1boonr 07-Jan-18
Thornton 07-Jan-18
APauls 07-Jan-18
Bou'bound 07-Jan-18
Missouribreaks 07-Jan-18
Big-Otis-Jeff 08-Jan-18
Bonafide 08-Jan-18
04-Jan-18
I was driving around in a very rural area this evening at sunset after quail hunting with my dogs. We drove by a beanfield and I noticed a huge, longhaired shepherd dog standing in the field watching 38 deer, a racoon, and an armadillo that really weren't over 250 yds away. They all seemed very relaxed and it was the dog that ran off when he spotted me.

04-Jan-18
Did you get any quail?

04-Jan-18
A deer knows when a dog is a predator. My dog and two does are playmates.

04-Jan-18
I shot two

04-Jan-18

spike buck's embedded Photo
spike buck's embedded Photo
The dog was waiting for the perfect opportunity!!! Dogs and deer do not mix.

04-Jan-18
those are huge dogs

05-Jan-18
That one has a collar on....and those are 2 healthy matched breed dogs. They belong to someone.

05-Jan-18
this won't take long......................

05-Jan-18
An airdale up here dumped by a summer resident killed a couple deer in a winter yard. He was impossible to catch until I found his den under the porch of a unoccupied camp. I trapped him and he was adopted. His former owner was charged. The dog was merely trying to survive. When I released him and put him in my truck he almost licked me to death.

05-Jan-18
I have a 4 acre soybean field that was once filled with deer. Then the dogs moved in Dec 8th on the property and its gone to zero. I have 75 plus pics of dogs running that field every day. Dogs and deer don't mix.

05-Jan-18
Thornton, that shepard was thinking of doing something he had been disciplined for during in his past. Or, he wouldn't have been scared when you saw him looking at the deer. Good for him that he was just watching this time. Looks like the discipline worked.

06-Jan-18
I doubt that. Pretty sure he was just scared of the truck. I had some family that had the same kind of dog and he was scared of everything and nobody was ever mean to him.

06-Jan-18
Came down the drive awhile back and one of our dogs was laying in the field close to the road. There were 3 deer between him and the house. He was completely ignoring them until he saw me. He got up then and "chased" them off until they were in the woods. He came back to the house proud of himself for protecting us. ;) Not the first time I've seen him do that.

06-Jan-18
It is illegal for domesticated dogs to take a deer, especially without a license. Kill them!

07-Jan-18
In Illinois killing a pet dog is called felony animal cruelty and results in being a convicted felon. I don’t like dogs messing up my hunt but there is always a better solution. I would never kill a pet dog and would never let somebody hunt on my land that would or had done it in the past. Talking about doing it on an open forum is also not a good idea. If you feel you must keep it to yourself, as you do not impress anyone with your stories of how tough you are that you can kill somebody’s beloved pet. What a bunch of jackwagons

07-Jan-18
lot of laws in illinois that are dumb.

07-Jan-18
Dogs harassing wildlife I'm sure is against Illinois Law! As a land owner we have taken care of problems if needed. Also it is against Illinois Law to let 'pets' run on to Private Property! The 'pet owner' can ..... and should be held responsible! It's not the pets fault, it is more a Poor Owner that is at fault. Some pet owners just think 'they have a right' to let their animals 'run'!

07-Jan-18
It also illegal for an owner to allow their dogs to harass wildlife but that is not a felony. Shoot all you want but be prepared for the consequences if caught. I would say your probably done hunting the property unless you own it then if convicted your done gun hunting and you can’t vote. If that is worth the risk good luck

07-Jan-18
The point of this thread was to point out the very wild deer mentioned above didn't care about the giant dog. That being said, if anybody shot my dog because he was chasing a deer would be beaten to the point they wouldn't remember shooting the dog.

07-Jan-18
I don’t live dogs but I know people that do and I’m betting everyone does. It would take a whole lot if I don’t know what for me to shoot someone’s pet. I can’t imagine breaking someone’s heart like that because their dog was chasing a deer.

Remember there are people out there that love pets almost like children. If someone loved a dog only 1/10 as much as I love my daughter that amount of heart-wrench simply isn’t worth it. Because it was chasing deer? C’mon. Seriously.

07-Jan-18
And we’re off..............

Just like the dog shooting thread a couple months ago

07-Jan-18
Best to follow the laws.

In many states, intentionally killing or maiming a domestic companion animal, dog or cat, is a felony. Don't do it, call the proper law enforcement agency in your area. With modern forensics it is not difficult to locate and punish for crimes against domestic animals.

Non hunting voters do not understand hunters killing dogs and cats. What happens in the woods should stay in the woods, not be posted on public forums where investigators and non hunters lurk. Be intelligent about what you publically post.

08-Jan-18
Bou' bound for the win...

08-Jan-18
Not this goddam topic again, please Mods lock or delete it already! This does nothing but piss people off!

• Sitka Gear