midwest 17-Dec-17
Ace of Spades 17-Dec-17
wkochevar 17-Dec-17
EIStone 17-Dec-17
HeadHunter® 18-Dec-17
Brotsky 18-Dec-17
Bowriter 18-Dec-17
16-Dec-17
Got an email from one of my landowners who is also a good friend. His father died suddenly, night before last. He asked me if I could possibly "fix one of those hindquarters, like I did for him, last Christmas?" He sent the email yesterday but I just opened it a few minutes ago. Now, the rush is on. Well of course I can, be more than glad to. Here is the problem. He is talking about a bone-in, complete quarter and I don't have one. That means, I hunt hard today and with my luck, I won't see a thing. If push comes to shove, I may break my own rules and take out one of my yard deer. I will have to do it with crossbow and just hope she doesn't run onto a neighbor's yard and die. It has to happen today, so I have a day to do the prep. and smoking and have it ready by tomorrow afternoon. Just opened the email a few minutes ago so have to hit the rainroom and get to the woods. Time for me to have a little good luck so, I am taking my 45-year old, custom made, Parker-Hale, .308. His dad was 93, had a good life, good Christian gentleman. His hobby was wood carving. I asked him if he would save me some cedar shaving to put in my cedar chest. He gave me about a bushel basket full. For the first time in many years, I "need" to kill a deer this morning. If I don't have one down by about 2 P.M. I'll hit the backyard.

16-Dec-17
Good luck!

16-Dec-17
Good luck.

16-Dec-17
A man has to do what a man has to do...................

If he was just really sick it would not justify the compromise, but with a death involved all debate on weapon of choice and yard deer status are cast aside in the spirit of doing the right thing for friends and meeting special requests. we'll give you a pass this time only and only for this cause John.

16-Dec-17
To Rage or not to a Rage is the question.....:) Good Luck John!

16-Dec-17
Oh, definitely Rage... ;-)

16-Dec-17
not sure where you live, but if its semi populated area you might want to consider calling your local Sheriff or highway patrol and ask for a call if they get any roadkills today. I know we are always looking for someone who want the meat. Good luck otherwise

16-Dec-17
Shoot one of the yard deer.

16-Dec-17
Good luck, that's quite the challenge!

16-Dec-17
Good luck

16-Dec-17
Good luck. Theres a guy on another forum I go to that hunts in an urban area. He has a large trash can and broom like the city street cleaners use and wears a work coat and orange vest when one gets off the property he puts on his get up and retrieves the deer putting it in the can and wheeling it out.

16-Dec-17

Bowriter's embedded Photo
Sometimes it works out. Not my greatest shot but at 160-yards, walking, I'll take it. On the smoke by daylight tomorrow. Now, don't have to shoot a yard deer.

16-Dec-17
Congrats, man!

16-Dec-17
Great job!

16-Dec-17
Decided, I am going to do a whole saddle instead of just one side. Glad I got the bigger smoker. Landowner is very busy between making arrangements, taking care of his mother and making room reservations for incoming family, so I am going to do the whole feed at his house. Going to be lots of cooking going on. Got the wife-woman boiling some big shrimp for a huge pot of shrimp/chicken gumbo and have another friend making lots of salad and cornbread. We will get handled and glad to do it. And oh man, I can smell the turnip greens with plenty of pork trimmings simmering downstairs, now. I got go get to skinning.

16-Dec-17
The single most accurate rifle that I ever owned was a Parker Hale 7mm magnum. Loaned it to a friend, who promptly lost the bolt.......they are a well made firearm.

16-Dec-17
Glad you were able to get the deer for your friends family. God is good.....

16-Dec-17
Good old fashioned potlatch...... good job !!!!

16-Dec-17
Medicineman- Bruce Hale custom made that rifle for me back in 1980-something. He made a .270 for my son at the same time. Never owned, seen or shot one more accurate.

16-Dec-17
Sweet and for a good cause. Thanks for stepping up. Paul

16-Dec-17
Congrats, gotta love it when a "Miss" ends up in a good kill.

16-Dec-17
Solid work. Nicley done!!

16-Dec-17
You did good John, now smoke it !

