Paul@thefort's embedded Photo
these bucks offered in-tell last year in exchange for some grub
these bucks offered in-tell last year in exchange for some grub
"Ok, boss, when are we going goose hunting,?" Chase stated
"Ok, boss, when are we going goose hunting,?" Chase stated
Well, finely December is here, my deer and elk season is over and almost forgotten so it must be goose season with the bow and arrow. Hard to believe this will be the seventh year hunting the local geese.

You may remember,two years ago I had a friendly Big Horned Own give me some in-tell on what was happening on the goose scene. And last year, the neighborhood deer, squirrel, and eagle passed on similar information.

This morning, Chase the wonder dog, gave me that questioning look. "ok boss, I have been hearing geese flying right over the house so when are we going goose hunting?"

07-Dec-17

so this morning I loaded Chase into the Tacoma (8 years old with 171,000 miles) and we set off to check out the hunting grounds just up the road (out side of the city limits) and within a mile from the house. Recent weather had been colder and windy with morning temp below freezing.

07-Dec-17

Just up the road and three properties from where I hunt, I find this flock of yard hoppers. Last year the geese did not relate to this field as it had been mowed down to where there was no green grass. This field has always been a good indicator of goose activity.

07-Dec-17

no geese in the field but I know they are very close by
no geese in the field but I know they are very close by
a thin layer of ice on the pond
a thin layer of ice on the pond
So I head over to the property I can hunt and check out the field and pond

07-Dec-17

and then this flock lands on the large lake across the street
and then this flock lands on the large lake across the street
on the way off the field and down the driveway, I spy a small flock on the adjacent property

07-Dec-17

So the stage is being set for another bow hunting adventure and not too far from home this time. Gotta love that; Warm bed, breakfast, hot coffee, short drive!

The next stage is to set up the blind, ready the decoys, both Big Foot and Ultimate Predator Wind Drifter decoys. Stay tuned for the next stage as goose hunting time is just around the corner and within a week or so. Next stage, setting up the blind.

07-Dec-17
Looking forward to the hunt !

07-Dec-17
Looking forward as well.

07-Dec-17
Im interested to see how the wind drifters affect how many more birds commit. Im feeling like it will help tremendously. Back when we used to hunt geese a TON, i always felt movement in the deeks was what was needed. Good luck!!!

07-Dec-17

Drifter decoys on rt and left of Big Foot
Drifter decoys on rt and left of Big Foot
Justin, last year I mixed in a few Drifters with the Big Foots, and that worked the best for my situation. Under the right conditions, I will try to use just the Drifters. I am sure it will work out fine.

07-Dec-17
Looking forward to your hunt again this year Paul! I always enjoy your adventures with Chase. It's a great thing to have a good dog to keep us out of trouble! Best of luck to you guys this winter.

07-Dec-17
Look forward to this every year.... good luck

07-Dec-17
Awesome! It's that time again. Looking forward to it.

07-Dec-17
Awesome! It's that time again. Looking forward to it.

07-Dec-17
It's an annual event watching/reading about you lay the smack down on those birds, Paul! Good luck and keep us posted/entertained, my friend! Happy hunting, LUKE

07-Dec-17
Good luck Paul!

07-Dec-17
One of my favorite threads ! I'm ready when you are Paul !

07-Dec-17
Holy crap it’s already been a year all ready. Great thread Paul.

07-Dec-17
Looks like a ton of fun!

07-Dec-17
Brad, you state "its already been a year". I do believe the year does not have 365 days but only half that. And also, the 24 hr clock has been reduced to 12- 18 hrs. Time flies for sure as we mature. Paul

07-Dec-17
Always a great thread to follow!

07-Dec-17

adding military camo and local brush and grass
adding military camo and local brush and grass
it blends right in
it blends right in
Setting up the blind. I use this Double Bull Dark Horse blind as my main blind for geese

07-Dec-17

and some times a natural hide
and some times a natural hide
Later I may move it to the top of the hill

07-Dec-17
Good luck Paul. I love following this hunt.

