kakiat kid 16-Dec-17
Woods Walker 17-Dec-17
LBshooter 17-Dec-17
Tilzbow 17-Dec-17
Tilzbow 17-Dec-17
14-Dec-17

Hessticles's embedded Photo
This is my shorthair chase, I may be biased but he is the best dog I've hunted behind. In March he will be 14, pretty much def and gets the doggy flu bout every 3-6 months usually in our bedroom in the middle of the night. When is the right time for him to go to doggy heaven? This was my first dog of my own so it's hard for me to make that decision!

14-Dec-17
Difficult decision for sure. IMO, you must consider quality of life for Chase. For me, the hearing loss would not be part of the equation. I have an old dog now that is 80% deaf and more than 50% blind. There are days she doesn't feel well, but most days she still enjoys life. A vet once told me if a dog is eating, drinking, going to the bathroom regularly...there is no real reason to put it down. If the dog is suffering, it likely won't do those things on a regular basis. He said the dog will let you know when it is time. I've had to put a few down since receiving that advice....and I would say the man's advice was spot on.

14-Dec-17
When you care more about his quality of life than your feelings the time is right.

14-Dec-17
I'm with pav. It sure is tough to see them go but I can't stand to see them suffer. My last Beagle was almost completely deaf but he could still hunt. I just had to follow him when I let him hunt since I couldn't call him back. I wasn't shooting rabbits anymore anyway. Just liked to hear him bawl when he was on a hot track.

14-Dec-17
pav has it right, IMO.

14-Dec-17
Pav is right on. I had to put my short hair down last week at 15. One of the hardest things I ever had to do! I took my vets advise.

14-Dec-17
Our beagle has bone cancer and our vet just gave us the same advice. As long as he's eating ,drinking and is mobile he's ok for now.

14-Dec-17

Scrappy's embedded Photo
Scrappy's embedded Photo
Scrappy's embedded Photo
Scrappy's embedded Photo
My boy is only 7 and cancer has just about taken him. My vet has given us the same advice as Pav. It really really really sucks.

14-Dec-17
Pav is correct.

14-Dec-17
PAV is correct. The best advice is that Chase will let you know.

14-Dec-17

LINK's embedded Photo
LINK's embedded Photo
I don’t recall anyone in my family ever putting a dog down. Seams like the lord usually takes care of that.

My visla is 11 and has become an inside dog in the winter. Last winter he had lock jaw, he had an eye get scratched hunting and I thought it was going to be dead, his hearing is toast. If you put a dog down when they won’t eat or drink, how many days can they go without eating or drinking?

14-Dec-17
PAV all the way, It's a very difficult thing to do, but it's all about quality of life. For the animal, not us. I just put my Brittany down at 13, she had a couple of strokes and could barely walk, and wasn't eating, it was time.

Sorry you are facing this! God Bless!

14-Dec-17

SlipShot's embedded Photo
SlipShot's embedded Photo
I feel your pain, there is no real good answers here. Our dog is 11 years old, and about a year ago he got really sick and we spent thousands at the vet. We cannot afford to do that again. Since then he has been slowly fading. We have decided that as long as he has more good days than bad we will do what we can to make him comfortable on the bad. I honestly did not think he was going to make it through the summer, but he is still doing well. He still wants to go for his walks in the morning and the afternoon.

14-Dec-17
you will know. It's a really bad time for sure. I've had my last dog. I'm not going through it anymore.

14-Dec-17
You'll know.....hardest decision to make but you willGood Luck Kip

14-Dec-17
We probably waited too long for our lab this past summer. She was having trouble getting up off the floor, going up stairs, and was leaving messes almost daily in the house. Pav gave good advice.

14-Dec-17
You will know, your dog will let you know. What happened with my last dog, she was at a very restful and at a peaceful spirit which I have not seen her before. They have a way of letting you know they are ready. I have a Siberian Husky that will be 16 in March. His eyes and ears are good, he just is weak in the hind end. When he is gone, it will be a while before we get another.

