Linecutter 19-Dec-17
ELKMAN 22-Dec-17
papadeerhtr 22-Dec-17
HDE 23-Dec-17
Stringwacker 24-Dec-17
LBshooter 24-Dec-17
Bowriter 24-Dec-17
10-Dec-17
Possibly you are talking about Tom Oar-Lives in the Yakk Valley of MT. Former rodeo cowboy, good friend of mine and I would bet the farm it is staged. Good beard, bad knees. he was/is a star on the TV show Mountain Men. I kinda thought they might spin him off. Good hunter/trapper makes a ton of money tanning hides and selling buckskin and knapping knives. Makes bows and arrows, too. But to do a show like that, it has to be staged.

10-Dec-17
I don’t think that is the same guy Bowriter. I think the guy the OP is talking about is Laramy Miller. I don’t think this show is any different than any other show in that most of the filming is done after the kill.

10-Dec-17
Is there any real hunting show on. Tv

10-Dec-17
Stories like this kinda remind me of the Clint Eastwood movie Unforgiven. The writer that follows all the gunslingers writing "letters and such" and then meets a real western bad a$$ in Will Munny ! I met a real trapper a few times in the back country of northern ontario years ago he lived in a remote bush cabin and was a real mean SOB. I and a buddy survived a near death experience and he heard about it thats about the only reason he talked to us. He let me go with him to check a few beaver traps and man that guy had near death experiences as a routine. I doubt he would ever show up in the history channel LOL

10-Dec-17
Probably wasn't staged when he shot off his little finger. It's been over a year and I haven't deleted that episode, yet.

-Joe

10-Dec-17

Bonafide's Link
I think you are talking about Laramy Miller, young guy that wears a lot of leather and uses a muzzleloader quite a bit. He started out as a guide and I believe now runs an outfitter business in the areas you speak of. See for yourself.

10-Dec-17
It's real and so is wrestlin.

10-Dec-17
Bob, LOL!

ElkNut/Paul

10-Dec-17
I've watched it a couple times and must say as fake as it is ...... well I'll leave it at that. Bob pretty much covered it in his one sentence.

10-Dec-17
Laramie Miller is a great guy. I grew up with his uncles in sw Colorado. His uncle Dirk and Colt owned and ran an outfitting business out of Ignacio, Colorado. Dirk and Colt were killed in a plane wreck in 1995, when the wheel on the plane hit the top of a tree and flipped the plane...

The Ross's were highly thought of and very well known. They made movies called The Mountain Man series, showing hunts with his hunters. Dirk shot a recurve and was very successful with it. Laramie takes after his uncle Dirk, and is a very good hunter. His passion for running lions and using primitive equipment in well known in Montana, were he lives with his family. He is highly regarded by those that know him and his clients. His tv show isn't staged, he shows it as it happens. He is a great stand up guy.

Maybe we need to find out more about a man before we start saying things about him or his tv show...

10-Dec-17
It is kind of like watching an old narrated Marlin Perkins show or Marty Stouffer series. It IS refreshing to see someo e doing things "old school" who seems to really have respect for nature and the animals he hunts. He uses a LOT of parts of the game he kills, using the leather and sinew, etc. Seems like a genuinely good guy. I would hunt with him or welcome him in my camp any day.

10-Dec-17
Buglmin....I remember Dirk and Colt and when they died in the plane crash, they were definitely outdoorsman. I still frequent the area in Colo....I remember the motorcycle rally during Elk season in Ignacio....if you survived that the Elk hunting was a walk in the park.

10-Dec-17
Dang Rick...Mary and marlin,,,haven't heard those names I grew up watching , in a while..between them and Fred bear,,,I was ready to bow hunt the world!!! lol,,,so I don't get my ass ripped,,I simply meant Marty and marlin opened my eyes to the BIG picture to a world full of game..not hunting...that's all on Fred..

10-Dec-17
Franklin... Dirk and Colt were some great guys, no doubt about it!! Dirk was known to fly the areas early the morning before the hunts. Seems he wanted the pilot to circle around so he could look at something. What they were doing that low, no one knows!! They both left behind wifes and young kids... Laramie is a chip of the old block, almost a splitting image of Dirk!! From the elk skin vest to the leggings, he is Dirk Ross. I enjoy sitting and talking with him. He's very down to earth, and a pleasure to be around.

10-Dec-17
Anthony, that's great to know bud! Thanks for the input!

ElkNut/Paul

10-Dec-17
Laramie is a local... It's as fake as fake can get.... Guaranteed....

10-Dec-17
I saw the recent shows of deer hunting on Kodiak. Sure looked like a lot of it was staged...poorly. They even had a bear attack...I can’t remember the last time my eyes rolled back in my head so far so many times. I don’t think it will be up for any Oscars.

