bad karma 31-Mar-18
Skippy 31-Mar-18
Drahthaar 31-Mar-18
bad karma 31-Mar-18
thehairlessone 01-Apr-18
Skippy 01-Apr-18
25-Mar-18

bad karma's embedded Photo
Not the best presentaction from yesterday’s first run but really tasty.
bad karma's embedded Photo
Not the best presentaction from yesterday’s first run but really tasty.
We are just s of Salina on 135, a few hours from world class fun at Shiloh Ranch. Naturally we brought enough stuff to go to war with Syria and win it in a month. Tonight’s dinner will be ancho pork belly tacos with grilled ancho pineapple and pickled onions. We alternate the dinner and tonight’s my turn.

25-Mar-18
We are just s of Salina on 135, a few hours from world class fun at Shiloh Ranch. Naturally we brought enough stuff to go to war with Syria and win it in a month. Tonight’s dinner will be ancho pork belly tacos with grilled ancho pineapple and pickled onions. We alternate the dinner and tonight’s my turn.

25-Mar-18
Presentation is bad. It’s darn tasty. That was the hurried taco dinner after cooking the first batch last week.

25-Mar-18
Can't wait for the updates good luck BK

25-Mar-18
I’m having great luck. I get to hunt this week. Most of the world never gets to do this. I bow hunt hogs once or twice a year.

25-Mar-18
Keep us updated on your hunt. Just finishing up dinner of wild boar German sausage. Enjoying the spoils of the hunt. Good luck and pick a spot.

25-Mar-18
Looking forward to this hunt. Hope you stay dry and kill a couple of brutes.

25-Mar-18
I’ll shoot them in the rain. Great time to spot and stalk.

25-Mar-18
Good luck! I've got some wild hog meatballs and sausage on my Kamado Joe right now. Recipe for the sausage was one that Cheryl posted years ago.

26-Mar-18
Six pm. No hogs yet. Hot and humid in the can.

26-Mar-18
Six pm. No hogs yet. Hot and humid in the can.

26-Mar-18
Nothing yet. Surprising no rain. But that humidity holds the scent well. It’ll be tough hunting tonight

26-Mar-18
Good luck!

26-Mar-18
Pictures!

27-Mar-18
Keep it coming it's almost like being there. Well not quite.

27-Mar-18
Whoa! Where's the story? Where's the pics? Bad Karma has a little more patience than me but he's still a weak man when a big pig goes broadside. C'mon man!

27-Mar-18
Don't mean to cut in on BK thread but I can say it has been pouring rain, thunder, lightening and flooding. Tuff, tuff, tuff. They count even get out a couple times. I know they have shot 2 for sure. Hopefully the weather gets better in next 2 days.

28-Mar-18
Nothing for me, so far. Haven't even sent an arrow out after one. Did not even see a pig the first night. So, for those of you that think this is not hunting, think again.

28-Mar-18
Good luck tonight

28-Mar-18
Go get 'em BK!

28-Mar-18
I've had several dry sits at Shiloh, but if you can get some decent weather it will happen. Pick a spot and post your pics. Good luck!!

29-Mar-18
BK, are you in your usual location or stalking? Can't believe you don't have a ton of pork on the ground by now. Getting picky there councilor?

30-Mar-18
Ok. In addition to build an arc rain, both the internet and the phone were having problems. I gave up on the internet and could barely text. Between the two, I was quite frustrated.

Monday night I never even saw a hog. Sat at six. It sprinkled the whole time. Winds were good but the hogs were apparently looking for grubs and worms.

Tuesday morning it’s raining hard. And it did all day. You could not cross the creek at 5 or the one between 4 and 6. Well maybe with chest waders. So in the morning I tried to spot and stalk. And kept getting busted. Tuesday night, nothing came in. One guy shot a small hog. Nothing else.

Wednesday the creeks went down. But the wind got fickle. Spot and stalk became spot and get winded. Got within. 27 yds of some medium hogs but the intervening brush was a problem. Waiting for one to move bit to the left, I eventually got busted. Bob and I found a herd of about sixty, including several big ones that afternoon. I had some sixty yard options at one point, way too far. Got spotted, and caught back up with them 2x. Never closer than 45 yards, too far for a pig. I find one bedded at 42 yards by seeing his nose in a bunch of downfall right off the road. Daren moves in for a shot, has the angle but a stick covers his vitals. Eventually we get busted.

That night I set up near the ground blind after seeing a lot of traffic there. Sure enough, I see plenty of hogs, mostly west of me. 4 came in close, all downwind of me. 3 other hogs go down that night. I have yet to get a shot.

Thursday. Last day. I go out alone at first light. Find where a lot of hogs are bedded. Slow down, easy to do because I’m on day four of walking in greasy, slippery piggy mud. After getting busted a few times, swirly wind, thank you, I find a group of three. They move away, I start to follow, find two spoilers, get within 15 yards. There’s one standing on the other side of a log, the two others have bedded. If he moves forward one step, I’ll have a shot. So I wait, and hear a grunt. A red hog comes behind me and sounds the alarm from 10 yds away. Thanks, pal.

