keepemsharp 16-Dec-17
LINK 16-Dec-17
HUNT MAN 16-Dec-17
Michael 16-Dec-17
timberdoodle 22-Dec-17
14-Dec-17

Thornton's embedded Photo
I wandered into a gun shop today while out bird hunting. This caught my attention on the wall. The old guy behind the counter said it was mounted from sheds found some years back in SW KS and the score is 218" typical. He didn't seem to know too much about it. I found it odd I'd never heard about the deer before.

14-Dec-17
You might be surprised at what is out there, hanging on bar walls, in old homes, tucked away in barns. Keep in mind, unless a serious hunter sees one of these old monsters, very few people know what they are seeing. World record elk, probably not still WR, was found hanging on a bar wall in CO, best I recall. I personally know of a pair of sheds from MB that I suspect would go close to 220-gross. I almost bought them for $50.

14-Dec-17
Don't tell me sbout Manitoba lol. There is a world record living there no doubt! I missed a 200" there last year

14-Dec-17
Wow, incredible buck.

14-Dec-17
I believe they are from the Kansas King buck? Replicas were available for sale 20 years ago or so.

14-Dec-17

Kodiak  's embedded Photo
Kodiak  's embedded Photo
Yep.

14-Dec-17
Yep, The Kansas king sheds, found by liberal If I remember right. I also think part of one of the G2's was originally busted off. I could be wrong but that was the story I heard. Just a giant of a deer!

14-Dec-17
SW Kansas Eh? Glad someone found his sheds.

I'd bet the live deer was probably chased down in a pasture with a pickup and shot out the window by some Kansan. Sad, but been seeing this for 18 years now in western Kansas.

I hunted a 170"-175" WT during bow season this year and come opening day of rifle there was every local and their pick-up trucks circling the area and driving the pastures he was on. Had to laugh when my barely teenage son with a rifle tag and I had him at 150 yards at daybreak after a 1 mile hike in and he had broke off his entire left side. Some local yocal probably killed him the last weekend so they could say they got their buck (from their pick up)

14-Dec-17
You can tell he was a young deer by the mass. Giant typicals are usually 4.5 or less. Older than that the abnormal points appear.

Klaus’s Lebrecht is a master at reproductions.

14-Dec-17
We have some challenges in Kansas like every state but if you our state so much and the people that live here stay in Colorado.

14-Dec-17
BoonROTO if you could post in english I could respond but I really can't understand your post?

From what I can understand from your broken english........we won't stay in Colorado as we love killing your big bucks that are behind every tree. LOL.

14-Dec-17
Sorry to hijack your thread Thornton. Moving on.....

14-Dec-17

I should have done my research. There was a bigger bucks sheds found in Nebraska in the 50's that would have beat everyone including the Kansas King. Quinn- I find you Coloradoans to be road hunters as well. Luckily for this one, he survived everybody so I could shoot him the last hour of the last day :)

14-Dec-17
Nice buck Thornton! Bow kill?

15-Dec-17

15-Dec-17
Thornton,

Thornton,

Sorry I was just asking if it was a bow kill? I guess I already assumed the answer and anticipated the irony.

1. You advertise on this thread World Record WT Bucks in Kansas but bash anyone on the Kansas forum that's a non-resident for coming to YOUR state to hunt YOUR deer. If you don't want us coming stop advertising it.

2. You couldn't wait to post your picture with that nice rifle killed muley buck during the rut in CO on THE BOWSITE just to take a shot at us Non-Residents or me which is fine. I hope you at least put a few orange items on to capture some photos.

3. Of course you have observed road hunters in Colorado assuming you hunted during the rut with a rifle in the Colorado 3rd or 4th Season. Just like KS, CO has plenty of rifle road hunters.

4. Your heavy clothing in that pic isn't similar to what BOWsiters were wearing in September per our temps here in CO?

15-Dec-17
Nice work Quinn

15-Dec-17
Thorton, How did you miss a 200" deer with rifle. You regularly practice off hand at 400 yards I remember reading. I thought you were good to 600?

15-Dec-17
I might be wrong but I thought the Kansas King and the Kansas Prince, same deer, were found just west of Englewood Kansas a ways by the Goodnights. It’s not a pine forest but not the terrain you see around liberal either.

15-Dec-17
there was a pretty good feature article about these 2(?) bucks in North American Whitetail a few years ago.

15-Dec-17
Muley rifle kill during the rut... Like stealing...

Nice buck anyway.

15-Dec-17
I saw a video a while back that profiled sheds from a Nebraska giant that was said to have topped the WR. I think Dick Idol profiled it and made a bronze and/or painting of it as well if I remember correctly. The sheds were found by a farmer and they sat on his mantle for decades before someone discovered them. I remember them mentioning that even though they sat and dried out over the years it would still top the current WR if it was killed by a hunter.

15-Dec-17
Bueller?

Bueller?

I seem to remember a story several years ago about a guy wounding a giant buck with a bow near the Marais Des Cygnes River in eastern Kansas. Something about it ran into a wildlife preserve and he wasn’t allowed to go in there to track it. I was thinking people had found the previous year’s sheds, and they were close, or exceeded the world record.

