sticksender 08-Jan-18
Paul@thefort 08-Jan-18
Stekewood 08-Jan-18
expeditiontraders 08-Jan-18
Paul@thefort 08-Jan-18
31-Dec-17
Flying out of Denver this morning. Meeting Steven Ward in Hermosillo. I'll be hunting with Eric "Expedition Hunter".

31-Dec-17
Good luck - you are hereby required to post a lot of pictures, including all meals and drinks..

31-Dec-17
Expedition traders*

31-Dec-17
I'll post every time I have service

31-Dec-17
Good luck Forest! I'll be looking forward to updates while I'm in my blind in negative temps over the next few days!

31-Dec-17
Highs in the low 80s lows around 50!!

31-Dec-17
Good luck. We will be arriving next weekend. Save us a couple??

31-Dec-17
Good luck!

31-Dec-17
Good luck Forest...Keep us updated...

31-Dec-17
I am on my way. In Atlanta, boarded for Monterrey and then Hermosillo.

Life is good.

31-Dec-17
Just got the notice from the Delta app that my two bags are loaded in the plane to Monterrey. That is always a good feeling.

We are also hunting with a buddy of mine from South Africa. He is a real photo bug so we should have plenty of photos.

31-Dec-17
Good luck everyone, I'm headed there to hunt with Wards's Outfitters on the 14th, my clothes have been packed for a week and a half. Shooting my bow in 15 degree weather, it won't know how to act if the weather is above freezing in Mexico. gottoohunt

31-Dec-17
About to take off from Phoenix. David don't bring to many clothes you won't need them. Practice shooting sitting down.

31-Dec-17

Paul@thefort's embedded Photo
To wet your appetite, here are a few Mexico Coues deer.

31-Dec-17

Forest bows's embedded Photo
Deer I shot last year with Steven.

31-Dec-17

31-Dec-17
a dandy

31-Dec-17
Delayed two hours in Monterrey...

31-Dec-17
Ain’t no future in the past! Aim hard!! Good luck!

02-Jan-18
I only like the sound of crickets on warm summer nights:)

02-Jan-18
Weather forecast, 10 days, for Hermocello and area, is daily, 80 degrees, lows in the 50s. no rain. Perfect for water hole hunting.

02-Jan-18
He's having a good time and probably already shot one.

02-Jan-18
I hunted Coues with Steven last August/September and really wanted to join him in Mexico this year but just couldn't make it happen. Will be looking forward to all your updates. Best of Luck! Jeff

02-Jan-18
For those that have done it... Are there any issues getting archery equipment into and out of Mexico?

02-Jan-18
No issues at all that I experienced while driving in and out. Went very smoothly Now, with a gun, that is another issue. Paul

06-Jan-18

expeditiontraders's embedded Photo
Highlight of the trip was hunting with Forest and Tripper.
Highlight of the trip was hunting with Forest and Tripper.
No issues getting vows and arrows in and out.

We just finished up. I will leave it to Forest to tell his story.

We had a fourth Hunter in camp, Tripper from KC. Great guy. He was still hunting when I left.

The hunt itself was very good overall. We ran out of water and had some toilet issues but Dave, the guide, did his best to overcome the obstacles that he faced. The blind I was in was very difficult for a tall guy. I am 6’2” with arms like an orangutan. The window was to tall and the ceiling was too short. It was hard to get a shot off without the top cam hitting the top of the blind.

Ok, enough bitching, adapt, improvise, and overcome.

06-Jan-18

I didn’t really know what to expect. I have never hunted coues before. They are very similar to an impala at a water hole, wired.

06-Jan-18

I got an opportunity at a very nice buck on day two but it was not to be. He watered about 45 yards away but I did not have a shot opportunity where he came in.

06-Jan-18
Thanks for posting. My wife and I fly out in the morning to hunt next week with Steven. I have been waiting for this update!

06-Jan-18

Notice the Mike's Outfitting shirt from Alberta. A black t-shirt is perfect blind camo.
Notice the Mike's Outfitting shirt from Alberta. A black t-shirt is perfect blind camo.
Day 3— the morning started off about 9:30 with a group of javelina. There were about 15 of them in all. They watered somewhere between 16 and. 25 yards. Effectively, they were too close for the blind I was in. I could not get the arrow out of the window without my top cam hitting the top of the blind. I drew back 3 times and let down trying to find an opportunity.

Luckily, they stayed around for several minutes and made a lot of noise. I was able to crawl to the front of the blind and shoot out of a different window. It was still a tight fit and I hit the first one in the spine.

I tried to film it with my Tactacam but I only got video of the blind.

I got out of the blind to put another arrow into the pig and ran into another one coming in. I shot him at about 20 yards, the shot was true and he simply laid down and expired. He never took a step.

So, I had two pigs to start the morning this was the beginning of a great day.

06-Jan-18
That’s the way to cure the winter blues. Take sun screen. On my sheep hunt a month ago in the desert my face got fried as well as my ears. Fortunately I had a full beard to protect some of my face. Enjoy yourselves in the sun.

06-Jan-18

The afternoon was looking good. Th big in I saw on trail cam photos came in to 36 yards. Again, the blind was my nemesis. There was no way to get a shot at the water without my arrow hitting the window or my cam hitting the top of the blind. I drew back and let down 4 times. Frustrating. I decided to wait until he moved up the hill. He did. He moved up the hill a few steps and I held my 40 yard pin a little low. I let the shot go and thought I hit him a little low. I would have bet a lot of money on it. It was some sort of an optical illusion or maybe wishful thinking but it was a clean miss.

Forest, Tripper, and Phillip came to help me track. We found the arrow and there was not a drop of blood or hair on it anywhere.

