StickFlicker 31-Jan-22
Al Dente Laptop 31-Jan-22
LBshooter 31-Jan-22
Al Dente Laptop 31-Jan-22
SBH 31-Jan-22
BOWUNTR 31-Jan-22
Scar Finga 03-Feb-22
20-Mar-18
Please help us stop the airbow and similar type weapons in the archery season. This proposed measure, is for disabled persons for now, but it is opening a door that we don't want open. Disabled persons can already use a crossbow during archery season.

Please contact the AZGFD at:

Jay Cook, Regional Supervisor FOR6

Address: Arizona Game and Fish Department 7200 E. University Dr. Mesa, Arizona 85207

Telephone: (480) 324-3540 Fax: (480) 324-3596

E-mail: [email protected]

Thank you for your assistance!

Scar.

20-Mar-18
Bump to the top

20-Mar-18
Stop the no bowhunting within a 1/4 mile from a residence rule.

20-Mar-18
That as well for sure! they keep taking an inch, and we lose a mile! Send it too the same guy!!!! I will do mine tomorrow, we need to unite on all fronts, we don't have to like each other, but we need to get along and fight! (bowbender, this was not directed at you or anybody else, just a general statement!)

20-Mar-18
Done...The residence rule, not so much!

21-Mar-18
Thanks Ike!

22-Mar-18

Arizonabowhunter's Link
The attached link discusses the rulemaking process. The final decision will be made on May 4th, 2018. We have ample time and opportunity to put a stop to this.

Here is an excerpt from the link:

Comment periods: The public has three opportunities in which to submit comments to the Commission: 1). Any time. Comments received by the Department are placed in the rule record and will be considered by the next review or Rulemaking team. 2). During the thirty (30) day public comment period immediately following the publication of the proposed rules in the AAR. Once a proposed rule is published, the public has at least thirty (30) days to submit comments to the Department concerning the rule. 3). At a Commission Meeting. A blue ‘speaker slip’ is required and are available to the public at each Commission Meeting.

Here's how YOU can help make a difference:

1 Write a letter. Send it to [email protected]

2 Tell your friends. If they agree, have them write a letter as well.

3 If you are part of any hunting organization in Arizona, mention the issue to them. Find out where they stand, and if or how they can help. We need as much support, unity, and backing as possible.

4 Attend the next commissioners meeting, april 6 & 7th. The more support we can show the better chances we will have.

Thus far some other groups are getting involved as well. The Pope & Young Club has already taken action and is backing some local groups such as the Arizona Bowhunter's Association.

22-Mar-18

Arizonabowhunter's embedded Photo
Arizonabowhunter's embedded Photo
Here is the official position statement from the Arizona Bowhunter's Association.

Arizona Bowhunter’s Association

Position statement regarding pre-charged pneumatic weapons:

The Arizona Bowhunters Association was founded for the purpose of representing the growing number of bow hunters during the mid-nineteen seventies. Archers and hunters across the world have become immensely passionate about the challenge and reward associated with bowhunting. The time and dedication spent practicing, hours and days in the field studying the quarry, and countless failures involved trying to get into close-quarters with our bows. Archery and bowhunting require dedication, discipline, patience and skill which makes the reward even greater in the end.

Today the Arizona Game and Fish Department has passed an amendment to the crossbow permit which allows for a gun to be used in an archery season.

R12-4-216 Crossbow Permit "The Commission proposes to amend the rule to allow a Crossbow Permit holder to use a pre-charged pneumatic weapon, as defined under R12-4-301, using bolts or arrows for the take of wildlife. This change is proposed as a result of customer comments received by the Department."

A “pre-charged pneumatic weapon” is not a piece of archery equipment, even if it discharges a bolt or arrow. If we define some of these important terms, it will create positive insights into what this regulation actually entails.

Per Merriam-Webster dictionary,

A FIREARM is defined as: a weapon from which a shot is discharged by gunpowder —usually used of small arms

ARCHERY is defined as: 1: the art, practice, or skill of shooting with bow and arrow

2: an archer's weapons

3: a body of archers

A BOW is defined as: a weapon that is used to propel an arrow and that is made of a strip of flexible material (such as wood) with a cord connecting the two ends and holding the strip bent

BOWHUNTING is defined as: hunting especially of large game animals (such as deer) done with bow and arrow

An AIR RIFLE is defined as: a rifle whose projectile (such as a BB or pellet) is propelled by compressed air or carbon dioxide

As we put the pieces together, it is easy to conclude that a “pre-charged pneumatic weapon” is not a firearm because it does not use gunpowder. Archery is the art, practice, and skill of shooting a bow and arrow. We can also conclude that a “pre-charged pneumatic weapon” is not a bow because it does not have an flexible material which places tension on a string. Since a “pre-charged pneumatic weapon” is not a bow, it should not be allowed for use in bowhunting. However, we can conclude that a “pre-charged pneumatic weapon” is an Air Rifle, because it propels a projectile via compressed air.