15-Dec-17
tobywon-you are correct. My point exactly.

15-Dec-17
Link is correct, The Kansas Prince sheds were the next years antlers off the Kansas King buck.

15-Dec-17
Quinn,I'm wearing bird hunting pants and an unlined sweatshirt. It was up to 70 degrees and had i worn anymore, I would have overheated packing him the 1 mile mile out of the lava rock strewn hole he was in. It was second rifle and there was no rut going on. I saw 3 bucks in 5 days that were on public. One was a fork horn, the other a 4x3. I took a shot at you because of your smartass jab at Ks hunters when I witness truckbeds full of the same in Colorado. This rifle season here in KS, I saw no road hunting and very few rifle hunters. I had no intention of ever posting that until your mouth started running as I shot it over two months ago and could have easily posted it on the mule deer pole. As I suspected, the original buck I posted was found before the onslought of NR showed up. Besides, if all NR are welcome to hunt here if they are as good as you and pass up 170" deer. I never had a problem with NR until they introduced corn piles and leasing 20x more land than they could ever hunt. For this reason, I had to buy my own place because I lost over 10,000 acres of verbal or written permission that I and many other locals could hunt. The original post was a feeler. I saw the mount in person for the first time yesterday and I wanted to know more about the deer. As with many on here, I have been following world record stories for years.

15-Dec-17

tobywon's Link
This is the Nebraska buck story I saw on video.

15-Dec-17
Furthermore Quinn, the only time I bashed you was when you were trolling the KS site bragging about leasing and shooting "our" deer.

15-Dec-17
Thornton, I stand corrected. That's a great public land buck.

15-Dec-17
Cool story

15-Dec-17
Ive got pictures of that replica from a cabin in MN. Some guy said he shot with muzzloader a day after the season, so he didn't enter it in "the books". LOL. Claimed it was his deer...

15-Dec-17
Hook, line and sinker.

Nice second rifle season buck though. Congrats.

This NR Kansas Deer hunter doesn’t lease, use corn piles or road hunt.

16-Dec-17
I never have heard of a score nor think the owner ever scored it. The giant deer remains in my mind to this day. In Grant county Kansas there is a true 14 point hanging on the wall of a farm house. I really wish I had a picture to show here but that deer is simply amazing. There are barns and old farmsteads full of Giants from sea to shinning sea across America.

16-Dec-17
Why does Kansas have such great whitetails?

16-Dec-17
"Why does Kansas have such great whitetails?"

Nutrition-genetics-age. Same as anywhere else. They are of a sub-species that has large bodies and large antlers and they have a superb soil composition providing a superb food source. The rest is just letting them get some age.

16-Dec-17
""Why does Kansas have such great whitetails? ""

IMO one key I believe is they control hunter numbers in some of their seasons, particularly NR's. They do not need APR's to have nice bucks. IMO Kansas and Iowa do it right.

16-Dec-17
I live here and we used to control numbers. Back in the old days, (pre - 90's) almost everybody that bowhunted saw or shot booners. I've hunted for months this year and not seen one. I have however, witnessed public land turn into a circus in some areas.

16-Dec-17

ROUGHCOUNTRY's embedded Photo
ROUGHCOUNTRY's embedded Photo
We have no record of the Kansas King or Kansas Prince ever being killed........simply disappeared without a trace except for the sheds they left behind. Some think they were the same deer but one of the landowners where sheds were found saw them on the hoof and swears they were different deer......actually 3 with the King and two twins that supposedly one of which was the Prince. Dick Idol wrote the original article in North American Whitetail in 1994. Fast forward to a few years back and I turned up a 98 inch 7 point shed from the neighboring ranch and same time period in the early 90's. It looks similar but neither was a standing 7 like mine and I had to get the G2 repaired like the original King left antler. Sheds all came from southwest Kansas not far from the Cimmarron river. Some people have a hard time believing TWO giants could live on the same ranch but this was before non-resident hunting was permitted in Kansas. The age structure was definitely better and many areas simply were not hunted unlike today. My article was published in NAW in September of 2015.......interesting read and they could also have been twin buck fawns as well.

16-Dec-17
Why is it that Montana people know all about KS deer? This is what's wrong with archery hunting today IMO.

16-Dec-17
Ground hunter I think you might be referring to a more recent Kansas King buck, killed sometime by a hunter in the last decade.

16-Dec-17
Because he lived there for 10 years and loves hunting and collecting antlers. Your Attitude Keepemsharp is what is wrong with hunting . IMO. Hunt

16-Dec-17

Michael's Link
The General from Ne is a cool story. I remember reading about it when NAW wrote the article.

2 years before the king buck (Wisconsin buck) had a common base point ruling kick it out of contention. There was a buck in Ne that was shot that had a similar rack that could have challenged the record. I don’t know if the Ne deer was ever scored or not. It did have similar common base points as the king buck.

Here is the article on the king buck scoring.

22-Dec-17
B&C changed the rules on scoring the John King (WI) buck after he submitted it for scoring. By the rules at the time it was originally submitted, it should've been scored as the new wr whitetail. Just saying... D&DH did a good job of covering that mess.

• Sitka Gear