Mike/ky 06-Nov-17
LINK 06-Nov-17
midwest 06-Nov-17
tobinsghost 07-Nov-17
Catscratch 07-Nov-17
LINK 07-Nov-17
14-Oct-17

midwest's Link
Cam has been running for around 24 hours so far and nearing 100 miles into this 238 mile trail race in southern Utah. His brother Taylor Spike is also running this one and looks like they are currently still close together. Both in the top 20!

If you are interested, you can follow his progress at my link. Go Cam Go!

14-Oct-17
That guy is unbelievable. Inspiring to see what he accomplishes!

14-Oct-17
Cam is a great ambassador to both hunting and fitness. I turned my son onto him and his accomplishments a couple years ago and tomorrow my son will attempt his first marathon.

14-Oct-17
BOWNBIRDHNTR, That's great...is he running the Des Moines marathon?

14-Oct-17
Yes sir, Cam is an inspiration! I love his spirit & dedication!

ElkNut/Paul

14-Oct-17
Great job! But I thought it was about her shot a 240 pt Utah Muley. ??

14-Oct-17
Good luck Wyatt!

14-Oct-17
The guy is a beast. Its crazy what the human body can do.

14-Oct-17

midwest's embedded Photo
midwest's embedded Photo
This is the elk forum, Norseman...duh. :-D

But I did see he arrowed a 208 muley in CO this year.

14-Oct-17
That's insane! lots of miles!

Wow 208" mulie. That would be the new typical world record wouldn't it?

14-Oct-17
He says 208" gross.

14-Oct-17
good on Cam, hopefully he stays safe

14-Oct-17
Not sure I could stay awake 24 hours anymore...... wow.

14-Oct-17
It’s encouraging to know I’m in better shape than at least one guy!

14-Oct-17
That is an amazing feat. Good for Cam!

14-Oct-17
There is one simple thing that Cam said that sticks with me..... something to this effect.

" I'm not a good shot, I was never a great hunter, I have to work extra hard at everything I do, I'm just not a natural"

That about sums up his total dedication, amazing.

14-Oct-17

midwest's embedded Photo
midwest's embedded Photo
This 33 year old school teacher from Golden, CO is currently in 1st place at about mile 160. 10 miles ahead of the 2nd place runner and 40 miles ahead of Cam and his brother....wow! She's headed up to the highest elevation of the course right now.

Cam and Taylor are still together and in the top 15 towards the head of the pack.

14-Oct-17
Talking about Beastmode. Wow!

14-Oct-17
These people are remarkable.

14-Oct-17
Wow that teacher is impressive! What a badass

15-Oct-17
That is a beautiful area to have that race in.

Even in the dark the silhouette's are spectacular.

Good luck, Robb

15-Oct-17
Courtney just passed the 200 mile mark and is still way out front.

Cam and his brother are past the 160 mark and still in the top 15. It's been 48 hrs. since they started!

15-Oct-17
These guys are unbelievable. Is the California wildfire smoke causing any issues for this race, Nick?

15-Oct-17
Not that I've heard. I guess the days have been pretty hot, though.

These ultras facinate the hell out of me. Can't imagine the mental grind it must be. Not just the race itself but the daily training required.

15-Oct-17
Unreal stuff. I can't imagine..

15-Oct-17
Kind of nuts if you ask me, but impressive nonetheless. Like going on a three day bender as opposed to drinking a 6 pack....the recovery from this has to be miserable.

15-Oct-17
Truly an amazing feat! Heck just to walk that distance non stop could be brutal!

ElkNut/Paul

15-Oct-17
I am fairly certain whatever bear mean enough to make me run 240 miles would kill me before I made it, so no need to do it.

Curious to know where these people score in a personality trait exam.

15-Oct-17
i'm rooting for the school teacher. love Cam but when you have four girls, go girl go!!

15-Oct-17
She's crushing the field with under 19 miles to go! Badass

15-Oct-17
RUN! CAM RUN!

15-Oct-17
Run cam you can catch her. Go go go

15-Oct-17
I think it's awesome that a 33 year old school teacher who doesn't look like a stick of jerky is crushing professional fitness athletes. That's excellent!

15-Oct-17
I feel honored to be a part of this race too in that I asked Cam on Instagram if the race was drug tested and he blocked me from his page. I was just curious.

Drugs or not it is really incredible what these people are able to do, and that woman beating them all so handily is mind boggling, any online pics she just looks normal.

15-Oct-17
Unbelievable what some people can accomplish. I wouldn't want them chasing me.

15-Oct-17
Jaq, x2. Pretty inspirational if you stop and think about it. Good for her.