14-Dec-17
I lost my 10 year old lab two months ago and it was pretty hard on my wife and I. She had plenty of life left in her too, which was the hard part. Her spleen ruptured and there was nothing that could be done. Such a sad situation. She let us know when it was time to go, as soon as she began acting really sick after the diagnosis we took her in. Sadly she only lasted 3 days after the Dr told us the news. Luckily I got to say my goodbyes while she was feeling good the first day after, even found a few grouse for her to flush up.

14-Dec-17
Pav nailed it.

14-Dec-17
Have a Boykin same age as your dog. Can only hear high pitched whistle, cataracts are bad. Her mother made it 16 years.

For me the only thing is when she starts suffering badly or becomes incontinent or something else that makes her life miserable. I will not make her suffer because I don't want to lose her.

This will be the 4th long life dog I've had and you will know when the time has arrived. The question will be whether or not you can do it. We're being philosophical here. The action is much harder.

14-Dec-17

Cheesehead Mike's embedded Photo
A very difficult decision... My lab lived a very long and happy life. I struggled with the decision and when I took him to the vet for the last time my vet told me it was past due and his long life was a tribute to the great care and quality of life he had...

14-Dec-17

I buried him on a hill overlooking his favorite pond on the my property where he lived his entire life.

14-Dec-17
Does anyone have any sad stories of losing their cat? ;)

14-Dec-17

Ace's embedded Photo
Ace's embedded Photo
Most everyone who has been through this has given you excellent advice. The problem is that you're the one who has to make the difficult decision on when the time is right. My German Wirehaired Pointer was deaf and still had plenty of life in her until she was almost 15. Her last hunt was 1/28/17, she pointed a pheasant, I made a nice shot, she brought it to me, and I think we both knew that was her last retrieve. Less than 3 weeks later it was obvious that it was time. She started to have a lot of weakness in her rear legs, she wouldn't eat much unless it was chicken or beef that I cooked fresh and hand fed her. She lost muscle mass, retained fluid and went downhill fast, finally ,she wouldn't eat at all. I called a vet who made house calls and she came over. Cried like a baby, still tear up when I think of her.

I like some have said told myself, that was it, no more dogs, it is just too hard when you lose them. After about 2 or 3 months of not having a bearded canine to greet me when I came home, I decided that maybe I had one more puppy in me.

A few calls and I found a breeder who had an upcoming litter of Spinone Italiano pups. Isabella is possibly the calmest sweetest little puppy I have ever met. She pointed her first bird at 10 weeks old, and she goes everywhere with me. I think the German dogs have too much high speed drive for me anymore, but this little Italian one might be just perfect. Never say never about another dog, sometimes they find you.

Good luck.

14-Dec-17
LOL, ohhh man, you may have just opened the hugest can of worms ever on bowsite. People love their cats as much as we love our dogs. The connection is not the same, but cats live longer and it is tough on cat people when they get a kitten and have to put it down 18 years later.

14-Dec-17
Peco my barn cats usually don’t make it past a year, the coyotes are hard on them. My young daughters will say something like, “ I haven’t seen snowball in a few days, she must have been coyote bait”. Lol, we’ve gone through about 20 in two years.

14-Dec-17
Pav has it right. I have had to do it seven times now and it heartbreaking every time.

I overheard my wife talking to one of her friends that was going through it. She described the loss as 3 days of searing pain that gets easier over time and gradually turns to wonderful memories. I think she is right.

We adopt a lot of senior dogs with issues and deal with it regularly. I currently have 5 dogs. Three rescues that are 10, 11, and 13. I also have a couple of doodles that are 3.

They are all blessings.

I feel your pain.

14-Dec-17
Never an easy decision for sure. LKH nailed it. Easy to be philosophical, but heart wrenching when action is taken. Sometimes, it’s not that easy to know when is the right time, unfortunately.

I had an abandoned dog show up at my doorstep out in the sticks when I was single. I was regularly gone for days at a time, so the last thing I needed was a dog. I figured if I didn’t feed her, she would leave. I made the mistake of telling my Dad about her. I left for a job for a couple of days, and when I got back, the dog was still there, along with a bag of dog food! She ended up being the best dog we’ve ever had. Several years after I got married, the dog came down with a strange disease where she lost her equilibrium and wouldn’t eat. After about a week of this, I felt bad enough for her that I decided that we needed to put her down. Fortunately, my wife, who LOVES dogs, hand force fed her for 3 weeks until she came out of it. Poochie Mama lived for another 5 great years before we did have to finally put her down.

