JL 05-Jan-18
kota-man 05-Jan-18
Lee 05-Jan-18
APauls 05-Jan-18
Candor 05-Jan-18
lawdy 06-Jan-18
lawdy 06-Jan-18
30-Dec-17
Saw Pat wearing 1600 gram boots, looked like the Cabela's stand boot, rubber outsole?

Are these warmer than the 2000 gram Goretex boots?

I need some stiffness but mobility as well since I hang a stand most hunts. As I have aged, and with diabetes I am having a more difficult time keeping the extremities warm. What is the absolute warmest boot but still flexible and not too bulky for hanging stands?

Thanks.

30-Dec-17
I would suggest that you look at the boot covers, which will allow you to have the boot that works best for getting into the stand, and then the added insulation and warmth that you are looking for. I have heavy insulated Shnee Pacs and they are not great below 30, but I was out today with alpaca socks (my new thing) in my mickey mouse boots that I have had forever and was plenty warm. They cost about$70-80 I think and are military or surplus. However they are clumsy to say the least

30-Dec-17
Thanks. I have the boot covers. Very clumsy so I hate to use them.

30-Dec-17
Frank, just start taking blood thinners and your hands and feet won't get as cold. Of course the rest of you will freeze :-)

30-Dec-17
Military Bunny Boots with a toe warmer in each. Get them so u only need a medium sock.

30-Dec-17
Don, Thanks. I do a low dose aspirin a day and that is all they allow me to take and still give blood. Being O+ I get called frequently, LOL!

I did get a heavy fleece coat and pants for Christmas. My core stays comfortable, even down to zero. The coat comes with an attached hand muff, so I think I will be ok there. The feet last about 2 hours and I need a little longer.

30-Dec-17
li,ey the boot covers but a hassle to put in st the stand. Have been looking at steer mukluks, and after talking with a couple guys who wear them and the owner of the co who sells them I'm so.d. 250 bucks is worth it to me to have warm feet.ill be wearing them next season, if they work in Alaska temps they will work in Chicago temps.

30-Dec-17
I have Arctic Shield boot covers. I wear uninsulated boots, one hot hands toe warmer. Put them on after you get in your stand. No more dragging my bony old legs through the woods with heavy boots. Order a size bigger than you think you need. Usually $50 got them at basspro online for $30.

30-Dec-17

JL's Link
I have cold extremities too. I went to Baffin Control Max boots. Supposed to be good for -94 degrees. They make colder ones. I use these in the tree stand.

30-Dec-17
I was wearing my Woody Max muck boots on stand the last few days with temps around 3 degrees - toes HURT! Buddy picked me up a pair of army surplus Mickey Mouse boots a size too big and made it three hours without even a shiver. They weren't awkward to walk in like I thought they might be. Sat on the ground this eve with my daughter for the late winter doe hunts (muzzleloader). It was -7 wind chill. She had the Mickey Mouse boots and I had my muck boots. I didn't get cold at all. I think the metal of my Line Wolf is what is getting the muck boots so cold in stand. I'm going to try a towel between the stand and my boots and see if that is the issue. Lee

31-Dec-17
Pac boots are your best option for warmth....Cabelas sells 2 boots rated to -135....I have the "Predators" I think....they look more like a hunting boot. The other is the "Trans Alaskan" that`s more of a snowmobile mukluk looking boot. Those 2 have very thick soles along with the liners to prevent ground cold from transferring up. Both have the "toe warmer packet pocket" in the liner. My next choice would be the Lacrosse Ice Kings or the Baffins.

31-Dec-17
Can't speak from personal experience on this recommendation......and my feet always get cold but I was told to buy some mickey mouse boots from the Army Navy.

Borrowed a pair of Cabela's Alaskans this year and they were pretty darn good. Warmest I've worn anyways. Before that I was wearing 2,000 gram insulated Muck boots a size too big with heated insoles and feet still got cold! I second putting some carpet on the stand though! That makes a huge difference.

31-Dec-17
lacrosse ice kings are good for me and have had my pair for 23 years

only use for the coldest days in stand. not fun to hike in. get an extra pair of the boot liners so you always have a dry set.

31-Dec-17
I just wear tennis shoes like bowriter

31-Dec-17
Pat, pm sent please.