15-Oct-17

midwest's embedded Photo
midwest's embedded Photo
Courtney is just a few miles from the finish. What an amazing accomplishment!

Cam and his brother are over and past the highest elevation of the race at a little over 12K around mile 180.

15-Oct-17
There are some tough runners out there.

In my first 50k, the top two finishers overall were women. Grab the prize.

15-Oct-17

Huntcell 's Link
Her name is Courtney Dauwalter, She has the American women’s record for most miles in 24 hours at 155.391 miles. Even more amazing she runs numerous high mileage races a year sometimes in as little as 2 months apart. Interesting interview at the link.

15-Oct-17
She slept a total of 21 minutes during the race, crossed the finish at just under 58 hours, and the first thing she does is crack a tall boy IPA. I think I'm in love!

15-Oct-17
Wow!

15-Oct-17

Kevin @ Wisconsin's embedded Photo
Amazing!
Kevin @ Wisconsin's embedded Photo
Amazing!

15-Oct-17
Sounds like she'll be ready to go again by the time Cam finishes..

15-Oct-17
Wow, that young woman is a BEAST! Unreal yet impressive!

ElkNut/Paul

15-Oct-17
Speechless.

15-Oct-17
Unreal! Speechless at how tough and driven these people are! Courtney is amazing!

15-Oct-17
Another amazing woman in this race is Pam Reed. 56 years old mother of 5 and currrently in 7th place!

She's run 100 100 mile races. Her bio will blow you away.

15-Oct-17
Incredible. Is it true that Courtney is waiting at the finish line with orange slices and juice boxes for the rest of the guys? ;-)

15-Oct-17
The Ethiopians or Kenyans seem to dominate the Olympic distance events. Are they involved at all in these types of events as well, Nick?

15-Oct-17
All these people amaze me and those women are particularly incredible! I'm not sure at what point in my life being an athletic woman became okay but I'm for it!

15-Oct-17
t-roy- I am not aware of Kenyans or Ethiopians competing in ultras. (These guys run marathons for the money. The money isn't big in ultras) These races are more about endurance, fueling, and mental management. Speed isn't a requirement.

Scoot- I would say there is much less of a gap between men and women in mountain ultras vs marathon and shorter. I am no expert, but I think mental toughness rules the day. Back in 2010, Diana Finkel led the Hardrock 100 until the 90th mile and still finished 2nd overall. (And she almost died after the race due to kidney failure). Gives you an idea of how far the mind can push the body. Google Ann Trason- She absolutely dominated Western States in the 90's. I think she won the women's division 7 years in a row and 14 times overall. She also took 2nd overall in the Leadville 100. One of the toughest runners ever.

15-Oct-17
Unbelievable!

15-Oct-17
Wow these people are awesome! I thought I was doing good when I ran for 3 miles ha

16-Oct-17
Amazing what the human body can accomplish, but no way in hell do I want to push MY body to those limits haha. I want to still be able to walk upright by 65.

16-Oct-17
There are some very good books on long distant running. 'Born To Run' comes to mind.

Very special people that do this for sure. Not your every day Joe off the street. my best, Paul

16-Oct-17
For those who haven't read "Born to Run", it's an excellent read! I'm not a real runner at all, but I loved the book. The author does an incredible job of weaving together several different, seemingly unrelated, story lines in a way that really works.

16-Oct-17
I wonder what she charges to pack out and elk by herself whole?

16-Oct-17
Unreal accomplishment to even finish that race. Job well done by all who competed. That's amazing.

16-Oct-17
Yeh that's all nice and good but does she have a cool slogan like "Keep Plodding" and maybe a Hoyt and UA sponsorship.....pffft. Not really that impressed with her performance. LOL

16-Oct-17
I've always felt myself to be mentally tough and able to take just about anything. These guys and gals are on a whole other level from what I could ever hope to be. Incredible athletes and the guts they have...wow.

16-Oct-17
Animals. I can't even comprehend this. It's like trying to imagine heaven. The brain just twists after a while and I give up.

16-Oct-17

BOWNBIRDHNTR's embedded Photo
Wyatt and Annette after the run.
BOWNBIRDHNTR's embedded Photo
Wyatt and Annette after the run.
Hey guys, thanks for the well wishes for Wyatt. Yes, he ran the Des Moines Marathon. My wife ran the half. Both finished strong.

Wyatt set a goal of benching 300 lbs and running a full marathon this year....after recovering from a broken hand that required surgery and two pins. He benched 315 lbs last spring and completed his marathon yesterday (while wearing his KEEP HAMMERING Tshirt). Very proud of him....and Annette!

16-Oct-17
Congrats Wyatt and Annette!

16-Oct-17
Congrats to all!!

Mark

16-Oct-17
Midwest X2!

