22 and several others mention 44. I plan on going for another point as I am too tied up to scout this year. Hopefully I can do some scouting 3rd and 4th season in 44 this year to see about access and locations of deer.

16-Aug-17

Rob in VT's embedded Photo
Check into Ranching for Wildlife on the Trinchera in unit 83. Some great deer in that unit.

16-Aug-17

17-Aug-17
I'd hold out for 44 4th season.

• Sitka Gear