Equipment
Contributors to this thread:
Titan_Bow 25-Nov-17
Titan_Bow 25-Nov-17
BOX CALL 25-Nov-17
elkstabber 27-Nov-17
25-Nov-17

Titan_Bow's Link
I've got an old McKenzie mule deer target that I repaired once before with spray foam from the hardware store. It did OK at stopping shots from my longbow, but quickly starts to get shot out. Last year, I started shooting a compound with my son. My bow is 65lbs. Hoyt Carbon Spyder, shooting just shy of 500gr. small diameter arrows. I'm pretty sure they'd blow right through the hardware store spray foam. I really hate to get rid of this target, as the ones they make now really seem like junk compare to these old targets. There's a company out of Idaho that makes a DIY repair kit, I'm wondering if anyone has had any luck with that kit, or what are your methods of repairing an old 3D target sufficient to stop arrows shot from high performance bows

25-Nov-17

Titan_Bow's Link

25-Nov-17
I fixed one with a nerf football and dry cleaner bags wadded up and wrapped saran wrap around target and used spray foam.held up about a year.finally broke down and got a new target.

27-Nov-17
I have used the 3d target repair foam (link above) and I have also used the cheap foam from the hardware store. The 3d repair kit seems to me to be the original foam that Rhinehart/McKenzie use and it will last for many years, depending on your weather. The cheap hardware store foam will last two years maximum and won't stop arrows as well.

I would suggest that you use the 3d repair kit if you value the target and your arrows. And would suggest that you use the hardware store foam if you only shoot the target occasionally.

• Sitka Gear