There are a lot of hogs bedded in this area. But it’s thick and hard to get close. Too many spoilers.

30-Mar-18
Sounds like a tough hunt. We have experienced both the heavy rains and flooding where you struggle to get to any of the stands. And the early spring hogs that would rather look for grubs and worms than come to corn. As you have stated, anyone who thinks this hunt is canned had better think again.

30-Mar-18
So Thursday afternoon, I decide to hit Rattlesnake Ridge. Northwest wind, if it stays steady, is perfect. I get there at 4. Throw some corn out and trail both directions. The feeder at 4 goes off at 5:37. Nothing comes by. A whitetail doe comes in, but leaves after I move once. About 6:45, two more come by, better yet, I see some pigs north of me. I pick up my bow. The deer walk away. The pigs run by until one stops at the corn. Quickly, there are about a dozen, including a good sized sow. Then a good boar comes in. He’s getting close to broadside. I draw back, his leg is forward. Crap, the peep is not straight on. I have to let down. A couple of pigs twitch, the group scatters, then start to return. He’s facing me. I see a big hog southeast of me, down below. Hoping he doesn’t wind me, I look back at the hogs. He’s facing me quartering toward and then the group startles. He’s broadside, I’m waiting for his leg to move forward, it does. I shoot, he moves and I see him run with a pink luminock about 6” our from his right side. The shot looks higher and further back than I want. I head over to where he was and find some, not much, blood. I can see a trail, bright red, but not a lot. There is a trail though and I follow iit. I find the back of the arrow. No gut shot smell, a good sign I hope. Daylight is about gone. I reach for my 1000 lumen flashlight. Darn, it's not in the pack. Stick the lighted shaft in the ground, I go back to the stand. It's better than 300 yds back to the stand, no dead pig. Pigs at the platform. Light fell out of the pack, I see it on the ground and walk back. It takes a while to get to the luminock, but I found it. Good thing it was still lit.

Back I go. The blood is sparse. I lose the trail, then find tiny drops. They show up well with bright light. More blood, he changes direction, zigs and zags, hard change again after 150 yds or so. I’m wondering if he’ll keep going or if he will be dead soon.

Another 30 yards and there’s a big boar. I text for help. He’s not a one man drag. I’d put it at over 500 yds of track and over an hour.

205 lb boar on their scales. The Ramcat passed through the other side, and did it’s job well. A mad drag from Les, aka “Country" and my friends later, and it’s time to celebrate.

4 days. Last hour. Tough hunting. I’m tired, mud covered and happy. Still a great hunting trip, despite awful weather. Fun hunt, great folks. Matt and Cheryl are wonderful.

No shots for four days then at the last hour, a nice, tasty hog. No disappointment at only getting one. I put in a lot of wet, sloppy miles, as we all did. And a satisfying long tracking to find him. Darn, this is fun.

Great memories.

31-Mar-18

Tradman and Huntress's embedded Photo
Hey look! They both have the same grey whiskers!
Tradman and Huntress's embedded Photo
Hey look! They both have the same grey whiskers!
Here's a pic of Kevin's big boar. This one was worth the wait! Check out the tusks on this brute! You can sure see a lot of European influence in him. Everyone got at least one hog, but it sure wasn't a slam dunk hunt. Good job and congratulations! It was a great time for us too, getting to visit with you all again. See you next year.

31-Mar-18
Nice Boar Bad Karma!

31-Mar-18
I knew BK could pull it off and on a dandy hog as well. I worried the rain would be a problem. Glad you got a nice one (as usual). Congrats buddy.

31-Mar-18
Congrats and again BK. You showed your the man even in bad conditions. Great hog.

31-Mar-18
Not the man. Poor shot on him, whether my fault in hurrying, or his in moving. (I'll blame it on the pig, but I know I shot fast.) What helped was he never stopped bleeding, or I would have never found him. The trail would have made a fine blood trail challenge on Bowsite. Liking those Ramcats.......

In retrospect, when I shot he was broadside. The shot, from the entry and exit wounds, was clearly quartering towards, so I'm confident that he did move as I shot.

31-Mar-18
Great pig you got there !!! Congrats and safe home ..Mike

31-Mar-18
Congrats, great effort, great hog...

31-Mar-18
Another note: You'll find blood trailing easier with a 1000 lumen LED light. They're relatively cheap right now. Blood drops stand out, and you can pick up eyes 50 yards away or more. Money well spent. I would not have found him with normal lights.

31-Mar-18
BK, what brand of light?

31-Mar-18
Good Job, nice cutters. Forrest

31-Mar-18
I don't know what brand of light. It's some China made thing..... no markings on it. Runs off a rechargeable battery. I'll try to find where I bought it from my friend who told me about it. But any 1000 lumen light will work. I bought one on Ebay for $12 or so delivered.

01-Apr-18
awesome hog

01-Apr-18
Thanks BK!

• Sitka Gear