16-Oct-17
I have run some ultras and been blown off the trail by women some people are just freaks when it comes to them. Its about will not skill after 50 miles but some have the rare combination of both.

16-Oct-17
Amazing!

16-Oct-17
Crazy stuff! Great accomplishment.

16-Oct-17
Cam made it to the finish and his brother is almost there. Amazing what the body can accomplish with a strong mind and lots of heart!

16-Oct-17
Thanks Nick for shaming me with this thread. I've been back from elk hunting for almost two weeks and I finally went on my first run today. A slow 3.5 miles but it felt good getting back on the road.

16-Oct-17
They asked for volunteers after racers finished the Boston Marathon. Urine and blood samples were collected from 28 runners. Result. 8 in 10 had kidney damage similar to patients in ICU. I presume in an Ultra race is closer to 10 in 10. Usually is temporary damage. Usually. https://yaledailynews.com/blog/2017/04/04/marathon-running-linked-to-kidney-injury/

16-Oct-17
Tipping my hat to these increbile athletes for setting such lofty goals and achieving what most couldn't dream of doing.

16-Oct-17

midwest's embedded Photo
midwest's embedded Photo
midwest's embedded Photo
midwest's embedded Photo
Here he is....damaged kidneys and all. 240 miles, 79 hrs. running, 2 hrs. sleep. Faster than his Bigfoot 200 last year. Incredible.

16-Oct-17
Scrappy, you're welcome. :-)

You wouldn't believe all the crap I just signed up for or commited to for next year....I'm going to need a kidney transplant for sure!

16-Oct-17
Why does Cam even bother stalking the animals anymore ? Couldn't he just run them into the ground ?

16-Oct-17
Jeff....Wyatt was probably just jealous of all the hardware you’re carrying in you ankle, so he just had to get some for himself!

Congrats to him and Annette as well. Quite an accomplishment!

17-Oct-17
"Names Forrest...Forrest Gump"

17-Oct-17
Congrats to them all!

17-Oct-17
Absolutely incredible feat. I ran cross country in school when I was a kid and generally finished in the top 5. I don't think I would call it endurance race though, not compared to how Cameron runs typically everyday. I watch his pod casts and he certainly is driven as I believe all these runners are. The dedication is and determination just blows me away. I get pushing the limits and the reasons for most behind it. My hats off to all of them including those that dropped out.

17-Oct-17
Congradulations to all and girl rules??

17-Oct-17
"no way in hell do I want to push MY body to those limits haha. I want to still be able to walk upright by 65"

Makes me cringe every time I see someone running on the pavement or hard surfaces. Maybe Cam will not suffer arthritis as he ages, but I'd say the odds are he and others who train this hard will. As an ex track athlete, I feel "moderation in all" may indeed be the wisest strategy.

18-Oct-17
Please don't spread the "running causes arthritis" myth.

18-Oct-17
If we had more people like him advocating for us we would be much better off.

18-Oct-17
+1 Midwest

18-Oct-17
Courtney is incredible. I must say though events like this really seem something akin to smoking cigarettes or heavy drinking. There is no way it doesn't remove years from your life. There are limits to what is "good"... JMO

18-Oct-17
Good Lord...

18-Oct-17

18-Oct-17
Congrats to all of these badass folks who ran this...pretty amazing!!!

19-Oct-17
Here are some post race comments from Courtney/excerpt fromTrail Runner Magazine

Dauwalter wouldn’t sleep much during the 57 hours she was on course. She laid down for 20 minutes at mile 190, “Thinking I would sleep,” she says. “But my brain wouldn’t shut off.”

Five miles later, though, fatigue set in. “I couldn’t keep my eyes open,” she says. “I was zigzagging down road.”

She laid down on the trail and slept for exactly one minute, with her pacer as a human alarm clock. “It was the deepest sleep I’ve ever had,” she says. “When I woke up, I thought he’d let me sleep for 30 minutes. After that one minute, I was fully alert and totally rejuvenated.”

The rest of the race was far from smooth sailing, though. By the second night, she was hallucinating in earnest. “Everything in the forest was a face or an animal or a person playing a cello,” she says. “I saw a leopard in a hammock that looked pretty comfortable.”

19-Oct-17
Sounds like my past life in the 70's.

19-Oct-17
Yup, sounds like liver damage to me! We need a sarcasm font!

19-Oct-17
Lol wapiti

20-Oct-17
Wow incredible athletes

21-Oct-17
I think I'll jog on over to the fridge.

21-Oct-17
Z Barebow, those quotes about her sleep are fascinating.

As far as arthritis goes, put down your corn chips, sodas, coffee, etc. , go for a jog and make sure you're sleeping deeply enough to have memorable dreams. If you're not dreaming, you're not repairing.