31-Dec-17
I wear my Kamik Ice fishing boots, when it's 20 or below... Never an issue. I see they make hunting boots now, and Bob's stores has them on sale for $42! Can't beat that , for that price give them a shot and would be great for any super-cold weather activity like ice fishing, snow-mobiling, etc..

31-Dec-17
Try this link:

http://www.bobstores.com/kamik-men’s-hunter-boots/26125700066.html?mrkgcl=809&mrkgadid=3172369785&rkg_id=h-cf055c3878b97bf47e1a8bc2842a2d30_t-1514731843&srcid=PPC%3ABingPLAs%3AProductType2BootsProductType3&creative=15974881252&device=c&matchtype=e

31-Dec-17
Thanks guys. Lots of great suggestions here. I appreciate it!

31-Dec-17
Amazon actually has a better deal:

https://www.amazon.com/Kamik-Hunter-Insulated-Winter-Black/dp/B00HT1TLCQ/ref=pd_sim_309_1?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B00HT1TLCQ&pd_rd_r=7Y585BP0HABV42CGCA73&pd_rd_w=MpDGX&pd_rd_wg=SdyZp&psc=1&refRID=7Y585BP0HABV42CGCA73

31-Dec-17
Micky Mouse military surplus, the best $25 I've ever spent. If it's really cold an Iwom or HBS will keep your body warm... which keeps your toes warm.

31-Dec-17
Frank, what ever boots your find I will add this. The cold steel or alum from the stand where you place your feet/boots, the cold will transfer in time, to the bottom of your boots and then to inside to your feet. No doubt better boots and socks will help. But I suggest that you place a carpet under your boots so that the cold will not transfer. I do this also when I am ice fishing and it really helps. my best, Paul

31-Dec-17
Thanks guys. I read all of this, and checked the boots out for temperature ratings.

I ordered the Baffins Apex Extremes, which based on many variables are rated as low as minus 148.

I have a lot of boots, 2000 grain packs, 7mm rubber, and several for early, mid, and early-late season. I thought I would go with the highest rating for the late season.

My core stays warm so I believe it really is more of foot/finger challenge. I have tried the carpet idea Paul, and it certainly is an improvement. But, I just like the sure footed grip I get from the rough XOP and LW stand platforms. The carpet caused me to move with caution as I thought it might be slippery.

I appreciate all of this, thanks. Season is winding down and we are due for extremely cold weather. I want to give it a go still.

Happy New Year to all of you! Be safe, stay warm, and thanks again.

31-Dec-17
You ordered a great boot, but the Sorels Intrepid Explorer XT boot is even better. I have the older version and they are hands down the warmest boot you can buy. I am ordering a new pair this week. $250 but worth every penny! Shawn

31-Dec-17
Shawn, I considered them. Rated to minus 100 and Sorel says they are best for heavy snow. I do not expect that. Glad you are happy with them and hope I will be just as happy. Thanks.

31-Dec-17
Boot minus xx ratings are meant for when you are dressed in a body heater suit at a dead run.

31-Dec-17
LKH, I agree, but one being 48% lower should still offer more protection, at least I think?

31-Dec-17

Scrappy's embedded Photo
Scrappy's embedded Photo
Frank i spent over 9 hours in the tree yesterday at around o degrees with a 10 to 12 mile wind. From about eight o'clock on I had around 40 deer from one hundred yards down to the base of my tree bedded and browsing around. Right before they got there I was feeling cold and my feet where starting to hurt so I took three adhesive body warmers out and placed two over my lower back and one over my heart. An hour later I was no longer cold at all. I to have a piece of carpet on my lone wolf as much for the noise as for the cold.

I know it has been discussed but your core really is the most important part to staying warm. I don't even wear insulated boots anymore. I use artic shields with a hand warmer thrown in each.

Oh ya I chickened out this morning cause it was to cold.

31-Dec-17
Scrappy, you are one tough dude. Honestly though, my core was warm. I actually had some sweat from hanging the stand. I had to keep my hat off for awhile. But, I have never used warmers. Maybe it is time to try something new?

31-Dec-17
I also vote for boot blankets/overboots. Also, my Heater Body Suit keeps everything warm, especially feet.

31-Dec-17
There have been a lot of good suggestions in this thread but they are all missing one thing.

I have found that the most important thing for me is to carry a fresh pair of socks in my pack and put them on before I climb into the tree. By removing my slightly sweaty/wet socks from the walk in and putting on fresh dry ones, my feet stay much, much warmer.

