Ucsdryder 16-Dec-17
Kodiak 16-Dec-17
Topgun 30-06 16-Dec-17
Kodiak 16-Dec-17
Kodiak 16-Dec-17
wytex 16-Dec-17
WapitiBob 18-Dec-17
14-Dec-17
If you could only pick one week to bow hunt elk in Wyoming, when would you go for the best experience and best chance at a 300”+ bull? We’re starting to look at options for 2019. Thanks!

14-Dec-17
Sept 1-10 for calling herd bulls . 15-25 for bugling.

14-Dec-17
Best experience and best chance for a 300+ bull? You can have a great experience anytime...depends on the dynamics of that year. If I had to pick one, it would be the 3rd week.

As far as the 300+ bull goes, depends on how many PP’s you have.

I will add a caveat. Unless you have access to good private land, setting your sights on a 300+ bull is setting yourself up for disappointment.

14-Dec-17
I'd take any week you can. Lately I've preferred the last week.

15-Dec-17
So much depends on where you're hunting, too. Some places are good early, not so much later. And the other way around.

15-Dec-17
Therefore strive to make it two weeks. At that, one day in and one day out, now your down to 12 days. bad weather, illness, relocating to plan B, etc . less days hunting Location and time will up your number of encounters Increasing the opportunity of achieving your goal.

15-Dec-17
Huntcell gives sound wisdom. I have been successful on many trips where I traveled and have always wanted a minimum of ten actual hunting days. In three of four elk I ended killing on day 7, 8, and 17. On one of those hunts I could have killed on day 3 with a much lesser animal.

My time period has been to play it safe for latter for bugling but middle with less pressure. I had a very respectable outfitter tell me that he killed most big bulls early but he had been watching them for a while.

I went to Montana and they had a heatwave that really shutdown the first couple of weeks. Mule deer hunted in Wyoming and could have killed several thee first week or so and then they got pressured and became scarce.

15-Dec-17
The week with the best weather. ;-)

I've had to deal with snow quite a bit in late September and I don't much care for it but I would gamble on that last week rather than the first. Mid-September is a good compromise. Depending on where in Wyo you're hunting, the early deer rifle season may affect your decision.

15-Dec-17
I prefer the middle two weeks.

15-Dec-17
All good advice above but Hunt had it with the first post. I'll add that if you know what you're doing (i.e. you've killed a number of bulls) than the first week is probably the best time to kill a big one just before they herd up. If you are relatively new to elk hunting then it'd be better to have them bugling as much as possible = the last week. Good luck!

15-Dec-17
The whole season for best chance at 300"+. If asking this question, I can't imagine you aren't in the learning phase.

15-Dec-17
Unless you have significant experience I would lower your standards and increase the hunt to 2 weeks.

Which week(s) would also depend on which tag you have and for what unit and how much hunting pressure is expected.

15-Dec-17
Just follow Bowsite....when all the elk killers stop posting it means they're hunting. That's when you should be too! :)

15-Dec-17
" I'll add that if you know what you're doing (i.e. you've killed a number of bulls) than the first week is probably the best time to kill a big one just before they herd up."

Will, another reason I like to hunt later....I don't know what the hell I'm doing! ;-)

15-Dec-17
Without knowing the type area and ownership of where you will hunt, it's tough. My only experience in WY has been on private. Last fall with a cow tag, I had 25-40 yard op's on 4 bulls from about 310-50. Snuck up on all of them and never had a shot at a cow. The country is mostly open and I'm hunting canyons where I see the elk go in before I hunt them. Really enhances your senses and makes you move slower when you know there are animals near and likely bedded. I like the first half.

15-Dec-17
If it's only a week, I'd probably go the last.

15-Dec-17
Depends on how well you know the area you’ll be hunting.

15-Dec-17
If I had to choose one week it would be the 3rd week.

15-Dec-17

ElkNut1  's embedded Photo
ElkNut1  's embedded Photo
If hunting mostly open sage, juniper & pinyon country then Spot & Stalk or sitting water,trails then the 1st 10 days could be a great choice! If into calling & hunting dark timber with some open areas then the 10th to 17th hands down for me. These latter dates is when most of our elk hit the dirt!

This bull here was from this year in WY, my Sons bull, just over 345" -- He was taken Sept 11th or 12th, called to 20 yards.

ElkNut/Paul

15-Dec-17
WY sucks. I'd quit collecting points and look at a different state......

15-Dec-17
Thanks for all of the info! Many of you are correct, I know very little about elk hunting! I’ve been collecting points in CO and WY for awhile. We’re looking at a guided trip in Targhee National Forest. I wish I could go for two weeks, but my work schedule is already tight in the fall for one week. Thanks again!

15-Dec-17
X2 Les.......if it was me i would opt for the last 2 weeks

Not being able to call in bulls that are cowed up is a complete myth ;)

15-Dec-17
Any week in Wyoming is better than a week in Colorado. Boom! Lighten up Francis just kidding.... sorta.

15-Dec-17
Max points for Wyoming? I think I’m one behind...

16-Dec-17
If you are going guided I would ask the outfitter. That's what you are paying them for.

16-Dec-17
I like the Middle 2 weeks---------->

Plan on some weather and that heavy snow fo' sure

Ofcourse it can change with any other state bow elk hunt drawn....

Good luck, Robb

16-Dec-17
What is the best "week" to kill Bulls? It most definitely is without a doubt... 2 weeks. Do what you need to do to make it at least 10 days. To many variables from year to year to choose just one in my opinion. If you MUST I would choose the third week, or the last. Anytime I see guys put a "number" or "inch" value to quantitatively define their success or failure on a hunt, I have to wonder about their motives in life, and taking of life. Just my 2c.

16-Dec-17
Elkman are you saying you shoot the first legal bull you see? That you don’t hold out for a big one? That you don’t have a goal on your hunts? To question someone’s motive in life because he has a goal of 300”? Sometimes I question what’s wrong with you...

I would add that if you’re a new hunter going after your first bull which is what it sounds like for the OP I’d be surprised if you weren’t excited about a 200” bull if he comes in screaming his head off! Good luck and have a great time!

16-Dec-17
Yep, in Colorado I shoot the first legal raghorn I come across. I've got max points in Wyoming and can guarantee I'll be holding out for a better one.

16-Dec-17
Max points for Wyoming? I think I’m one behind...

Max points in 2018 for elk, deer, and antelope is 12 if you started out right when PPs got going in 2006 and bought one every year.

16-Dec-17
Yeah I've got max points for deer and moose too. I dropped out of the sheep debacle some years ago...my brother stayed in though.

16-Dec-17
Burned my antelope points 5 years ago and had a great hunt.

16-Dec-17
Later you wait the more calls they have heard. Go early. Late season also brings out everyone who hasn't filled their tag yet.

18-Dec-17
I'm going middle two this coming year.

• Sitka Gear