Bowriter 14-Dec-17
midwest 14-Dec-17
t-roy 14-Dec-17
Bowriter 15-Dec-17
glidingindian 15-Dec-17
glidingindian 16-Dec-17
Charlie Rehor 17-Dec-17
10-Dec-17
Had an outfitter picked for myself and two buddies. One of them ran across recent negative post on Bowsite. Said he had too many hunters, especially gun. Might still go with that outfitter as I had previous good experience few years ago but sounds like things may have changed. I feel obligated to do some more research. Looked for a recent thread on this topic but couldn’t find it. Prefer smaller outfitters that emphasize archery , any help appreciated

13-Dec-17
I've got a 5 day hunt with a fella near West point Iowa that starts Monday .I can give details when I return if you'd like , hopefully I can add to the whitetail MP good luck in your search MikeC

13-Dec-17
Take a look at Steve Hanson, Straight Arrow Outfitters, near Albia. Steve is a good, honest and hard working guy. Has been guiding hunters in SE Iowa for a long time, since before it was the fashionable place to bowhunt big deer. He lives in the area and has tremendous properties that do not get overhunted. Sent a buddy there last month and he had a great hunt, saw a bunch of 140 plus bucks, including one that was pushing 180, but he hunted hard, doing all day sits for 7 days and did not kill. They're there but it is not an easy hunt! Good luck in your search.

13-Dec-17
X2 Steve Hanson. Bowhunted with Steve three times and have killed three quality bucks. He has a 140 minimum to ensure older age class deer. My deer this year was a 5 year old. Pm me if you have any questions.

13-Dec-17
It may be wise to find out for certain that the outfitter that you book with does indeed have written access to, or has leased the properties that you will be hunting, and that the landowner knows that he is taking clients onto that property. That could be no small task, unfortunately. Before I moved back home to Iowa, I would apply for a nonresident tag and I would get a solicitation in the mail from an outfitter in my area. I had no need of an outfitter due to the fact that I could hunt my family’s farm. Long story short, this guy got permission to hunt an adjoining property under the pretense that only he would be hunting it, which was bs. I actually found several of his stands on our property and he was eventually kicked out of the adjoining property the next year. There is a bowsiter that I have become good friends with way before I knew what bowsite was, that hunted with this guy and could go into even more detail what a shyster this guy is. In fact, after becoming friends, he showed me on an aerial map a couple of stands that he hunted that were on our property, that he assumed that he had permission to be hunting there.

I have a good friend in SE Iowa that has also dealt with an outfitter that has gained access to adjoining land under the pretense of being the only one that is going to hunt it, then brings unsuspecting clients in and charging them for the hunt. Many times this land is owned by older people that aren’t out and about to see who is going in to hunt, or oftentimes the land is owned by people no longer living in the area. When the lady found out what the guy was doing, she kicked him out. There is also a potential liability issue that these unsuspecting landowners could possibly face as well.

Whiskey Ridge Hunts is the SE Iowa outfitter I’m referring to in this instance.

13-Dec-17
Good to know t-roy. I've got 4 points and can't decide what to do or who to go with.

13-Dec-17
WOW......I think that guy is from Mississippi T-Roy

13-Dec-17
You might check with J&S Trophy Hunts. I've never hunted with them but I was hunting a neighboring farm when Steve Shoop, the owner, started his outfitting business in MO back around 1990. He was a great guy.

I've heard good things about Steve Hanson as well.

13-Dec-17
I believe you are correct, Shiloh.

13-Dec-17
I never lived in Mississippi Troy;) I'd check with Genesis though......:0

13-Dec-17
In all seriousness, Ive heard good things about Hanson too.

13-Dec-17
Now I can’t go with him T-roy since you enlightened me. Can I just hunt your place with permission instead of having to trespass;)

13-Dec-17
Let me check my schedule and I’ll get back to you ;-)

13-Dec-17
If he says no, just ask his neighbors. You should be good to go.

14-Dec-17
but but I've heard good things about Genesis too and he only hunts T-Roy's property with Hawkeye when T-Roy is out West :)

14-Dec-17
Ha!!! Some of these old turkey hunters down here will tell you that all you need is a good parking spot;)

14-Dec-17
J&S is good, have hunted with Steve many times. He does not misrepresent his potential. You could also contact Sam Collora, (Mrs. Doe Pee), and ask his opinion. He knows all the outfitters in that area.

14-Dec-17
Ha ha! I'll bring the Ozonics Steve ;)

Sam is a good guy and will shoot you straight. He's also shot a few 'decent' deer... :0

14-Dec-17
I better start going north instead of west from now on then!

14-Dec-17
t-roy-Spent many pleasant nights in Sam's cabin on the skunk river. Had some great hunts and a ton of laughs. Talked to him some months ago and he is still nuts.

14-Dec-17
If you ever drive up the "avenue of the Saints" through Iowa, you'll see Sam's elk farm.

14-Dec-17
Been by there lots of times, Nick, but just haven’t ever stopped in there for some reason. Spoke with Sam at the deer classic several years ago. Seemed like a good guy. He’s killed more than a few gooduns for sure.

15-Dec-17
Truth is, his wife, Bullet, killed most of them. His son, Sammy is a card sharp and one of his daughter's stared a food fight at her wedding. What a great family. Can't find the dang picture...anyway. I'm hunting with Sam, Russ Thornberry, former editor of Buckmaster Magazine and Rob, Sam's son-in-law. Comes a cold morning and i shoot the seventh buck I spar in. Average 11-pointer, maybe 130...maybe. Rob is new to hunting and he is all excited. Thornberry says to Sam, "I bet you get 100 different ways to push deer piss with that picture." Sam replies, "No, we try to use pictures of big deer and we measure them with the Buckmaster system. That way, they seem bigger." Cracked me up. Talk about a fun hunt and some outstanding food, too.

15-Dec-17
Thanks for all the input guys. I went by myself with Nick Boley at Windy Ridge Outfitters few years back and had great experience. I would gladly go back but don’t want to go alone so trying to line up couple friends as well. That negative post one of my buddies found gave them pause on WRO, maybe booking too many hunters? Any info on changes at windy ridge or comments plus or minus ? As always appreciate the input !

16-Dec-17
Thanks for all the input guys. I went by myself with Nick Boley at Windy Ridge Outfitters few years back and had great experience. I would gladly go back but don’t want to go alone so trying to line up couple friends as well. That negative post one of my buddies found gave them pause on WRO, maybe booking too many hunters? Any info on changes at windy ridge or comments plus or minus ? As always appreciate the input !

17-Dec-17
Steve Hanson! But you already heard that:)

• Sitka Gear