16-Dec-17
How on earth does one lose the bolt off a rifle, medicineman? I feel like that should be a good story.

16-Dec-17
Maybe the man upstairs gave you a helping hand for a good cause. Sorry to hear of a loss like this so near the holidays but my family knows about this 1st hand.. I'm sure your gift will be well appreciated. God bless you & yours & your friends family.

16-Dec-17
Sorry your friend passed. Very good of you to help with things.

17-Dec-17
Sorry to hear for your friend's loss. Congrats and Kudos to you on the harvest. I'm sure he'll appreciate it!

17-Dec-17

Started the smoke 30-minutes ago. Got the temp set at 200, got the saddle well-rubbed with High Mountain venison seasoning and rib rub, wrapped in bacon and larded with bacon pieces. Using a combination of hickory and apple chips and have about half a 55-gallon drum of potato salad in the fridge. Gumbo is steeping, (I field tested it last night. It is fit to eat.) So all systems are go. Funny thing-Have to do it all over next week for a free dinner we do at the Fellowship House, a half-way house for men with substance abuse problems. We will feed about 70, Christmas dinner, there. This is some of the crowd from last year. The dinners are open to anyone who needs a place to go. We get a lot of community support.

17-Dec-17
How long and to what internal temp due you smoke to? Do you keep it around 200 the entire time?

17-Dec-17
Very cool. Good work.

17-Dec-17
Sorry to hear about your friend , congrats on the deer and helping people out ! I am very interested in the saddle you are cooking on smoker, I just bought a gas smoker , can you show pictures of a saddle ? Not sure what a saddle is .

17-Dec-17
Saddle = Backstraps

“A man has to do what a man has to do................... If he was just really sick it would not justify the compromise...”

Dude... Seriously????

If you don’t see the No-Brainer in putting aside a personal preference so that you can do a service for a friend or neighbor....

I don’t care if it’s my first tag, my last tag, or all I get for the year; if if thought I COULD (legally) punch a tag to help a friend, then that’s just What You Do.

Bowriter - glad it came together for you. God Bless.

17-Dec-17
Bowriter--You are obviously a very caring and special person. I applaud you for your efforts. I think the Man upstairs pays extra attention when he answers prayers from folks like yourself. Best of luck.

17-Dec-17
I think maybe there was some sarcasm missed on Bou's comment....

17-Dec-17
Okay- Saddle does not equal backstrap. The saddle, my version, anyway, is both hidquarters joined and cut just n front of the hip bone. very little backstrap involved.

I smoked this one at 200-225 for six hours with three pans of chips. Internal temp is perfect at 150. Remove when internal hits that and wrap well in foil to preserve heat and juice. The time smoked depends on your smoker size and brand. This is a new one and I am still kinda learning as I go. It looks and smells perfect. Delivered about noon but did not stay to eat as we had a family dinner here.

17-Dec-17
BTW- I got 'Bous sarcasm immediately. His sense of humor is very close to mine. We are bad sick.

17-Dec-17
You're right - I missed the wink at the end. My bad.

Sorry, 'Bou!

Had I not missed it, I woulda got it right away!

17-Dec-17
That's pretty cool, John.

17-Dec-17
Good job, awesome that you were able to come though for them!

17-Dec-17
So no brine involved in the pre-smoke prep?? I have always wanted to smoke an intact hind quarter but figured a brining would be involved. Sorry for your loss but congrats on fulfilling the need! K

17-Dec-17
Parker-Hale,I thought I was the only one that has one of those, have never seen another other than the one I have. My parents bought it for me so I could start hunting when I was 16 yrs. old at J.C.Penney"s and I'll be 66 two days after Christmas.Best rifle I have ever owned.

18-Dec-17
John, sorry for the loss of your friend! God Bless His Soul! ...and God bless you for your caring and your hard efforts! .... Merry Christmas & Happy New Year to You & Yours John!

18-Dec-17
Well done John! The Lord provides!

18-Dec-17
I only brine fish and only saltwater fish at that or oily fish like striper. I am not a fan of brining any red meat. Report is, it all turned out great.

• Sitka Gear