Franklin 27-Sep-17
Aubs8 27-Sep-17
nijimasu 27-Sep-17
nijimasu 02-Jan-18
nijimasu 02-Jan-18
26-Sep-17

nijimasu's embedded Photo
My 13 year old shot his first mule deer a few weeks ago- I beautiful forkie. Even though it was still Velvet, he said he wanted to keep the rack without the velvet on it. I cut off the skull plate thinking I'd strip the skin and velvet the next day. Now several weeks later I've finally gotten around to it- and low and behold it was dried on pretty hard. I was able to get the skin off the skull, and whittle the velvet off a lot of the antler, but not around the rough bumps towards the bottom. Also, the skull plate is pretty stanky. I'd like to make a little wall mount for him out of it, but figured I'd ask you guys how to proceed. Boil the whole thing? bury it in Borax for a while? Just let it dry out for a while and cover the base in Bondo? I figure some of you guys must have done this a time or two... Ideas?

26-Sep-17

Surfbow's Link
This?

26-Sep-17
Thanks surfbow- I think I know what to do once I get the antlers clean- it's just getting them clean without damaging them I'm worried about. The article said "a quick boil," and I'm wondering exactly what that means? .. hopefully from someone who's done it, so I don't mess the antlers up.

26-Sep-17
High pressure washer will strip the velvet quick and easy.........

26-Sep-17
If you use a hi pressure washer and the bone is not hard, you can erode some of the bone.

26-Sep-17
Submerge it in water. Use a garbage can. Tie a wire or cord to it to pull it out. Every few days pull it out and spray with water. Do not change water. Bacteria will do the work.

26-Sep-17
DL X2, but wear rubber gloves... Not something you want on your hands!

26-Sep-17
Submerge in water is the way to go. Congrats to your son! Good luck!

26-Sep-17
Or beetles... the beetles will eat the velvet first. Ed F

27-Sep-17
If you rehydrate the velvet it will come off....after it`s off the antlers will require "staining". They are not the "antler color" under the velvet....the staining is the art, it`s not like staining wood.

27-Sep-17
I often boil the skull caps on an outside burner (stinks) to the point it melts off and only need a screwdriver to get it off.

I would soaking the antlers separately and peel velvet with a screwdriver.

Lastly, after drying, look up potassium permanganate to stain the antlers....go very light by diluting it until you get the color you want.

Take care. Mike

27-Sep-17
Thanks guys- as always, great advice here on The Bowsite.

02-Jan-18

I thought you guys might want to see how this turned out. Thanks again for your help!

02-Jan-18

• Sitka Gear