31-Dec-17
Baffin 60 below rated. Just got a pair. I had frostbite on me toes years ago so I need extra warm boots. These boots are extra warm and rubber so they don't leave any scent.

01-Jan-18
Mickey Mouse military boots with a hand warmer in each. Key is to put them on warm and your feet will stay warm.

01-Jan-18
I like the white mickey mouse boots, haven't had to put warmers in them.

01-Jan-18
Another vote for boot blankets. I need good ankle support which is something most rubber footwear does not provide. I can get away wearing my kenetreks with toe warmers then just slip on the boot blankets when I get set up. These are good to about -5 or so.

01-Jan-18
The issue with the Baffin boot is that it has a rubber foot not just the sole. The Sorel does not have the rubber foot so it does not hold the cold like rubber. Shawn

01-Jan-18
Are the white mickey mouse boots rated different than the black ones? I've had a pair of the black one's since the late 80's and love them but when we went to buy my boy a pair this winter they didn't have any black one's big enough for his Sasquatch feet... so he got a pair of white one's. Any difference besides color?

01-Jan-18
When it's really cold, take off your boots on stand as they are part of the problem if they have rubber which almost all do. Just wear a wool sock and simple wool slipper inside arctic shield booties. Add a large hand warmer (16 hr. or similar) outside the slipper or if very cold inside the slipper as well.

Your feet will be toasty warm. Boots are cold sinks and typically too binding for good circulation.

01-Jan-18
Micky Mouse boots (black) are rated to-20, Bunny Boots (white) are rated to -20 and below.

03-Jan-18
The plan is to go out Friday through Sunday. I will keep you posted.

I might take Bob's suggestion and take a double Mr. Buddy to one of my insulated blinds.

I had been building up Cabela's gift cards for some time. The Trans-Alaskan boots were $60 off, so I got a pair. The Baffins will not be here until next week. Just could not justify the Sitka gear you guys love. Had to spend one year old cards on something.

03-Jan-18
Bunny’s all the way. 2 pairs of socks, a snug boot sock with a oversized extra tall wool sock over that. Pull the outer sock over the top of the boot. Otherwise your socks will work down inside the boot.

03-Jan-18
With diabetes I would stay away from a laced boot.

03-Jan-18
Schnees, heavy pacs, without question.

I've sat in tree stands in below zero weather and in deep snow in minus 20 degree weather and my feet were always toasty warm.

03-Jan-18
When I was in Saskatchewan I bought some boots that were rate to -40 or whatever and my feet were still cold. I learned the solution I gave above from hunters with years of experience up there.

03-Jan-18
Drove down to Cabelas today to look at boots. Not used to city driving. Drove right through a red light after looking both ways. No street lights up here. Looked at Baffins, Sorels, cabelas, all too clunky for groundhunting. I will stick with my Beanies with boot blankets if I sit. I wear Muck Arctic Pros for snowshoeing while hare hunting, but I move a lot. Still considering Steger Camuks, but they are expensive.

04-Jan-18
How many times do I have to tell you guys there is no better stand boot than STEGAR MUKLUKS before you finally listen?!?!?! Not bunny boots, not fake Walmart moon boots, STEGAR MUKLUKS made in Ely Minnesota! If you won't take my word for it take that of Will Stegar, polar explorer, who put them to the ultimate test when all others failed. On top of keeping your feet warmer than any other footwear you will also appreciate the fact that they weigh about 1/10th. of all these other monster winter boot options guys suggest.

04-Jan-18
They look too stylish for me:)

04-Jan-18
Like the deer care..

04-Jan-18
No, but when I am long arming that deer with my feet out in front of me I don't want to read a thread about it here. Lol!

Honestly, thanks. If my feet get cold this weekend I will re-read this thread.

04-Jan-18
I haven’t been able to talk myself into buying a pair of Stegers..... what If someone saw me? I was down to ely last month, could have just as well been California

04-Jan-18
South Farm, how are Steger Camuks for walking or snowshoeing? Are they durable?

04-Jan-18
Finished a number of hunts the last few days with nothing above 8 degrees - can't believe how warm the Mickey Mouse boots have been. Cost me 70 bucks total. I'd left them in the truck for a few days and put them on Tuesday. A single pair of thin socks so I have plenty of dead air around the toes and my feet were warm before I'd finished dressing! I was toast on stand for 3 hours. Best money I've spent in awhile.