LINK.....I do have a sad story about losing a cat. It was my wife’s cat, but it’s more about how long that bit*#% lived!

14-Dec-17
Pav is 100% correct. I've had dogs my whole life and the very best one is my lab who is now 12. She's hanging in there pretty good, but I know what is coming in the not too distant future. I am dreading it. It will be a very sad day for me, my wife, our 4 kids and most particularly our 3 yo lab mix who never leaves her side. I am sorry you are going through this but it is part of the process of having dogs. Enjoy every minute that you can, and when the time comes you will know. As sad as it is going to be, you will find peace in knowing that you did the right thing at the right time.

14-Dec-17
I put my dog on Prozac and pain pills and it seemed to take 3-4 years off of her age. She's a happy dog again even though her hearing and eyesight are failing her.

14-Dec-17
I'm ready to put down a cat. Damn thing got handed down to me after my divorce from my first wife. She is a PIA. Leaves LONG hair everywhere, along with weekly hairballs and she NEVER covers her turds in the litter box. I think she is going on 17 yrs old. It sounds bad but... it's time for her to go.

You'll make the right decision, Tanner. Sorry for the situation.

14-Dec-17
Totally agree with PAV.

I had two labs, a male 15 years and a female 16 yrs. My male didn't get up for 3 days and peed and pooped on himself so I knew it was time. I told the family I'd be putting him down the next day. Very Sad. However, the next morning when I got up and went to get him he was up and humping my females head. I looked at him and said "today is not your day buddy"... He lived 3 more months... :)

14-Dec-17
"Leaves LONG hair everywhere, along with weekly hairballs and she NEVER covers her turds in the litter box. I think she is going on 17 yrs old."

That IS a good cat...

One of our cats is now 20, blind and apparently deaf but otherwise way too healthy. PAV posed the question correctly - Are you putting the pet to sleep because of the way you or the pet feels?

14-Dec-17

drycreek's embedded Photo
The first deer (out of three) that Sarge found this season
drycreek's embedded Photo
The first deer (out of three) that Sarge found this season
What Pav and Bou said.....

And boy, how I hate these threads. Necesary I know, but I hate them nevertheless.

14-Dec-17
Lol T-Roy. Great story about the dog too. Kinda what I was getting at earlier, some times we get in a hurry to play god in the name of compassion. I usually ask myself what’s more compassionate ending a pets life or give it a chance and et the maker decide. Just like the kill them all thread says, nature is cruel but animals are tough and that’s why I error on the side of give it a chance and see what happens. I’ve seen cows that didn’t stand up for 2-3 weeks walk again.

14-Dec-17
Both of my Labs ended up with vestibular disease. Loss of equilibrium, trembling eyes, crooked heads. Cinder, my black (the best hunting dog ever) was crooked to the left. She came down with congestive heart failure and I put her down. I had to dig her grave the day before as a blizzard was heading our way and I wanted to get that done. Sunny, my yellow was crooked on the right and she only made a week or so after being affected. She was my last dog. I was heart broken for each.

14-Dec-17
I have a dog philosophy, I pick up a new bird dog pup about every 5 years. That way I have at least two fully functioning dogs at any one time. Lots of times (like now) we have 3 dogs with the old one retired. And it helps ease the heart with a couple "family" members around you when that time comes. Having two left also helps them as well with their loneliness. Normally, when it comes time I've put down my own dogs, but haven't had to face that for a long long time, my last 3 died at home basically in their sleep. I hope that will be the case with the next. He's lived a good long natural life.

These are not kennel dogs, they live in the house, sleep in the bedroom (try to sneak into bed all the time, it's a big game to them) and are family. The old retired boy is a tank, he still wants to hunt when I take the others out. Just when i think he's near his end he perks back up the next day and enjoys life another month or three. But he's certainly winding down. Like Pav said.... he will let us know.

14-Dec-17
Rooster.....that’s what my dog had. Also called “old dog disease”. My understanding was that some dogs come out of it and some don’t.

