txhunter58 25-Nov-17
23-Nov-17

Keadog's embedded Photo
Keadog's embedded Photo
Keadog's embedded Photo
The same deer this past February.
Keadog's embedded Photo
The same deer this past February.
I don't post often anymore but still lurk from time to time. I arrowed this deer on November 10th. I'm no P&Y measurer, but I'm usually within an inch or two of the final score. This guy green scored on my tape at 153 3/8"//137 2/8". I have a trail cam pic of him from February of this year (hadn't yet dropped!) with the same distinctive crab claw on the left. The growth in him between 3.5 and 4.5 is pretty dramatic IMO. I know not everyone is able to pass on 4 and even 3 year old deer, but the results can be amazing. I try to pass on anything under 150" (not always successfully), but I have the luxury of owning and living on the land I hunt. I'll try to edit this to add the other pics, but I'm not familiar with this system. It may take a while.

23-Nov-17
Wow quite a jump from last year very nice

23-Nov-17
Great shot

23-Nov-17
What is it that distinguishes it as the same deer again?

23-Nov-17
Passing deer is great fun but generally requires Bow only, managed ground. Whitetail management is actually people management. Good for you!

23-Nov-17
Great buck - awesome shooting!!

I always tried to hold out for a buck - either bigger than any I’d shot before or last day, any eligible volunteer.

But not many like there where I’ve been lucky enough to hunt.

Patience rewarded, I guess!

23-Nov-17
Great buck, pretty good shot placement too!

23-Nov-17
Congrats on your buck, Keadog! Amazing what some deer can grow if they get a little age on them. My only question is, do you think he’s 4.5? From the February 17 pic, I would guess him at 2.5. It was in February, so I could be wrong. Always fun when you can close the deal on a buck you have a history with.

23-Nov-17
I don't know the age for sure and didn't save the jaws. I'm relying on my fanatic deer hunting friend who knows far more about deer than I ever will. He made the photo ID (L main beam tip crab claw among others) and also "guessed" the age. I send him interesting trail cam photos and he saves them all. As soon as he saw the iPhone pic of the deer on the ground, he "recognized" him and sent me that old trail cam photo before I had the deer field dressed. He could be 2.5/3.5 or 3.5/4.5 - it may be impossible to be certain without detailed analysis. We are both fairly certain the pictures are the same deer 8 months apart. And he was huge. I didn't weigh him but he dwarfed the other 4 bucks at the butcher when I dropped him off. My point was how much they can grow every year after reaching maturity. I "manage" 60 acres of my own that only I bow hunt (I haven't gun hunted deer since 1998) but am surrounded on all sides by a mix of semi-rural housing and Ag. Only one neighbor hunts on his 80; the other neighbor has long time friends from out of state that visit every year for gun on her 70. The total contagious area bounded by 2 lane roads is around 400-500 acres, much of it in corn or soy. We bought the land for the view; I completely misjudged how good the hunting would be. This is 6/6 P&Y deer since buying the place in late 2011. And thanks for the kind remarks. I have only shot P&Y deer but know the hunters around me (that I know of) do not practice any form of QDM. I can't imagine what would be walking around if everybody stopped shooting yearlings and 2.5s. But as long as it's legal, it's none of my business.

23-Nov-17
nice buck, always cool to recognize a past years deer, wish it happened more often for me. Sure it is the same buck, but do you have a pic at the same angle more or less as the trail cam pic? would be easier to compare the differences

24-Nov-17

Keadog's embedded Photo
Keadog's embedded Photo
Another view.

24-Nov-17
Congrats.

24-Nov-17
Nice buck! every wish you`d have given him 1 more ,,don't know if I could on a big one like that but you live there congrats! Nice

24-Nov-17
congrats on a fine buck - great shot placement too.

24-Nov-17
You came up with an estimated score of ??? Great buck.

24-Nov-17
Congrats great lookin buck Lewis

24-Nov-17
Thanks to all for the kind words. I measured the green score with the standard P&Y equipment (their flexible wire/alligator clip and metal tape). In my last 5 deer, I have been within 2 inches of the official score on all, and usually within an inch. This deer scored 153 3/8" with 16 1/8" deducts for green net of 137 2/8" The smallest mass measurement was 4". The midget G3 on the left adds a lot of character but does nothing for the Club's scoring to the "ideal".

24-Nov-17

25-Nov-17
A point has to be longer than it is wide at its origin I believe.Nice buck

25-Nov-17
Congrats!

You are doing fantastic!

Mark

25-Nov-17
Great Buck! That picture should be used to show the absolutely ideal place to shoot a deer, with any weapon.

• Sitka Gear