Lee

04-Jan-18
Well, the Baffins came early. I took free shipping in 6-10 days, they arrived in four!

I will try them both and let you know.

04-Jan-18
Tried on both the Cabela's Alaskans and Baffins. I think it will be easier to hang a stand with the Alaskans. The Baffins do seem much warmer.

05-Jan-18
Lawdy - I'll be completely honest with you...your calves/shins may hurt the first time you wear them, but after that your muscles adjust and you'll love them. Also, they suck in slush, no two ways about it. BUT, if you keep them dry they are warmer and lighter than any other winter footwear. Also, the "flexibility" factor couldn't be better if you wore just socks...and that (along with breath-ability) is what keeps your feet toasty warm. I wear them snowshoeing all the time; I have traditional bear paws and utilize Cabela's bindings (which I also love!) with no issues whatsoever. One other thing, all these heavy huge pack boots wear out in what, maybe 5-10 years? I'm on just my second pair of Mukluks since 1989. I paid $89 for my first pair, $119 for my second pair...works out to be $7.17/yr invested. Ain't a pak boot out there that can make that claim. One last thing, if you still hunt, you'll be able to feel a stick before you crack it, something else you can't do with heavy lug pak boots.

Guys that worry what they'll look like in them are simply insecure in the first place. Real men don't give a sh!t about fashion, but rather utility. Sale pitch over, check 'em out!

05-Jan-18
"I haven’t been able to talk myself into buying a pair of Stegers..... what If someone saw me? I was down to ely last month, could have just as well been California"

Now you know why I moved away! LOL! Just like the old Eagles song, call someplace paradise kiss it goodbye. Yep, Ely has become just another outdoors town invaded by wolf lovers and fern feelers. I don't go to Ely any more; I go THROUGH Ely;)

05-Jan-18
I picked up a pair of artic pros this year . I tried heavy socks and feet sweat bad and inside of boot hood wet . I then tried. Pair of 3 mm rubber socks and hit the jackpot . No more cold feet

05-Jan-18
South, If you have ever seen my face you would know I was kidding about looks. Lol!

05-Jan-18
Stegar Mukluks are made in the south lands. Baffins are made where it gets cold. :-)

05-Jan-18
At home when it gets cold, I usually wear Bunny Boots. On my PB hunt last year I wore a pair of the Baffin Impacts the first few days. My feet were like frozen blocks of ice when the rubber froze. I ended up wearing some of the homemade mukluks provided by the natives. They were a leather bootie, a wool bootie and the outside soft leather boots. While my feet still got cold, they were a 1000 times better than the Baffins. I agree with the statement above that the all rubber sole on the Baffin is not a good deal. Bunny boots are the same deal though...I've tried a ton of options, and while nothing is perfect, the bunny boot does a good job for me, especially if I put fresh socks on when I get to the stand.

05-Jan-18
What brand are these 3 mm rubber socks? Curious about them - the feet are definitely my weak link and not much I won't try!

05-Jan-18
Cabelas Saskatchewan PAC boot.

05-Jan-18
APauls,

Looked at it instead of the Alaskan. They could not explain the difference. Was bulkier and thought hanging a stand with it would be tough. Thanks.

05-Jan-18
One of the guys I hunt with (from the south and whose feet always used to get cold) started using the gerbing electric foot heaters. He uses them successfully down into the low negatives for all day sits.

I have bought some of the arctic boot shields and hate their bulk and carrying them to a stand. I feel like I need to bring a deer cart to carry all this cold weather gear. But they do work.

Big thing is make sure boots are a bit bigger than you need. You do not want a ton of air space - as you do not want air circulation, but you want at least a little air space around your toes.

05-Jan-18
Bought both pairs one size bigger. With liners under thick wool socks they feel perfect. Thanks.

06-Jan-18
Thanks South Farm, I will be ordering a pair. I don't care what they look like and neither do the hounds, as long as they are warm. The Steger Camluks actually look like hunting boots with the camo.

06-Jan-18
One of the reasons I am interested in mukluks is that they have no heel. I wear barefoot shoes because with a heel, I get brutal plantar fashitis. Bean boots are the only boots that are totally painless. I am wearing Muck arctic pros right now but take them off just as soon as I get inside.

• Sitka Gear