The Pope & Young Club has very clear, specific definitions for hunting bows and hunting equipment which exclude an “Airbow” from being acceptable for hunting. https://pope-young.org/bowhunting/equipment.asp

The Arizona Bowhunter’s Association and bowhunters in Arizona are passionate about bowhunting because of the challenge involved. If this amendment passes, it will provide a tremendous advantage over not only traditional recurve & compound archers, but crossbow hunters as well. Bringing an air rifle into an archery hunt not only goes against the concept of an archery season/hunt but disrespects the animal’s right to fair chase in that season.

FAIR CHASE, as defined by Pope & Young Club and the Boone and Crockett Club, is the ethical, sportsmanlike, and lawful pursuit and taking of any free-ranging wild, native North American big game animal in a manner that does not give the hunter an improper advantage over such animals. The Arizona Bowhunter’s Association’s Mission Statement for many years has been, “To foster, perpetuate, and expand bowhunting and bowhunting ethics in Arizona.”

Today we stand united as the voice of over 50,000 concerned bowhunters across Arizona who want to protect bowhunting ethics and preserve fair chase by preventing the use of a high-powered air gun during an archery hunt which would surely give a hunter an improper advantage over such animals during an archery season

22-Mar-18

Arizonabowhunter's Link
The attached link contains all of the current commissioners. Please send your letters to all of them.

22-Mar-18
After speaking to Mr. Cook at AZGFD it seems there is not currently much resistance to this. The initial vote by the 5 commissioners was 5-0.

Better get things in motion quickly. At this point it will be approved for disabled hunters. It is important to note that there is already and approved weapon for disabled hunters in Arizona. The Crossbow

As mentioned on another thread using the word Air-“bow” as a description of this product is nothing more than a marketing word from the creators. There is no BOW in any part of this product.

22-Mar-18
Charlie: Stay positive my friend! Things are just getting under way. I have faith we can get some big organizations to support us and make some serious headway.

22-Mar-18
Perhaps "Air-O-Gun" would be the better name. But an arrow GUN it is, without a doubt.

22-Mar-18
What is the counter argument? Who was pushing this and why? Is there a certain type of handicap that prevents certain disabilities from even using a crossbow? Just trying to see all perspectives.....

22-Mar-18
My guess is that its being pushed by the manufacturer and not by a person or people that need to use one.

22-Mar-18
As stated in the NPRM, "This change is proposed as a result of customer comments received by the Department"

I would argue that a CHAMP hunter would have difficulty using a crossbow. Therefore the air gun would be an alternative. However, disabled hunters who meet CHAMP criteria are provided their own (CHAMP) hunting seasons where they can use any firearm/crossbow/air gun of their choosing.

22-Mar-18

Scar Finga's Link
Here is a link to contact all the Commissioners fro AZFG! Drive them nuts with emails!

I do want to add that these gentlemen are volunteers, so please only address the issue and be kind with your words. Please don't call it a bow... call it an air rifle, that's what it is.

Thank You!

22-Mar-18
The below is on AFGD Form 2739A, Rev 1/15. I'm not familiar with the AZ CHAMP hunting seasons. Do any, most or all of them occur when it is likely to be cold or snow on the ground hampering the mobility of the disabled person? I'm wondering if those CHAMP hunters pushing for this are affected by inclement/cold weather and need the good weather an early Archery season provides?? I suspect if that is indeed the case, they might very well be successful. Rightly or wrongly, I would think disabled/handicapped folks tend to get favorable considerations on the eyes of the govt.

""APPLICATION FOR CHAMP PERMIT FEE: NONE The Arizona Game and Fish Department may issue a CHAMP Permit to those who have a severe permanent disability or mental disabilities resulting from amputation, arthritis, autism, blindness, burn injury, cancer, cerebral palsy, cystic fibrosis, intellectual disability, muscular dystrophy, musculoskeletal disorders, neurological disorders, paraplegia, pulmonary disorders, quadriplegia and other spinal cord conditions, sickle cell anemia, and end stage renal disease or a combination of permanent disabilities resulting in comparable substantial functional limitations.""

22-Mar-18

Scar Finga's Link
Gentlemen,

The Fish and Game ultimately reports to the Governor of AZ I have attached a link to email the Governor with your concerns. Stop the pneumatic weapons in AZ archery seasons! Your help is greatly appreciated and it only takes a few minutes!

Please help us!

22-Mar-18
I e-mailed them all. Hoping for the best...

22-Mar-18
Here's what I sent them...

