elkstabber 03-Jan-18
spike buck 03-Jan-18
craig@work 03-Jan-18
craig@work 03-Jan-18
spike buck 03-Jan-18
Moons22 03-Jan-18
spike buck 03-Jan-18
30-Dec-17
I have a nearly endless supply of steer carcasses from a local farm. anyone use something like this to bait coyotes? just a thought I had....

30-Dec-17
Excellent bait but needs to be skinned first

30-Dec-17
Can you bait and hunt coyotes at night? Sounds like the makings of a fun time!!!!

30-Dec-17
why skinned? just curious....was thinking of cutting a few slices in it to make it more "accessible" but no way im skinning a steer just for bait.... and yes can hunt at night, essentially anytime....

30-Dec-17
Hide frozen is too tough for coyotes.make it a reliable food source they come more often and more of them

30-Dec-17
Any carcass is good bait for shooting over, but don't trap or snare too close or you'll be killing or letting loose a lot of birds. MT has 30 foot limit on how close you can be to any bait visible from the air.

30-Dec-17
Where are the carcasses coming from? Feedlot?

30-Dec-17
yes t-roy a feedlot. occasionally one dies in a barn also. these are anywhere from 500-1000lb animals.

30-Dec-17
In Ontario you cannot use a carcass of a domestic farm animal, especially one that died of unknown causes. Possibly could spread diseases they say. No back bone of a cow,, (mad cow disease). Its complicated. To put it out in the wild it has to be certified by a vet. ie meat processed at a butcher shop and stamped is good.

Road kill deer or moose or scraps of wild game is fine.

30-Dec-17
Try Coyotes, keep the circle of death happening.

30-Dec-17
Pat I thought maybe steercicles would be enticing and harder to carry away, hence my plan. I'm going to give it a try and will report back

30-Dec-17
In Alaska they let the trappers have the really bad road kills for bait. Friend got one and it froze on his trailer. In his driveway near the house. He took a chainsaw and cut it up.

Had to paint the front of the house. The spray stuck to the paint and permanently stained the white paint. Looked like the place had measles.

30-Dec-17
Dead chickens from chicken houses work very well. And they are easy to tote.

02-Jan-18
Check your game laws first. It is illegal in Virginia.

02-Jan-18
cats work well I heard. I can believe that I guess, because cats in our barn yard are always disappearing for some reason. Dang coyotes I think will eat about any kind of meat. Fawn population and turkey pullets have a rough time surviving also. .....

02-Jan-18
Elkstabber, if a hunter checked game laws of most states, they also would find out it's illegal to use whole carcasses of domesticated farm animals, as wolf or coyote bait.

03-Jan-18
I've read the hunting and trapping guidelines and nothing is listed. also searched MI.gov. If I'm missing something somewhere in the MI regs feel free to let me know but I've not come across anything that says it's illegal.

03-Jan-18
craig@work: Good. Just wanted to make sure that you had looked. Every state is different.

03-Jan-18
Its not listed in our hunting guidelines either. Rules here is under the Agriculture department. Some one hung piglets that died of natural causes, in trees. A week later he had someone knocking on his door and it wasn't the fish and game department. Got a very hefty fine.

03-Jan-18
spike buck-I'll check again....google search and mi.gov search isn't showing any flags now.....

Craig

03-Jan-18
A big thanks to those who brought up the legality of the issue. It is illegal to use deceased domestic stock for bait. I could not find any info on it so I called the dept of agriculture and they pointed me in the right direction. "All domestic stock that die must be buried, composted, or burned within 24 hours". So again, thanks for bringing it up as I don't need any misdemeanors on my record. Apparently wild game or road kill is fine, but not domestic animals.

Craig

03-Jan-18

spike buck's embedded Photo
spike buck's embedded Photo
After being in the hunting business for 44 years, I have learned, ( sometimes by doing it wrong ), how to do it the right way. Ask lots of questions even though I might get the answer I might not like!!

Meat scraps work great.

03-Jan-18
Is a dead coyote good coyote bait?

03-Jan-18
Put a wolf carcass out for bait and the only things that would eat it is the ravens. But lots of ravens attract wolves wondering what all the birds commotion is all about.

• Sitka Gear