14-Dec-17
There's a difference between being old and gimpy and suffering. Suffering needs to be stopped. My last Lab was still chasing tennis balls at 13. Slowly, and with a gait like an antique rocking horse, but you could tell she still wanted to do it.

What kills me is the folks who are willing to put a dog through heroic veterinary measures and spend incredible sums of money because they, the humans, just can't face letting the dog go. Just seems wrong to me to allow the dog to suffer in order to save myself some pain. Humans can go through chemo or whatever with the hope of being well again, and that's what makes the suffering worthwhile; the animals can only endure what they're facing in the moment.

14-Dec-17
This should be interesting!

14-Dec-17
pav X14

14-Dec-17
I agree 100% with what TD said. Having one to come home to when you have to put one down is a huge comfort, helped me a lot when I put my girl down a few years ago. When ole boy's time comes, it will be a lot tougher.

14-Dec-17
I agree 100% with what TD said. Having one to come home to when you have to put one down is a huge comfort, helped me a lot when I put my girl down a few years ago. When ole boy's time comes, it will be a lot tougher.

14-Dec-17
Wow thanks for all the responses guys! I've wanted to hold out but it's hard for my wife to see him get sick especially when I'm working graveyards and the dog gets sick in our bedroom which ends up waking our two little kiddos and she has to deal with the mess and the kids! I'll take your advice and keep the old boy around! I need to get him on some birds before season ends as this might be his last! He has been pretty much retired cuz he can't hardly move after the first field! One thing about him I've never figured out, and vets don't even know, he constantly shakes like he is freezing. He's done it his whole life, he "shivers" pretty much 24/7 even when it's 90+ degrees. Kinda wierd but before he was old there wasn't a dog that he hunted with that could keep up or even last all day!

14-Dec-17

P.S. this is the only indoor cat I will ever own! ??

14-Dec-17
You will know...I suggest buying a pup now before the eventual, it will be easier to get back in the hunt game. You never replace a good one, a pup just puts a bandaid over the wound until the scar forms. I feel for you brother. You will know.

14-Dec-17

skipmaster1's embedded Photo
skipmaster1's embedded Photo
Hank was 11. He was my first own dog and the protector of my little girls and wife. We hunted birds and bloodtrailed a lot of deer. Might be the best dog I'll ever own. He got really sick on a Sunday afternoon. Very lethargic and would t eat. We went to the vet Monday but by Monday night we knew we'd be putting him down in the morning. We believe a non cancerous tumor he had on his spleen ruptured. Monday night he waited for my girls and wife to go to bed and he laid in my lap and passed away. That was November 20th of this year and I'm still heartbroken. Making the decision to put him down wasn't easy but I knew it was right, he saved me second guessing in the end. Like I said, best dog.

15-Dec-17

Wow sorry skipmaster, at least he went in your arms! This is my oldest loving up on her him!

15-Dec-17
Hessticles, it was the best way..., all things considered. All I can say is listen to your heart, you'll know when it's right.

15-Dec-17
One of the toughest decisions you will ever make;but must be done.I have had dogs all my life,all hunters labs,short-hairs and English Pointers.Had to put down my 15.5 year old GSP last year;I had purchased a GSP pup the year before.

15-Dec-17
Sorry. Glad you and he had such great times together. Sounds like he had a great run.

15-Dec-17
God I hate these threads. I get tears every time as memories come back.

15-Dec-17

Tony Phillips's embedded Photo
Tony Phillips's embedded Photo
It’s been 6-7 years since I had to put Scout down. He was almost 15 years old. Took him to the vet, vet told us when he was listening to his heart, that his heart wasn’t where it should be. X-rays showed 3 large tumors. He lived almost a year after the tumors where found. Came home and he could hardly breath, vet took us right in. It was over in a few seconds. I have had to put 3 dogs down and with 2 of our 3 dogs 12-13 years old it won’t be long before I have to do it again.

15-Dec-17
Hessticles you were indeed blessed with Hank.....several times over.