Mr. Ammons,

Please reconsider the current Arizona initiative to include the airbow as an archery weapon. It is an air rifle in every sense. Just because it throws a bolt instead of a bullet doesn't make it a bow. Archers are proud of the difficulty and practice required to shoot archery equipment well. Probably the most challenging aspect is having to draw your bow (make a large motion) immediately before you shoot. This greatly increases your chances of detection by game. Then you must hold the bow under weight until you release the string. The airbow does not require any of these challenges. It might bring a few more people into the sport, but at the cost of what makes archery hunting unique.

Your neighbor, Jason

23-Mar-18
nmwapiti,

Thank you for your post and actions to stop this.

Have a blessed day!

23-Mar-18
Scar,

So this is interesting. I just got a phone call from a Jay Cook who works for commissioner Ammons. He said he was getting a lot of concern about the airbow and would like to talk if I had a few minutes. I told him sure. He said the only proposal they're considering right now is to allow the airbow for handicapped folks during the archery season and allow it during the any weapon hunts. He said it was NOT being considered as archery equipment. They saw it as very comparable to a crossbow and would have similar restrictions. I told him I didn't have any issues with handicapped folks using one and thanked him for contacting me, especially since I wasn't even a resident. That's a quick summary. Was probably a 5 minute phone call. Jason

23-Mar-18
NMWAPITI,

Sending a PM now sir. Friday 5:30PM

23-Mar-18
NMWAPITI,

That's crazy, I just left him a voice mail with my number as well as Hunters, He hasn't contacted me, and as far as I know, he hasn't contacted Hunter.

Thank you for the information sir!

23-Mar-18
He said hes out of town or busy over the weekend. Probably with the expo, but that he would call me next week.

24-Mar-18
Excellent, Lets keep it moving!

25-Mar-18
Got an e-mail from Kurt Davis. He asked why I thought the airbow would be more appropriate in the rifle season. Sent him a reply restating the differences between archery equipment and air rifles. Gotta say, this is the most feedback I've ever received from writing folks on any state's game commission.

31-Jan-22
Hi, just ran across this thread as I am considering getting an air bow gun because I do have severe nerve damage from the waist down and with a light rotator cuff tear . It's virtually impossible for me to cock a crossbow... For the very few people that hunt and are handicapped and want to participate in the bow season, this is a godsend... You do realize that the pool of people utilizing this would be very, very small and not spread throughout the general public.

31-Jan-22
With all due respect for your ailments, perhaps it’s time to pick up a muzzleloader or rifle.

31-Jan-22
Gimp there are crossbows that cock using small cranks. You can just crank it around and around like a small winch to bring the limbs back.

31-Jan-22
I do use a muzzleloader and do hunt with a rifle..... I used to bow hunt when I was young (59 now) and have been using a crossbow with a crank which is a pain... Adds more weight, issues, etc. With the coues season rut happening in January and the ONLY way to hunt them is with a bow, this would be great for me with limited mobility. If in my shoes, you would understand and I do understand your points of view. BUT, this is for a very limited group of people....

31-Jan-22
“I was a home run hitter in high school…..when I played minor league ball and had to use wooden bats, I had warning track power at best. I didn’t petition MLB to move the fence in closer so I could be a home run hitter again.”

31-Jan-22
Emails sent. Thanks for the heads up

31-Jan-22
Anyhow, have a good one... I was just researching things... Hope to be a participant again despite my handicap.

31-Jan-22
If you give the industry an inch, they will take a mile. That’s they problem. Everything is a money grab

31-Jan-22
Stix and SBH, did you really send emails about this issue from 4 years ago?

31-Jan-22

bowhunt's embedded Photo
bowhunt's embedded Photo
I can definitely see someone wanting to hunt the rut, that is no longer physically able to shoot a bow.

Unfortunately I don’t see how this weapon could possibly be considered a bow, and shouldn’t be allowed during bow season.

I think “arrow GUN” would be a more accurate description of this weapon.

31-Jan-22
I click on your handle and see you are indeed “Mr. Respecki”. Enjoy the Arizona hunting.

31-Jan-22
Great, it started with the stupid xguns now they want to shove these down our throats. I hope enough people still want the challenge of actually hunting with a bow and arrow drawn at the point of a close kill to keep archery going. Gets sickning.

31-Jan-22
It is hunters who support items such as this, and the scoped crossbow. Please do not forget that, keep blame where it is most deserved.

31-Jan-22
I agree with that Missouri, but someone (State DNR's) need to step up and say no.

31-Jan-22
Many state DNR's could care less about the plight of human hunters. Their liberalized focus has been protecting and increasing predation, all in an effort to minimize the need for human hunters. It is working for them.

31-Jan-22
Of course there going to follow the blueprint that worked with crossbows. Start with the B.S. about how this is only going to be for disabled hunters.... It worked like a charm once, there's no reason to believe it won't work again.

