greg simon 08-Dec-17
Cheesehead Mike 08-Dec-17
digs 08-Dec-17
Scrappy 08-Dec-17
Michael Schwister 12-Dec-17
Michael Schwister 12-Dec-17
Buskill 12-Dec-17
06-Dec-17
I'm thinking about using a treestand next year for elk hunting. Aspen trees seem like they have pretty slick bark. Do climbing treestands work very well on aspen trees?

06-Dec-17
Yep,as trees go Aspens are soft and are good climbing trees.....

06-Dec-17
Yep. Easy to get a good bite into the bark with teeth of my climber.

06-Dec-17
Be sure your climber has some sort of teeth. A smooth rubber grip surface can be entertaining.

07-Dec-17
I use a lone wolf alpha climber for eastern whitetails and have for 18 years now. I took it out west twice for elk, and it climbs aspen just the same as everything back east. No problem. Only thing is, elk are just more easily hunted from the ground.

08-Dec-17
Thanks everyone. I'll try taking the climber along this year. Michael, I've been hunting em on the ground with some success but there have been times that I've found good ambush opportunities and wished I had a stand along.

08-Dec-17
Gentlemen and Ladies, this is a perfect opportunity to ask for a bit of advice here. I have long desired to have a carbon fiber climbing stand that would be a dream stand come true. Ultra lightweight, neutral to the touch for cold and quiet as a deer walking on wet leaves. I am 4 weeks out from having this built (my second prototype and two years in the making) and if all goes well it will come in at 8lbs, fit flat on the back do exactly what I wanted. As a mid west hunter I wondered if it could be applied to the west. Seems that is so. Knowing that such a stand is not for everyone as the expense will be around $1000 (but of course it will last many lifetimes as all parts are designed for that) am I waisting my time and money on this to bring to other hunters ?

08-Dec-17
Yes, but they can slip when it's really cold when you're going down; just make sure to get a good bite before putting all your weight on it.

08-Dec-17
$1000 bucks for a stand....too much for my wallet. Others may eagerly pay it.

08-Dec-17
Yes, started out using a homemade Baker style on aspens (built from $5 instructions from a magazine ad!). Bark is soft and the teeth dig in.

Downside is that aspens aren't the safest place for a stand. They are not a "tree" but rather a fruiting body that grows up from a shallow rhizome root system. Meaning even very healthy looking ones fall over regularly on their own in wind. Never mind when they have a 250 lb weight cantilevered off one side.

08-Dec-17
digs, I would certainly be interested in taking a look...

08-Dec-17
Digs, once you get established, become a sponsor here on Bowsite and my guess, at 8 pounds your stand could take off quite well.

08-Dec-17
Digs you lost me at 1000. I’ll pack an extra 8 pounds for a stand that costs 800 less all day long.

08-Dec-17
Digs make me a lock on that functions just like lone wolf assualt and I'm in. A climber in the mid west is way to limiting. A stand and sticks can go anywhere.

08-Dec-17
What Scrappy said x2. Carbon lock on stand and sticks...way cool and light...but expensive...I want one!!!

08-Dec-17
How many guys here have spent $800-$1000 on a backpack to save 2-3 pounds over the weight of a $200-$300 backpack? An 8 pound climbing treestand would be a 12 pound savings over the weight of a Lone Wolf sit and climb which retails for $430. My sit and climb is my go to stand when possible and with the amount of time I spend packing it I would definitely consider a carbon fiber alternative if it had similar features.

I tell you what dig, put me on your pro staff and I'll test and advertise the crap out of it. I retire in a year and I'll be doing a lot more hunting :-)

08-Dec-17
Gents, I greatly appreciate all of your comments. This has been a dream to design and make ready for my fellow hunters. Climbing sticks and lock on were on my list to next to develop after the climber was finished. The company is called Carbon Hunt and I hope to have all this ready by first quarter next year. This will be mostly direct to you hunters as well as a few select quality retail shops. The Coyote stand will be something to see, of that I promise.

08-Dec-17
Digs just please make the lock on as close to the lone wolf assault as you can with the same features.

12-Dec-17
I have 3 lone wolf climbers and a hang on with sticks ($1600). I average 7.6 miles a day hunting public land for whitetails during the rut. To, cut the weight in half I would gladly pay $1k for a one time purchase (one complete sitka outfit is like $2500)

12-Dec-17
I remember when the Bakers first became available (1976 our area). What a tremendous improvement to nail in wood or just "sit on a limb" tree hunting

12-Dec-17
I’d pay a grand for a stand that lite to lug around in these mountains. Even my current Lone Wolf hand climber is just too much to pack on some of my journeys.

• Sitka Gear