wyohunter1 02-Mar-18
wyohunter1 02-Mar-18
Eddie 02-Mar-18
LONEBULL 02-Mar-18
wyohunter1 02-Mar-18
wyohunter1 02-Mar-18
Eddie 02-Mar-18
16-Oct-17
My buddy and I are starting to look pretty hard at where to burn our Wyoming points in the next year or two. In addition to the "usual" spots, I stumbled upon a possible private land opportunity between Meeteetse and Thermopolis. It seems that lots of elk show up there in the fall, but I was hoping someone familiar with that area might have some information on what kind of elk numbers are usually around during the archery season. PM is fine. Thanks for any help.

16-Oct-17
Be real careful areas 63 and 64 have early rifle seasons for cow/calf elk on private lands. I'd hate to see someone burn points to only find out there are a bunch of rifle hunters out there.

16-Oct-17
Thanks Jeff. This particular property gets virtually no pressure. My main concern is that there are enough elk there in September for a quality bowhunting experience.

17-Oct-17
I hunted southwest of Meeteetse at Wood River for deer a couple of years ago mid September. The ranch was at about 8k. Although there were a few elk, I was glad I was not hunting them there at that time. At higher elevations they were into them though. A little later and the ranch gets a boodle of nice bulls.

18-Oct-17
Thanks Steve.

28-Feb-18
I drew area 62 and looking at some of the outfitters in the Meeteetse area. Any recommendations on a local outfitter. I see you stayed at Wood River a couple years ago. Did they harvest any bulls during your stay? Thanks

28-Feb-18
I think there are only 2 licensed outfitters (public land) in that area. BNL Outfitters and Wood River Ranch. Pierson Hodgens is the guy with Wood River. Don't really know much on the other. I think you'd be happy with Wood River. (307)868-9111 office, (307)851-4316 is his cell #.

28-Feb-18
Have you hunted with Wood River? I found their website and seems like a great place. It looks like they have access to private land and thinking it might be a good choice since this area is difficult to draw for a NR.

28-Feb-18
I haven't hunted with them. I'm a resident and hunt DIY. I've worked with Pierson on trying to get some type 9 tags in that region a couple of years ago. He ran a hunting operation out of Buffalo years ago that had quite a few bow hunters and I think he would like to get more bow hunters into the Wood River region. I think he has 2 forest service camps where most of his bow hunting would take place. Hope that helps.

28-Feb-18
Could checkout trail west outfitters also. I haven't used them but have heard good things about them

01-Mar-18
That country is amazing, do it on you own, go early stay late! There are some monster bulls in those hills. I hunted sheep up in there and they were coming right into camp and proposing sexual relations with my llamas with me just a few yards away.

01-Mar-18
Think I'll DIY this one! Maybe I can rent one of your llamas..Thanks

02-Mar-18
There is an outfitter in Greybull that has private land hunts above Meeteetse...63 I believe.

02-Mar-18
https://www.tangleridgeoutfitters.com/elk.html

02-Mar-18
LONEBULL....you got Llamas? I got a couple myself. How did the type 9 push go for 63? I'd like to see this also!

02-Mar-18
I have a 62-1 tag and thinking of going up early and buying an archery tag.

02-Mar-18
No Llamas (would be nice). Well I thought we had type 9 tags for all those areas (61-64) but it hasn't come about yet. Had the Cheyenne heads with the WGFD tell the local guys to do it during a video conference between (BOW/WGFD) wrote the proposal up had everyone (outfitters,land owners,even the local WGFD warden) on the same page but still having problems with the Cody office. I'll keep at it though. Maybe someday.

02-Mar-18
Eddie, at least 62 has some roads you can take an atv on to get into the unit

02-Mar-18
LONEBULL, I live in Cody, keep me posted what happens and what we can do. Sounds like we just need to do some prying on some certain individuals? I did see they split the 63 into 2 different seasons now for this year. Would have been a good time to just add a type 9.

02-Mar-18
I have an atv but not sure I want to take it. How do the locals feel about using them in this area?

• Sitka Gear