The mountain man lost his nipple or something off his Hawken and had to hunt with the guides bear shotgun AND he had to downgrade his clothing from all the great buckskin and wool to that new fangled Sitka Gear. Hmmmmm...that’s odd. Hah!

10-Dec-17
I know who Laramie is as well. Knew him when he worked as a roustabout laborer in oil and gas before he became a "mountain man"...

11-Dec-17

Bowriter's embedded Photo
Tom some 40 years ago.
Tom some 40 years ago.
This is how he got one of the bad knees.
This is how he got one of the bad knees.
Apparently, I have never seen that show, nor do I care to. I started watching The Mountain Men, because I knew Tom. First couple years, it was okay. Now, it sucks. In 1974, I wrote a magazine article about Tom and our rodeo days. Here are a couple pictures of him, from that article.

11-Dec-17
I still have a few of Dirk and Colts VCR hunting movies.

That was really sad when I found out they had died in a plane crash.

Good luck, Robb

11-Dec-17
Like Buglmin (Anthony), I watched Laramie grow up. I lived in SW Colorado for 30+ years. My wife went to school with his mom. He is about 6-7 and was a heck of basketball player at Ignacio High School. His uncles and grandpa were quite the hunters. His uncle Troy and his cousins still outfit in Pagosa Springs. The show may be staged, but at least it's a lot more realistic than some of the knuckleheads shooting animals with modern muzzleloader at 300 yards! I agree that they could lose the narrator-he wears me out.

Mike

12-Dec-17
Staged..... they pretty much all are to some degree. I enjoy his show honestly.... much better entertainment than the Bushman/Drury/reallymossytrees stuff. Kind of like the narrator.... gives an old school touch like mentioned, Wild Kingdom, Wide World of Sports, etc. Kinda feel for his horse when he's riding though.... big bugger....

PS...... I know Robert Redford really isn't Jeremiah Johnson either but still enjoy the entertainment......

16-Dec-17
He seems like a good guy but his trap sets suk! Doesn't bed his traps well, no guide sticks or step sticks, no bottlenecks. Dirt hole sets look like he is burying his cat the holes are so big!

16-Dec-17
"like he's burying his cat" Now that's funny!^^^

19-Dec-17
i enjoy it

19-Dec-17
I have watched it for about 3 years now when it plays. I have never seen him push any products from sponsors. He doesn't even mention who makes the rifle he shoots and I don' believe he has even mentioned the caliber. In his shows if he doesn't get anything that is fine, he seems to just be out for the enjoyment of the hunt in the area he is hunting. In the episodes where he uses the shotgun on Kodiak Island he states he uses (borrows) the shotgun (using the bead only no rifle sights) because after missing a shot he found out his sights were way off. He admitted to why he had to use the shotgun and from what I can tell has not tried to hide anything. Would you waste a trip to Kodiak if you had issues with your main weapon of choice? I have seen him have misfires on the show especially when it was wet, from what I have seen he doesn't do much to cover the gun during such times. I use sidelock muzzleloaders, both flint and cap, and I can tell you I do everything "I" can to keep the powder dry, tape over the end of the barrel and use a cows knee for the lock area. Don't know why he doesn't try and teach his viewers how to keep from having issues when it is wet. I guess it is only a show. He does have trapping episodes the are informative. DANNY

22-Dec-17
I'm sure it's no more "real" than anything else on so called "hunting" TV... (And I do not watch a minute of any of it)

22-Dec-17
I enjoy his show myself. is it real prob not but I think its one of the better ones. I like how he shows diff things like tanning hides or trapping or not even killing something every episode. Some of us on here are way to critical of others.

23-Dec-17
^^^ maybe so. I remember the only episode I ever watched and he made one very incorrect statement. But that is not the reason I don't watch...

24-Dec-17
I'm thinking this is his final season. This morning may have been the last eposide

24-Dec-17
Most are staged and some are fun tomcat hand some are just down right horrible. The Alaskan bush people, I heard that they actually live is Seattle Washington. So when the idiots boys say what's an iPhone it's a bit hard to believe. And when they go hunting wi a rifle with no iron sights or scope, again, hard to believe. All these so called reality shows with car deals etc are all staged, the car deals are made before the shooting and same with the home buying shows, houses already picked out and bought, then the writers take over.

24-Dec-17
Alaskan Bush People is one of my least favorite shows. In fact, I can't stand it. May have something to do with knowing they are far from poor and always have been. Never seen the show this thread was originally about-can't comment. But I cannot think of a single reality show involving "an outdoor life style", that is not scripted to one extent or another. Remember, it is entertainment and the television version of entertainment is not reality.

I know two of the "stars" of the The Mountain Men. One I can't stand, never could, the other is a friend. Both are getting tired of the "scripting". When you start inventing drama, it gets old, real quick.

• Sitka Gear