GF 18-Oct-17
Cheesehead Mike 18-Oct-17
foxbo 30-Jan-22
DanaC 30-Jan-22
Grey Ghost 30-Jan-22
drycreek 30-Jan-22
Bou'bound 30-Jan-22
17-Oct-17
On my 3rd full sit (I had numerous other sits but never made it till dark because of my fathers failing health, he passed 3 weeks ago.) I shot I nice little 8 pointer. I usually never pass up the first good shot I get because I never know if I'll get another one. Last year under pressure from my brother-in-law I passed my 1st shot and never had another opportunity to shoot the rest of the year. But on 3 sits..........I love bow hunting. I look forward to next years season as soon as one ends, but only 3 sits! I'm happy that my freezer will have some venison in it, I'm just not ready for the season to be over. I don't have the money to go on a guided hunt in another state or hunting partners who want to travel and hunt public land in another state. Who else gets depressed when their season is over?

17-Oct-17
It's always a bummer when deer season is over. I'm fortunate enough to live in a state where the deer season (in my zone) started Sept 16th and goes till Jan 21. Actually bow season never ends for me, because I can hog hunt all year round.

17-Oct-17
I'm sorry to here about your dad.

Don't think it was a coincidence that a fat 8 came by your way..

If turkey season is open, try for them, or hit the lake or stream for some fall fishing!

17-Oct-17
Keep hunting! Use a camera :) Where we are I did the same thing last year and it hurt. Tagged out early October. We are allowed an antlerless tag where I hunt so I just kept hunting and never shot anything else, but enjoyed being out there and learning more about the pieces I hunt and how the deer are moving through them. Brought my camera with me, but was conflicted on shooting a doe since the population isn't doing well here. I just never shot anything else, but had better rut hunts than I've ever had before. Had 2 150" bucks in bow range after I tagged out lol Darn it! In 16 years of bow hunting I think I've only had like 3 bucks that size in bow range during the rut, and now I had 2 in one year when I couldn't pull the pin. Still fun though

17-Oct-17
Why do you need to go on a guided hunt or have a partner if you're hunting out of state? Wisconsin, North Dakota, and South Dakota are a few hours away and all have public land. Get a tag, throw a stand in the back of your truck, and go hunt. You can leave Friday night, get two AM and one PM hunt in and still be back Sunday night.

17-Oct-17
With a 3 month season, 3 antlered deer tags, and unlimited antlerless deer (2 per day max), as well as turkey, bear, and coyote to hunt, (and a faint but real chance at elk and feral hog) it's usually a relief when season is over!

17-Oct-17
we have a 8 month season in my counties in Virginia. 3 buck tags and unlimited doe tags. i dont complain about our smaller size deer here. there are lots of them.

17-Oct-17
sorry to hear about your father. my father had a stroke last year and having to check on him on a regular basis has cut my trips to the woods down considerably.

17-Oct-17

Butternut40's Link
Sorry about your dad. Buy an antlerless tag for MN. There are 6 permit areas that have a 3 deer limit and a bunch of intensive with 2 deer limit (see link). Plenty of public land to whack a doe or fawn.

17-Oct-17
Hate to hear about your dad. Can't you hunt does ?

17-Oct-17
Condolences. I second APauls advice about taking a camera! Gets you in the woods without having to do all of the after work.

17-Oct-17
Nope, too much going on other than deer hunting to be depressed.

17-Oct-17
Sorry about your father, but was it him that taught you about the woods? Why don't you line up some hunts with those who need guidance, or a kid or two...trust me it will be as much or more fun than your hunt!

18-Oct-17
Can you buy a gun tag and then use your bow? That might be a option. Sorry to hear about your loss, I dread that day.

18-Oct-17
Small Game.

18-Oct-17
Tough when a season ends early without another to look forward to. However all I'm reading is a bunch of excuses! No money-figure out how to either earn more or save more. No friends to travel with? Make new ones or hunt solo. Get a doe tag,hunt some new areas; will only help you for next year. Life's too short for excuses !

18-Oct-17
Go small game hunting. You’re still out in the woods, and gaining knowledge for the next season. Nothing better than learning more about your hunting area.

18-Oct-17
See Sit0 post above. Excellent suggestion. The reward is magic! C

18-Oct-17
Over? Well you can hunt without a weapon and if not killing something is the issue there is small fame, bar it or go buy a tag in a neighboring state. I certainly feel blessed that I'm able to hunt deer out/ Jan and tags are never an issue. Plenty of ways to continue your season, figure out which one is best for you.

18-Oct-17
Over? Well you can hunt without a weapon and if not killing something is the issue there is small fame, bar it or go buy a tag in a neighboring state. I certainly feel blessed that I'm able to hunt deer out/ Jan and tags are never an issue. Plenty of ways to continue your season, figure out which one is best for you.

18-Oct-17
Plenty of antlerless tags close to Becker, MN. That's what I would do and you will learn some new areas for next year. Sorry about losing your dad.

18-Oct-17
I go fishing and rabbit hunting. I do get a little down, and in the middle of deer/elk season already thinking about next season. What is most depressing these last few years is not being able to go out east and hunt whitetails after I'm done with deer and elk here. Something different I did this year was get an OTC cow archery tag, so I will be able to extend my season and hunt elk 3rd rifle season. Looking forward to that.

18-Oct-17
I normally hunt where 1 tag is the rule. My biggest archery elk and rifle mule deer were killed on my first hunting day. While I'm more than pleased to have them, not being able to hunt the rest of the year was a big bummer.

18-Oct-17
If you only get one tag and want to spend more time in the woods, use your trail cameras to pick a specific target. Make the fun last longer and only hunt for that deer. If you still haven't connected as the end of the season nears or your allotted hunting time is running out, do what you got to do. Shooting the first deer you get a shot at and then complain that you want more tree time is kind of a contradiction.

18-Oct-17
He hunts where there are few deer, and it is very likely he only will get on shot opportunity. Although he was happy to fill his tag, holding out for the trail cam swamp donkey isn't an option for him.

18-Oct-17
Yeah... MN rifle season, you generally took the first shot offered or developed a taste for Soup!

But at least there’s (relatively speaking) quite a bit of public land up there, and unless the refs have changed, there is still firearms and ML season ahead.

And steelhead and salmon and ducks and geese and.......

18-Oct-17
Lots of states with over the counter tags and public land within driving distance of MN and who needs partners...?

30-Jan-22

foxbo's embedded Photo
foxbo's embedded Photo
I think about next season each time I visit my wood shed. :)

30-Jan-22
Sorry about your Dad. Lost mine many years ago, and while my time on stand that fall was healing, my heart wasn't in it so much. Same thing some years later when I lot my Mom.

Eventually you'll re-engage with what you enjoy. Maybe fishing, or target shooting, hanging with friends, scouting, building arrows, training a new pup...

All the best from here.

30-Jan-22
5 year old thread, boys. I hope the OP is over grieving for his Father, and has enjoyed each hunting season since.

Matt

30-Jan-22
Becker, the season never ends here. Deer season is my favorite, but we can kill hogs 24/7/365 and they need killing twice as much as that ! :-)

30-Jan-22
In worried about the OP. have not heard from Him in years. I hope all is well

• Sitka Gear