This may explain a lot for some of you..
General Topic
Contributors to this thread:
Jack Harris 14-Oct-17
Brian M. 14-Oct-17
Pigsticker 14-Oct-17
Jaquomo 14-Oct-17
Matt 14-Oct-17
DL 14-Oct-17
stick n string 14-Oct-17
Jack Harris 14-Oct-17
drycreek 14-Oct-17
Shawn 14-Oct-17
Jack Harris 14-Oct-17
IdyllwildArcher 14-Oct-17
drycreek 14-Oct-17
Pete In Fairbanks 14-Oct-17
GF 14-Oct-17
APauls 15-Oct-17
Buffalo1 15-Oct-17
ELKMAN 16-Oct-17
Buffalo1 16-Oct-17
TMA1010 17-Oct-17
Bullshooter 17-Oct-17
Buffalo1 17-Oct-17
14-Oct-17

Jack Harris's Link
This may help some of you explain "why you hunt". My opinion - just some psycho-babble from a nut-job, but you be the judge.. Besides - I thought most hunting wives already know that to get their man's "attention" during the rut, all they need to do is a few dab's of Tink's 69 applied to the inner thighs and "game on".

14-Oct-17
I don't know about all that, but when it comes to hunting, I get to do it more frequently, and it lasts longer.

14-Oct-17
Some idiot developed a hypothesis and then confirmed it through a skewed lens.

Hunting has always been beneficial. Even today we pay for conservation, are tool for conservation, and high diets in wild game are healthier.

Typically something that is that positive is not derived from som neurotic tendency.

14-Oct-17
Almost every human hunts "something". Its in our genetic makeup. Women shop, most men "hunt" women, some men hunt golf balls or thrills in other areas. But we were genetically selected for the hunting instinct for hundreds of thousands of years, maybe millions. To not hunt for food is unnatural, borderline deviant IMHO.

14-Oct-17
I tried to approach that article with an open mind. I really did. But there are things in that article that simply defy any semblance of reason:

"...clinicians report that incidences of domestic violence and wife-beating always peak the day before each species of hunting season opens."

Not only does data suggest otherwise (domestic abuse appears highest during the summer and around the holidays - before and after and not generally during hunting seasons), but when hunters represent less than 10% of the population there wouldn't be enough data to support the assertion even if there was a seasonal correlation.

14-Oct-17
I have to confess that I do beat my wife the day before any season. I beat it out the door before she asks me to do one more thing before I leave. Always remember, "figures don't lie but liars can figure". A supervisor at the phone company back in the early 80s told me that regarding filling out reports. It's like applying for any grant. Come up with a hypothesis and then skew the numbers to prove it.

14-Oct-17
Dang, i got about 17 words in an couldnt get any farther. Cam Haines is running how many miles?....

14-Oct-17
LOL.... At least the author had the "5 stages of a hunter" right? I found this so hilarious.

14-Oct-17
Jack, are you bored ? Except for the stages, which was pretty good, the rest is unmitigated bullshit ! Hell, my wife beats me if I let her run out of venison !

14-Oct-17
My wife during hunting season says two works, buck or f**K and it works. I like both so we are good. She is a great women and never complains about me hunting or the money i spend doing it! Shawn

14-Oct-17
" Jack, are you bored ?"

I tagged out 9/29 - been a while since it was "that early". I could shoot does right now but don't need any more meat. 10/28 I get another NJ buck tag - yeah I am a little bored. I should probably head to Ohio earlier than planned :)

14-Oct-17
Nonsense by someone who does not understand hunting or humanity. To hunt is to be human. To have sex is to be human. That's the only correlation between the two.

14-Oct-17
Jack, it's a shame you don't live in Texas, also known as "hog hell". We could run you out of arrows pretty damn quick ! :-)

14-Oct-17
I'm left wondering how these over-educated moon bats would handle the fact that so many WOMEN enjoy hunting?

Pete

14-Oct-17
Well, I read it on the Interweb, so it must be true!

Funny, though, how people tend to believe that it’s only the people they disagree with who are prone to making stuff up!!!

15-Oct-17
Pete ya my first thought was, wow "women who hunt must be some messed up individuals then." lol

Did find the stages of a hunter interesting though...

15-Oct-17
I have sent Jack's link to one of my college roommates who has a PhD in Psychology. I am seek his opinion on this matter.

I just don't know what you make of this. It is scary to me how people can get such warped thoughts. What is really scary is the accusation/assumption that "hunting" and "sex drive" works off the same section of the brain.

I took 2 courses in psychology in college, but we never went this far !! We did learn that sex was the strongest drive in the body and consequently that hypothesis was proven in that did cause a couple of missed AM hunts.

16-Oct-17
It explains a lot about the mental make up that creates the kind of delusional, psychological bubble that allows tragedies like Las Vegas to transpire... (I am of course speaking of the author)

16-Oct-17
Here is the respond I got from a PhD in psychology, " The concepts are from psychoanalytic school of thought ( Freudian and Kleinian/object relations perspectives). I know of the concepts but never heard this application . Some folks still endorse these perspectives but they ( with the exception of some object applications) are going out of style. "

Therefore after this response , In layman's deercamp hunting terms I'm calling "psycho BS" !!

17-Oct-17
Hahaha. How are you considered a hunter if you go to hunting camp without a weapon, like the situation mentioned in that article? Seems like we are in no shortage of educated idiots in this great country. Now excuse me while I go kill something to reassure myself of my sexuality, being that taking a piss while standing up just doesn't do the trick anymore.

17-Oct-17
I started as a college freshman in Psychology, but soon quit after I realized that they don't really know anything. They make up theories which are little better than idle speculation about what people do and think. No laws, like in physics or other hard sciences. Just a lot of egghead theories, some of which sounded plausible, some not.

I did learn that if you want to sound like you know your stuff, just lower your voice an octave and act like you are certain.

17-Oct-17
Bullshooter,

You learned a valuable lesson in college there.

That is why it is called a "BS degree is BS; a MBS degree is "More BS" and PhD degree is "Piled higher & deeper!"

• Sitka Gear