Contributors to this thread:
NIson 05-Dec-17
boothill 05-Dec-17
LINK 05-Dec-17
LKH 05-Dec-17
ahunter55 05-Dec-17
NIson 05-Dec-17
05-Dec-17
I'm going on my first out of state hunt in January for hogs and was wondering what would be the best way to get the meat back if I get lucky enough to get one? I'll be going to Florida to hunt and live in Ohio so probably about a 15 hour drive. Thanks

05-Dec-17
Quarter it out and throw in a cooler with a bag of ice on it, drain when needed as normal. Done a lot of hog hunts in winter and summer and this works every time.

05-Dec-17
Ice chest with ice, leave drain plug open and add ice as needed, don’t let it stand it water.

05-Dec-17
If you can get it fully cooled, and the weather is "winter", you can probably bring it home without any ice. Will the cooler be outside or in the heated part of a vehicle. If the latter, get some ice.

05-Dec-17

ahunter55's embedded Photo
ahunter55's embedded Photo
I've hauled several from the south (14 hours) IN SUMMER. A couple times killed on the morning I had to leave. Skin em, quarter em & pack in cooler with ice. Drain water & check if need more ice when you get gas. Never a problem.

05-Dec-17
Was also wondering if you wrap the meat in game bags or anything or just throw it in the cooler?

• Sitka Gear