07-Dec-17

Shock Wave in action
Shock Wave in action
and added a Montana Gold one pin adjustable sight a few years ago
and added a Montana Gold one pin adjustable sight a few years ago
Shock Wave, before and after
Shock Wave, before and after
Ok, geese spotted, permission granted by landowner, blind set up soon ( pictures from last year). Equipment: bow, arrows, broad heads, calls, decoys. Hunting license with state and Federal migratory bird stamps. Lets start with bow, arrow and broad head.

I use the same compound bow I use for deer, elk, turkeys, etc. I have reduced the poundage to 60 # as it may be cold on some mornings and harder to draw a higher poundage bow with a cold shoulder/arm.

Same Gold Tip carbon arrows but I tip them with NAP Shock Wave mech. BH , the same one I use while turkey hunting.

07-Dec-17

this young WT checks out the goose decoys
this young WT checks out the goose decoys
a normal set up with another group to the left
a normal set up with another group to the left
and then last year added a few Wind Drifter decoys in the spread, (Thanks Lance)
and then last year added a few Wind Drifter decoys in the spread, (Thanks Lance)
Decoys: 20 Big Food goose decoys. Some times set up in two different groups (ten decoys) with a landing/shooting spot in between. Decoys all set up within 20 yards, and many geese are shot in the 10-20 yard range. With the adjustable sight and the use of a range finder, I have killed geese out to 32 yards.

07-Dec-17

watch your fingers!
watch your fingers!
Happy dog
Happy dog
So then added in the dog. Oh sorry, Chase the wonder dog. And bring a lot of dog treats.

07-Dec-17
Important to bring a good one-eyed dog!

;-)

07-Dec-17
Important to bring a good one-eyed dog!

;-)

07-Dec-17
I look forward to this thread every year. Show us how it's done Paul.

07-Dec-17

body shot
body shot
Pick a Spot. Well I would love to say I pick an exact spot. well sort of. But I aim for dead center, body shot and that seem to do the job quite well. I mostly do the same on turkeys.

Geese seem to give up when shot. The will try to fly or to "run" away but If you break a wing the dog or hunter can run them down. Unlike a turkey that has quick feet and can out run you, the goose can not. In the years I have hunted them with the bow, I have not lost one. I did have one fly away but I saw him land in an adjacent field wounded, 300 yards away, and when I circled down wind, chase found him and he was dispatched.

08-Dec-17
Circled down wind of a wounded goose,,,a real hunter right right there friends!!! Love the pics of Chase!! He looks like he loves being out there with you Paul,,great thread,,and great shooting!

08-Dec-17
probably my favorite annual thread... Awesome!

08-Dec-17
Paul, what happened to Chases eye? I don't remember that from past years. Very nice looking dog.Man do I love labs.

08-Dec-17

LTG11, A bow + geese + dog == lots of fun.

08-Dec-17
One of my favorite threads of the year. I gotta do this one of these years, wish I had the time. Go get'm Chase and Paul!

08-Dec-17
Ken, 5 years ago, Chase chased a fox across the county road. Coming back out of the road side ditch, he was hit by a truck which damaged his eye and we had the vet take it out and patch it up. He has not missed a "beat" since then. We train all year long on singles to triple retrieves to keep his depth perception and marking ability up to par. Fun dog for sure. Part of the family. Paul

08-Dec-17
Sky carp! Good luck, Paul....looking forward to the hunt!

08-Dec-17
I have no idea why I enjoy this thread so much every-year but I do. Must be the dog-work, nothing like watching a pup run down a crippled winged critter, my favorite thing on the planet.

08-Dec-17
Good luck Chase and Paul!

10-Dec-17

Sunday morning. Dec. 10th. Getting closer to the first archery goose hunt. Set up the blind yesterday afternoon. Dusted of the goose decoys. Shooting well out to 30 yards. Good supply of Milk Bone treats for Chase the wonder dog. Heading out tomorrow for a three day pheasant hunt (shotgun) in eastern Colorado. Should be prime time next week when I return. Thanks for following along. Paul

10-Dec-17
Nice Paul, looks like the same shotgun I have. It shoots better then I do.

10-Dec-17
Good gun Browning O/U. I have had this one since 1988. Recently sent it back to Browning for new firing pins and springs. A little heavy for field work pheasants, but I really like it for duck hunting. Paul

10-Dec-17
I think mine was the same year and is the fixed skeet barrels which seems good for closer shots. Mine is in 20 gauge though. My buddy sold it to me for $600 so I couldn’t pass it up. Mint condition too!