15-Dec-17
I hear ya 12 yards....god knows,I love my dogs,,,my kids are grown and gone....besides my wife...these are my closest companions,.....I'm a loner man...I have lost a fine dog or 2....god its tough.... 80+ miles today my dog was on the front seat....I'm self employed..my dog goes to work w me ALOT..I've had to turn jobs away that won't allow my best buddy to be there....idk about money....I feel your pain brother...

16-Dec-17
Man, this thread is depressing! My dog turned 14 last week. Best...dog...ever! He's still got some spark but I'll be really surprised if he goes another year judging by how quick he seems to be aging now, it will be a very sad day when he's gone!

"Does anyone have any sad stories of losing their cat? ;)"

Yeah, I actually had a cool cat when I was a kid (someone was giving away free kittens). It was one of those weird cats that was always doing entertaining/stupid things, like stalking and attacking the dog, getting stuck under the couch, or sitting in the driveway and staring at the garage door for hours. My mom forgot he did that and backed over him with the Suburban one day...so we got another puppy.

16-Dec-17
My wife and I have made what I believe is a vain decision to NOT replace our current pair of dogs once they pass. She is tired of pulling dog hair off her clothing and we have some ambitions of travel in the future. I do not think that will stick. I grew up with dogs. Only lived without them for a brief few years in college. Even then I bought a lab and kept him on the QT in my apartment. lol

There are dog owners and dog people. I am certainly the latter. As are most of you, I suspect.

16-Dec-17
I had to have a few put down by following the advice above. it's tough, very tough. all dogs are special but, a bird dog is extra special.

a few years ago I put down a Brittany I had for almost 18 years. she owned me since she was 6 weeks. she was an awesome chukar hunter in her prime. I miss her, a lot.

at 14 she had a stroke late on a Friday afternoon. we nursed her over the weekend and I figured Monday I was taking her to the vet to be put down.

by Sunday she managed to gain some strength and would do her best to eat and drink with our help. she never completely recovered but she recovered enough to eat, drink, do her business, and live a good life for almost another 4 years. I even hunted her another time or two. she was a tough bitch, and continued to be the alpha dog almost to the end despite having very bad eye sight and loss of hearing.

the loss of appetite and control of her plumbing were the deciding factors, as usual. I remember the day. as suggested above, having other dogs makes it a little easier. I could not imagine coming home from work and not having a dog to welcome me.

16-Dec-17
Its a terrible thing. Last year I was "double lunged". Lost my 13 year old lab Guss, (hit by a car) on Dec 7th and lost my father on Dec 23rd. It was a tough December to say the least. The thing with Guss was he never left the yard...ever....my kids opened the door to get something, Guss got out and for what ever reason wandered up to the road and got hit. Person never stopped, I found out on Facebook that a dog was hit while I was searching the neighborhood. He was sick, maybe he knew it was time. Losing dad a few weeks later was the worst day of my life. Rip Pop and Guss...they were quite a pair...fitting I guess...

17-Dec-17
"There are dog owners and dog people. I am certainly the latter. As are most of you, I suspect."

X1 Owl.

17-Dec-17
Only you can make that call, you'll know when it's time.

17-Dec-17

Tilzbow's embedded Photo
Pepper in 2008
Tilzbow's embedded Photo
Pepper in 2008
I’m going through this right now with my nearly 16 year old Wire Hair, Pepper. Is it’s amazing she’s lived this long after being attacked by a pack of coyotes, eating gopher poison and later a sock that blocked her up an had to be removed by the vet. She’s now making a mess every night and really losing muscle mass even though she still eats 4 cups of food a day. Had a long conversation with the vet’s office Friday and they pretty much said the same thing as PAV but added the advice to also consider the dog’s mental attitude and if they’re having more bad days than good both mentally and physically it’s getting close to time. Pepper’s ears rarely perk up anymore and she’s really dopey looking most days, rarely happy like she used to be and coupled with her declining physical condition it’s getting close.

17-Dec-17

Tilzbow's embedded Photo
Tilzbow's embedded Photo
Had to put my lab Booker down in 2008 when he was 9. In a short period he went from the strongest most athletic lab I’d ever been around to having cancer from head to toe. That was an obvious but hardly easy decision.

• Sitka Gear