I went back to the blind and ranged the shot. It was 47 yards. He angled away more than I thought and I missed low. As Charlie Brown says, argh!!!!

I believe the deer would have scored or 100 inches.

06-Jan-18

Day 4– time to get serious. This is only a 5 day hunt.

I saw a nice buck and a spike trailing a hot doe. I was going to shoot if he gave me the chance. The doe and the spike came to the water at 26 yards. It would be perfect if the buck watered in the same spot. Unfortunately, he did not. He was behind a bush at 30 yards. He finally cleared the bush and I was able to make a nice shot. He ran about 75 yards and went down hard. The 2” Killzone put a huge hole in him and I had my first coues.

06-Jan-18

A very happy South African, Philipp.
A very happy South African, Philipp.
Day 5– my buddy from South Africa had yet to tag out. I was pulling hard for him. He made a very good shot at 26 yards and was able to take this one in the last hour of the last day.

Philipp also gets all of the credit for the photos. He is a little bit of a bird nut and loves to take pictures and video. He got the shot on video and it came out great.

Life is and was good.

I will let Forest and Tripper fill in the details of their hunt and corect any errors I may have made.

I believe I saw 9 different bucks over the course of the trip. I saw one branch antlered buck twice and the spikes several times. The others were once and gone. I would not hold out if you see one you like.

Again, the highlight was hunting with more Bowsiter's . I am grateful to Pat and this site for bringing folks together. I have had the privilege with hunting with several of the regulars here and hope to meet many more.

God bless.

06-Jan-18
I believe the other guys are all on planes as I am. Travel sucks!

Broken toilet on plane, delayed for 3 and 1/2 hours. I missed the last two flights out to Hartford tonight and will be spending the night in Atlanta.

07-Jan-18
My capes were just confiscated in Atlanta for not having a Vetinary permit that shows they have been treated and the chemical they were treated with. I would suggest checking with US Fish and Wildlife. I know Steven encourages you to take them with you. I am being told the only way they can come in raw is if you use a customs agent and they are then shipped to an approved taxidermist.

You might want to check it out.

07-Jan-18
My capes were just confiscated in Atlanta for not having a Vetinary permit that shows they have been treated and the chemical they were treated with. I would suggest checking with US Fish and Wildlife. I know Steven encourages you to take them with you. I am being told the only way they can come in raw is if you use a customs agent and they are then shipped to an approved taxidermist.

You might want to check it out.

07-Jan-18
Exciting for sure. Nice story. Congrats. Paul

07-Jan-18
Congrats on a great adventure. Nice buck!

07-Jan-18

I saw a bunch of deer but never got a shot opportunity on the size of bucks I was looking for. Had a great time with Eric Tripper and Phillip. laughed alot ate good and enjoyed the week.

07-Jan-18
Eric, did fish and game keep your capes or did you make it home with them?

07-Jan-18
Just heard from Tripper. He got a nice buck around same size as the other 2

08-Jan-18
Fish and game kept my capes and will be disposing of them.

08-Jan-18
Congrats on your success Eric. Did you notice much rut activity?

Terrible news about the capes. Can you post any more details that may help the upcoming hunters? We've been told by Steven that the only concern with bringing capes back is to be sure there are no ticks on them. I wonder what has changed?

08-Jan-18
Eric, is that US Fish and Game at the air port that kept your cape?? When we drove in and out of Mexico a few years ago, and brought out our capes and skulls (no hair or meat on) across the border and were check by the US Fish and Game, they passed ok without any issues. We had followed the procedure of hard freezing the capes for 24 hours prior and, (no other treatments) and then they checked for any pests on the capes and found none.

Maybe they have changed the procedure and maybe coming through an air port makes a difference.

08-Jan-18
Thanks for the detailed and honest report!

08-Jan-18
I only saw one doe being chased. She was being chased by a spike and the one I shot. I think it is just heating up.

I had the frozen certificate. US Fish and Wildlife at the Atlanta airport pulled up a website and showed it to me that said, deer coming from Mexico require a Vetinary certificate that states the hide had been treated with a chemical, the date, and the name of the chemical.

That being said, I had an African import business for several years dealing with animal products, hence the name Expedition Traders. It is very likely there is another web site showing something different. The government changes the rules often and it is difficult to keep up on all of the changes. Often times, it comes down to the luck of the draw with who inspects you.

In any event, they were not trying to be difficult. They were trying to do their job. I could have sent them to a customs broker and then to a license taxidermist to be treated and kept them. I do not think they would have been any good after that. They were already warm from all of the flight delays.

08-Jan-18
Details that may help...

1. Practice shooting a lot from your knees, sitting, and from odd angles. 2. It is hot. 3. I would take some candy or snacks. 4. Get more soda and beer than you think you need on the way in. Town is a long way away. 5. Take a satellite phone. Reception is very difficult and spotty. I did and used it daily. 6. A blow up pillow would be nice. 7. Sleeping bag and towel. 8. Flip flops and shorts for around the house. 9. I hunted in shorts. 10. Black t-shirt for the blind 11. Bird book on Sonora birds. 13. Soft sided cooler to bring home capes in, if you are doing so. 14. Large cutting expandable broadheads, they are not that big. I used Killzone 2” c.o.c. 15. Shoot the first one you are happy with. I only saw the same mature buck twice. Every other one was a one time sighting. Don’t wait for him to return.

I hope that helps.

08-Jan-18

Eric, when I hunted in Mexico it was very late January and into Feb, 4 years ago, and the bucks were just rutting and following some. And even then did not see many bucks with dark/black tarsal glands.

08-Jan-18
Very nice photo

• Sitka Gear