22-Oct-17
"They asked for volunteers after racers finished the Boston Marathon. Urine and blood samples were collected from 28 runners. Result. 8 in 10 had kidney damage similar to patients in ICU." Yeah, that's the only reason I didn't enter the race. Would've won if I had. :)

01-Nov-17

Butternut40's Link
On the morning news. MN native.

03-Nov-17
You guys wont believe this................... This morning I was talking to a good friend of mine. I have known her for years--really sweet lady and always enjoy seeing her. For years she had told me about her daughter-in-law and how she loved to run, was a great endurance athlete, and also how she had lost her vision in a race some time back. We discussed corneal edema and how that can happen etc but I never put two and two together.

So today she is leaving and says, "Oh...by the way---my daughter-in-law Courtney just won that big race out West." she said in passing like it was no big deal. I stopped and said, 'What?!"

THAT'S YOUR DAUGHTER-IN-LAW???????????????????? :0

Turns out it was indeed Courtney Dauwalter! I had been hearing stories about her for years and never realized it was her mother-in-law telling me! Ha ha. I asked her if I could share this story with Bowsite because I was so struck my the irony but also by how impressive their family is. We discussed Cam and how Joe Rogan was out here to follow Cam but in the end had invited Courtney to fly out to LA to do a podcast with Joe.

She is so humble and kind :) Just thought was a cool story to share.

Small world guys :)

03-Nov-17
Hawkeye, that's is what you call a small world. very cool story there.

04-Nov-17
The medical research on running vs. arthritis is mixed. That said if you are running long distances on hard surfaces, I would say the odds are you are definitely increasing wear and tear that increases your chance of arthritis. Cam not only runs to the extreme, he also hikes carrying heavy rocks. The Egyptians who built the pyramids did the same and I've read their skeletons and others who have hard physical lives showed extensive arthritis in the joints. Of course some people who exercise very little do as well...but in general I would advise to give serious thought to "wear and tear"...

04-Nov-17
Started listening to the podcast with Courtney. She is very humble and seems like a cool person. She took 2 naps. One nap was 20 or 21 minutes and the other was for 1. Her diet consists of beer and nachos.

04-Nov-17
Very cool stuff! I've ran a lot of marathons and ultra''s but never something like what these people have done. Always wanted to do a really long race but never have.

As far as health and exercise goes there are a couple things to remember; first - the body will respond to stimulus and build itself stronger if pushed to do so... stronger muscles, stoner tendons, and more dense bones to handle the stress placed on it. It will also go the opposite direction and get weaker with no stress. Astronauts for instance can't exercise enough in microgravity to keep bone loss from happening. Second - humans like to look for blame. If a runner has knee problems it obviously "because" they ran too much. But if a non-runner has knee problems it just due to bad luck. Fact is a certain percentage of the population is going to have ailments no matter what they are doing. As said above; research is mixed at best on long term exercise causing problems.

Once again, awesome accomplishments for these people.

04-Nov-17
It's not long term exercise, which I am in favor of, rather it's repetitive long term extreme stress esp. on the joints as in running on the pavement. At age 68 I still run somewhat, but on grass.

04-Nov-17
Yeah, I probably won't do any 240 mile ultras because I'm afraid I might get arthritis or kidney damage. Otherwise, I'd be all over it. smh...

04-Nov-17
Like always, there those that can DO then there is THOSE that can't or won't SO THEY MAKE EXCUSES. Good thing I'm sitting in this tree or I might be tempted to go for a run.

06-Nov-17
Much respect for those athletes

06-Nov-17
Just like most heart disease, arthritis can be mostly genetic. My wife tore her right ACL in high school basketball. She tore her left last year while running on flat ground. Just the other day she re-injured her right playing on the floor with my 4 year old. She could blame her knees on high school athletics, I blame it on terrible genetics. ;)

06-Nov-17
Speedy recovery, ground hunter!

07-Nov-17
Catscratch, the only stoner tendons I know reside here in CO!!

07-Nov-17
Lol, "stronger" tendons... STRONGER. Damn phone with auto correct. I was pretty proud of myself for typing all that up on a phone without it sounding like gibberish. I guess maybe I was too proud. :)

07-Nov-17
Well wishes ground hunter. Half my family has the heart attack in their 50’s the other half lives to be 100. Doing my best to not help heart disease out but I’m praying I got my health genes from my grandmothers family. My grandmothers cooking consists of a lot of butter but she mows her yard, drives 40 miles to church every Sunday and won’t let us put a sprinkler system in so she doesn’t have to drag hoses. She’s 87, buried three husbands and looking to live to 100 like her dad.

• Sitka Gear