12-Dec-17

Ok, back from a two day pheasant to eastern Colorado's Walk In areas. Killed two roosters, one each day. Only flushed two others but Chase and I had a great time together. He got up both birds and did two great retrieves. Goose hunting will follow but the weather is craze with temps in the 60s. Need some cold weather.

12-Dec-17
Like the others, looking forward to this. Bring on the bacon wrapped, BBQ'd, Goose roll ups.

Paul, how do you cook your goose? LOL

12-Dec-17

Bob, mostly jerky from the breast meat.

13-Dec-17

Inshart's embedded Photo
Inshart's embedded Photo
Thanks, just wondering; for the most part I don't care much for water fowl except the bacon roll ups and jerky.

Ironic - I just made 8# of Elk scrap jerky yesterday - vacuum sealing it today.

13-Dec-17
One time.... find yourself a good recipe for General Tso's chicken and instead of using chicken, chunk ur goose breast up and put it in a bowl of milk overnight. The next day, bread it however you want and deep fry it. deep frying the breast in chunks takes the all of the tough or gaminess out of the meat . I promise it will be the best General Tso's Chinese food you've ever eaten only you know exactly what the meat is…

13-Dec-17
Stick - I looked up the Genreal's recipe - looks really good. LOTS of ingredients tho.

13-Dec-17
Its a project. BUT, its worth every second especially if you like that sorta food. Back before having kids when i used to hunt geese with my buddies here in southcentral PA(not the migration flyway), the 5 of us would be out EVERY night. If we didnt have a field to hunt, we were following birds off water to feeding fields to GET permission in a field to hunt. The most we ever killed in one season was 264. I have eaten goose a hundred different ways trying to figure out what to do with all that meat. The jerky is a must and a fantastic way to thank the landowners who let you hunt and i also grind in a breast with my deer burger when makin venny balogna or sticks. But when i stumbled across the general tso recipe and made it for the first time at our end of season party together with our families, that crockpot was by far the favorite dish and we even had made some backstrap. In the following years, i had to start keeping a little separate at home because i wouldnt have any left after the party. Obviously, the key is the sauce. Get the sauce right and you will never have to eonder what other than jerky to do with goose breast again.

13-Dec-17
Are you saying that if you put that sauce on carp, it will..................... well you get the drift.

13-Dec-17

blind brushed in,
blind brushed in,
from 20 yards away
from 20 yards away
decoys behind the blind, ready to go
decoys behind the blind, ready to go
Wind drifter goose decoys will add some movement to the spread.
Wind drifter goose decoys will add some movement to the spread.
ok, December 13th, getting closer to actually hunting the yard hopper geese. Set up the blind and brushed it in. Placed 16 Big Foot decoys and a crate of Wind Drifters behind the blind.

13-Dec-17

Yard Hoppers enjoying the feed and warm weather. The large lake is down the highway and within 1/4 mile.
Yard Hoppers enjoying the feed and warm weather. The large lake is down the highway and within 1/4 mile.
Just down the road and three properties from where I hunt, 67 geese feeding. Notice the large dead cottonwood tree in the back ground. Thst tree is in the pasture where I hunt.

13-Dec-17

So, I may start this goose hunt on Friday. If I do I will open a new POST, titled Yard Hoppers, Part 2. Hoping for this to happen. my best, Paul

13-Dec-17
It's been probably 10 years since I've hunted geese - when they come in with set wings .... oh man, just the nuts!!!!!!

13-Dec-17
Best of luck!

13-Dec-17
Gett'em Paul.

13-Dec-17
You got me there Paul. Im not eatin carp no matter the sauce....lol

Have been super excited for this thing to kick off. Good luck!!!

13-Dec-17
A Bowsite Classic!

Bring it on Paul and Chase!!

Mark

14-Dec-17
Ok, you guys have talked me into it for this morning, ie, Thursday Dec 14th. A light snow last night. I will open a new post, Yard Hoppers Part 2.

14-Dec-17
Cant wait Paul, Im looking forward to this!

03-Jan-18
ttt

• Sitka Gear