stick n string 06-May-18
Ucsdryder 06-May-18
tobywon 07-May-18
stick n string 07-May-18
tobywon 07-May-18
Yellowjacket 30-May-19
critrgitr 30-May-19
06-Dec-17
Piggy banking off of the neck roast topic, my wife bought one of these for me, we do quite a few roasts in the crock pot, but what are your favorite recipes for this. I've never used it but am kind of excited to try it out. I have a freezer full of venison, elk, pheasants, and turkeys. Let me hear how what you like/recipes/etc and doesn't just have to be venison.

06-Dec-17
I've got one ... but we haven't been really fancy with it. Great for making rice, veggies, taters pretty quickly.

I'm interested to see if others have ideas/recipes to try.

06-Dec-17
Lean cuts in a crock pot have never been my favorite. The meat tastes "wet" but not "juicy". Does that make sense? I started using a recipe called a Mississippi Pot Roast with lean venison roasts in my IP and it's really good. The typical recipe calls for spice mixes (bullion and Ranch dressing packets) that are too salty for me so I've adjusted mine accordingly. I've been using a mix similar to Montreal Steak and it does the trick. I also sear the roast first. Some recipes do, some don't .

There are many variations and you can customize it to your taste.

06-Dec-17
Best thing ever... My friend Jonah turned me onto it and I had to have one. Nothing like a killer meal made in less than an hour and it tastes the same as being cooked all day in the oven! So easy!

I do stew, roasts, chicken, at least two meals a week in the thing. Great addition to our kitchen.

Sorry, I don't have any recipes.. I use it like a crock pot, just toss in whatever looks good and roll with it.

06-Dec-17
Thought this was going to be a Colorado herbal thread.

06-Dec-17

Lost Arra's Link
Also any recipe using dried beans is great in the Instant Pot. This is one of my favorites and very fast in the Instant Pot

One other suggestion. Toss the instruction manual and don't overthink all the buttons. If one is close to what you're cooking just close the lid and push it. Really hard to mess things up.

06-Dec-17
They are amazing but if you really want to up your steak game get a Sous Vide.

Your steaks will NEVER be the same. Especially venison. You will look like a world class chef.

06-Dec-17
I can't keep up! I got a smoker coming so I can do ribs and sausage, thankfully didn't have to buy anything to do heart. Now you guys are talking Sous vide and instant pots, all I wanna do is play with venison all day!

06-Dec-17
I like to make venison roasts with some inion soup mix a water or a can of cream of mushroom soup with a can of water, depending on the roast size 45 to 55 min in the insta pot. I will use it for making venison shanks soon.

06-Dec-17
My wife made some beans the other day for super but she added The leftover bone and ham from a spiral sliced ham I brought home from work. Will be trying other things soon.

06-Dec-17
Butcherboy, that's one of my favorite meals. Add some cornbread sticks to that and you have a world class meal !

06-Dec-17
That means something different in Colorado!

06-Dec-17
I'm with ike,,,how disappointing,,,

06-Dec-17
drycreek, Making my cornbread tonight. Maybe I will make green chili cornbread. It’s a NM thing to add green chili to everything. It’s just not a meal without some green or Red chili with it. LOL

06-Dec-17

Kodiak  's embedded Photo
Kodiak  's embedded Photo

06-Dec-17
Those beans look good.

06-Dec-17
Those beans look REALLY good!!!!!!

06-May-18
Has anybody done turkey legs/thighs in the insta pot? If so, please share how long to cook and also maybe even how you seasoned/prepared it. Ive got a couple pairs of legs lookin to be part of dinner in the near future, wanna do it well.

06-May-18
I cook my round steak in there. Comes out melt in your mouth tender. Love it! Makes a great chili with steak, and fajitas! Like nick said, just go with it. Don’t forget to add liquid.

07-May-18

tobywon's embedded Photo
tobywon's embedded Photo
Stick n string, I cut up an onion and put the legs and thighs in about 3 cups of chicken broth and some salt and pepper. I put them in for 40 minutes and then let the pressure reduce down itself after. I just do this so that I can shred the meat off the bones and from there I make turkey pot pie, soup, or whatever else I want to do with the meat and broth. I am still experimenting bit with the time and other recipes. I saw a recipe online where the guy put them in for 90 minutes, so I might try that next time to see if they are a bit more tender.

07-May-18
Thanks fellas! Toby, i can use some of the deer stock i made last year!

07-May-18
Sounds good stick

30-May-19
I did turkey legs and thighs this spring pretty much the same as above. Chicken stock, celery and onions, IP set on manual for 90 minutes. Shredded easily and as tender as you're going to get turkey legs. Saved the resulting stock for later use.

30-May-19
Best thing I’ve made in mine is green chili. My aoudad from last year is just plain awesome in it. Brown the meat with seasoning (cumin, chili powder, paprika, oregano, garlic, onion etc) then cook 99 min on high pressure. When that’s done add some beef or chicken bone broth, jar of 505 green chili’s, jar of tomatillo salsa, can of petite diced tomatoes, and a healthy splash of lime juice then cook on high for another 30 min.

My in-laws cook a lot of potatoes in theirs.

• Sitka Gear