Moultrie Mobile
winter deer hunting whats best am -pm ??
Whitetail Deer
Contributors to this thread:
kingtrout 04-Jan-18
Brotsky 04-Jan-18
Bowriter 04-Jan-18
Zbone 04-Jan-18
steve 04-Jan-18
steve 04-Jan-18
Ollie 04-Jan-18
LKH 04-Jan-18
t-roy 04-Jan-18
JL 04-Jan-18
Muskrat 05-Jan-18
Bowriter 05-Jan-18
XMan 05-Jan-18
Bowriter 06-Jan-18
t-roy 06-Jan-18
04-Jan-18
whats better for winter deer hunting am-pm !

04-Jan-18
Unquestionably PM.

04-Jan-18
Pm

04-Jan-18
After 63-years of deer hunting, I have found the best time to hunt them is when they move. Could be pm if you hunt in agricultural country. Could be am if you are hunting timber. Could be anytime. Here for the last two days, they have been moving between 3-4 PM.

04-Jan-18
PM for sure...

04-Jan-18
pm have 16 cameras out when its real cold almost no movement am

04-Jan-18
pm have 16 cameras out when its real cold almost no movement am

04-Jan-18
Probably pm as they travel to their feeding area. Big problem is that late season deer often bed right next to their food source and it makes sneaking into a stand (unless you have been sitting all day) difficult at best.

04-Jan-18
Because of the open country near my home I get to watch deer (whitetails) all day if I take the time. Even though it's been cold, some of the deer have been up and feeding very early. 10 am now and nothing is up.

Some of the deer will be up almost all day, but pm is best if the wind isn't bad.

04-Jan-18
PM.

04-Jan-18
Depends on where you're at and how cold is "cold"? Our (MI) late bow season is the best time to be in the woods. Very few hunters, snow everywhere and deer moving all day. The deer around here have been beat to death during the November gun season on public land...way, way too many hunters at once. In December when things calm down and most of the hunters leave, the deer go to the winter routine. They will sleep in and start moving around a couple hours after daylight. They will move through out the day feeding. When the sun drops and the temps fall back down to the teens, they hole up. The best time to go out will be after a good snow storm and the wind dies down.

05-Jan-18
Kept 6 cameras running for three months, November thru January a couple of years ago, and kept track of all of the sightings. This is in North Florida, 50 miles West of Tallahassee. Cameras were set up at food plots, some out in the open and some very isolated. Deer sightings were: 67 from 7 to 9:30 am, 29 from 10 am to 3 pm, and 131 from 3:30 to dark. A sighting may have been one or more deer, and of course there were plenty of sightings at night. So there were twice as many sightings in the evening than in the morning, and half as many mid-day as in the morning. Sighting times did not seem to change much with 'solunar activity periods', or with phases of the moon. Mature bucks showed up more often during the rut of course.

05-Jan-18
Two hours ago-7:43 AM, CST on Jan. 5, 2018 counted nine between my house and town, two-miles. All feeding in edge of woods. Probably twice that many I didn't see.

05-Jan-18
PM anywhere in the midwest near ag and foodplots. I have 18 cameras going right now on four farms.

06-Jan-18
Exactly 9:57- AM this morning 1-6-18. 11 deer in the yard, all does and fawns, feeding on honeysuckle on the creek bank.

06-Jan-18
Night time according to my cameras;)

06-Jan-18
I wish I would have known that a few nights ago, Frank! With a full moon, no clouds and snow on the ground, I’m certain that I would have had enough light to be able shoot most of the night.

• Sitka Gear