31-Jan-22
Can anyone enlighten us, as to how this came out back in '18?

I never heard another word about it.

31-Jan-22
Man, talk about bringing back the dead…Whoa!

31-Jan-22
This is an old thread, but likely something similar will play out soon, (again and again), in a state near you!

31-Jan-22
This was allowed and now is not legal. The Department pulled it. There is no debate. People are abusing the crossbow permits hardcore from what I can see and the data I have heard.

31-Jan-22

Bowboy's Link
Next they’ll want to include the new Traditions XBR 22 as archery.

31-Jan-22

Bowboy's embedded Photo
Traditions Crackshot XBR
Bowboy's embedded Photo
Traditions Crackshot XBR

31-Jan-22
Not much different than the modern scoped crossbow.

31-Jan-22
No limbs, no strings and cables, doesn't have to be pulled back to shoot, and no cams. Those a a few huge differences between a modern cross bow, and the above air rifle that seem fairly obvious with a quick look.

31-Jan-22
Scar, you should post this on the Arizona forum too. I know that not a lot of people post there, but I think a decent number of folks check in regularly to look for new posts.

31-Jan-22
There have been several "projectile firing" devices over the years. Some used gun powder with an interchangeable barrel to accept bolts, such as the Ruger AIRROW 10/22 rifle. Now you have pneumatics, such as the Benjamin Bull Pup, the Umarex Air Sabre and Air Javelin.

These are marketed, along with crossbows, to the rifle hunting crowd. "Become a 2 season hunter", "Shoot from a familiar platform" are 2 of the phrases they like to throw around. Take RAVIN Crossbows: "Meet Your Next Rifle" ad.

I have been fighting the crossbow for over 2 decades and the pneumatics for 4 years now in NYS. It is strictly about marketing and selling to the rifle hunter demographic. They do not care about any other market.

They can parade around an elderly person, a wounded Veteran, a physically challenged person, a youth or a female, who they claim are too weak to draw back a true bow. After the ruse, and any projectile throwing machine is allowed in for the disabled, the elderly, the youth, or the female, then door is open and then they go for full inclusion.

I have called them out on it too many times to count. Ask them about options, such as the Draw-Loc. It allows your OWN, current bow to be modified so that it can be drawn back, and "locked" into full draw. A permit is required, as should be a physical examination by a doctor to determine the degree of disability. They do not want to hear about that option because the person is then not buying a crossbow or pneumatic bolt thrower.

Go after them with facts, show them the comparison between a true hand drawn, hand held bow to a crossbow and to a pneumatic bolt thrower. Which is archery? Pictures don't lie. You need face to face meetings with them or the chief of staff to educate them. The crossbow/airbow people always, and I mean ALWAYS use the emotional argument because they cannot fight a legitimate one based on facts.

Good luck with your fight.

31-Jan-22
I shot the airbow/gun at cabelas, it works but I would never use it for hunting. However, as long as it's kept for the handicap I don't see it being a problem. Just like crossbows, people who choose to use them have the right to do so. Your arguing and trying to stop technology, and that's not going to fly. Lots of hunters are using tech, so time to live with it.

31-Jan-22
Why should the integrity of the archery season succumb to technological advancements of superior implements. Archery seasons were established because it was realized that it takes longer to kill a deer with archery tackle due to it's distinct parameters. Mostly, having game come into range, (the national bowkill distance average is 15 yards), then stealthily draw back the bow without being seen. With advantages of being pre loaded and pre cocked, the ability to be shot from a variety of positions, and the use of scopes, should nullify it's qualifications for use during ANY archery season for ANY reason. So I guess that you were in favor of the Texas remote hunt outfitter, where a rifle would be set up and cameras would be used so that the "hunter" could aim the rifle and remotely pull the trigger. That's technology, but that's not hunting, well maybe for you it is. Anything built upon a rifle stock or rifle platform should solely be legal for use during the rifle season. Nothing mentioned above is archery.

31-Jan-22
HILARIOUS! Hell ya I sent emails! Don't have to ask me twice! Maybe I better start looking at the dates......SHEESH.

31-Jan-22
If AZGFD cared anything about Fair Chase they wouldn't allow radio/electronic communication and spotlighting... hypocrisy. I'm gonna have surgery next month and will prove how easy it is to get a handicap permit in Az. How much are these airbows anyways? Asking for a friend... Ed F

03-Feb-22
Gents, this post is very old! The airbow isn't legal in AZ for archery! Maybe for rifle season but not archery! I think if someone is "truly" handicapped, it would be fine! But it seems it was a fad! I haven't heard anything about it here in AZ for a long time... But I am not associated the Arizona Bowhunters anymore! If someone is really handicapped, I would be fine with them using it! Not from some BS injury that they will recover from! And I did post this on the AZ forum when we were fighting it!

• Sitka Gear