Jeff in MN 31-Mar-18
bill v 31-Mar-18
Whip 31-Mar-18
Julius Koenig 31-Mar-18
Jeff in MN 01-Apr-18
TEmbry 01-Apr-18
Julius Koenig 01-Apr-18
26-Mar-18
I thought I'd post this in the elk forum because it may get a few more looks. Hopefully this will save several hunters some cash! Don't forget to purchase a 2017 annual fishing or small game license prior to March 31 to avoid paying pref pts fees if you intend on applying for 2018 deer, elk, and antelope in Colo. Another way around the pref pt fee is if you drew any big game license in 2017 or end up drawing a particular species that you are applying for in 2018. I know it's a little confusing but will save you some cash! Good luck in the draws!

27-Mar-18
Thanks for the reminder jims

27-Mar-18
Bingo, thx!

27-Mar-18
At $40/point, it pays even if you are only getting points for 2 of the 3 animals.

27-Mar-18
One thing to consider though is if you are applying for 2 species but you will draw one of them, it is better to just pay the point on the onther one. . . For example I have a friend that is applying for the first time. He is applying for a tag for elk, and a point for deer. For elk, he is applying for a tag as a first choice that is a 73% draw last year. And on his second choice, he chose an elk tag that was 100% draw out to choice number 3. So I did not have him buy a fishing license because he should only have to pay for the deer point ($40) as he should draw the other license

27-Mar-18
If you didn't have a license in CO last year, but did apply for several hunts and points, (also bought habitat stamp), then you wouldn't have to pay the $40 this year, right?

27-Mar-18
Enjoy that while it lasts word is that it will be going away and points are going to increase significantly

27-Mar-18
Iceman, way I understand it you only don’t have to pay if you had an active valid license in the prior year. So from what you describe they would charge the fee.

27-Mar-18

iceman's embedded Photo
iceman's embedded Photo
10-4 Dotman.

Just realized it is charged AFTER the draw.

28-Mar-18
I've already applied for points for deer & elk - didn't have a CO license of any kind last year. If I buy a fishing license now will that work or did I need to do that at the time I did the points app?

28-Mar-18
You can buy the fishing license through the end of this month and be covered.

28-Mar-18
"If you didn't have a license in CO last year, but did apply for several hunts and points, (also bought habitat stamp), then you wouldn't have to pay the $40 this year, right? "

Not correct. In your example you would be charged $40 in all apps where you get a point, but not a tag. However, lets say you didn't have a license last year, but applied for a point for deer and a tag for elk this year. You draw the elk tag AS A SECOND CHOICE, and get an elk point AND an elk tag, and get a deer point. You will be charged $40 for the deer point but nothing for the elk point.

28-Mar-18
Is it a catch or incomplete??? Give me a break.

Question, as a NR, with no license last year, I draw a tag this year and apply for two other species which most likely will be points, I'll be charge 40 bucks??????????????????

Bowmania

28-Mar-18
$40.00 per species

28-Mar-18
And if I buy a fishing license? What will that save me?

Bowmania

28-Mar-18
$40.00 per species

29-Mar-18
It reads as if you will not pay the pp fee if you buy a fishing license. Which is funny, because if you are a NR and draw or buy a big game license, you get a free fishing license.. LOL

29-Mar-18
"NR, with no license last year, I draw a tag this year and apply for two other species which most likely will be points, I'll be charge 40 bucks?????????????????? "

So if you apply for 3 species and get one tag you would pay $80 ($40 per species you don't draw). So it would be cheaper to buy the 2017 fishing license for $56

Peco, yes, but the fishing license you would be buying to save money in this application expires this Saturday, whereas the fishing license you get with your hunting tag will be good until next March 31, and will keep you from paying PP fees NEXT year

29-Mar-18
"And if I buy a fishing license? What will that save me? "

. Will save you $24 ($80 - $56)

29-Mar-18
So just to clarify. I bought a otc nr elk tag last year. Will I be charged the 40 bucks?

29-Mar-18
And then because all these hunters are (being forced) buying fishing licenses the CPW can show that fisherman are paying their fair share of the budget. How does this make any sense?

29-Mar-18
Crazy: no, you won't pay any fees!

29-Mar-18
Kadbow, you can also buy an annual small game license if you don’t want to inflate what the fisherman contribute ;)

29-Mar-18
By requiring all NRs to buy a fishing license with their big game license CPW is upping the numbers to qualify for more Dingle-Johnson money. Smart move on their part. I wont complain. Price of fun for the best fun on the planet.

29-Mar-18
Just want to confirm that a non-resident annual hunting or fishing license will exempt me (and my co-worker who I talked into applying for all species) from paying the preference point fees on everything we applied for? The regs say “ 2017 annual fishing, annual small game, annual resident combination”. The reference to “resident” kind of makes it somewhat ambiguous.

29-Mar-18
Maybe nonresidents can't buy the combo? I'm just guessing, not sure.

30-Mar-18
HOW TO AVOID IT. If you don’t want to pay the fee, you have until March 31, 2018, to purchase a 2017 annual fishing, annual small game, annual resident combination fishing and small game, or resident senior fishing license

The last two are only offered to residents. Buy one of the first to, and you are good to go

30-Mar-18
Jeez!! alright if maybe you guys can clarify for me. I think I know the answer but here goes so I get it right. Did not hunt Co last year.

2018, pref points for Elk, Goat and Sheep. I will draw Muledeer this year.

Even with the MD tag I will still be charged $120 for the PP's right ? so I should by the annual license? Right?

thanks bill v

30-Mar-18
Txhunter58,

Thank you and you are correct. I talked to a hunt planner on another issue and confirmed this as well.

Bill V,

I don’t think you will be charged $40 for the mule deer tag if you draw. The $40 is for the preference point I believe. I think you still want to buy the 2017 license as it will save you some money.

I also learned the $40 fee is only for elk, deer, antelope, and bear. No fee for sheep or moose.

My apologies If I added confusion to this post. Thank you for starting this post. It will save me some money. I just got done with Utah and New Mexico. Every state has its own way of doing things and they all have different loop holes. Reminds me, I need to do my taxes.

30-Mar-18
Better buy a 2017 fishing license today or tomorrow!

30-Mar-18
I do wonder how many put in for all species at $3 a pop not realizing the $40 fee after the draw is over.

30-Mar-18
Agree Dotman. I wonder also how CO will stick it to the new applicants for sheep, goats, and moose. It seems that they forgot to stick it to them this year, so expect it to really hurt next year.

30-Mar-18
If you apply for the 999-99 preference point code you're charged 40. What if you apply for, say , unit 2 for elk and don't draw, you get a point. Will you be charged the 40?

If you're not charge that's a loop hole. If you are and you do it for 20 years which won't draw you a tag, that's 800 bucks in points!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bowmania

30-Mar-18
There's no such loophole.

30-Mar-18
in the sheep and goat book it says on pg one under "Licence fees"

Quote: the pref pt fee will still be charged if you are unsucc in the draw and do not meet the exemption criteria (pg 6).

Pg 6 does not confirm this, in fact it suggest the opposite. bill v

30-Mar-18
Thanks for the reminder. I actually tried to withdraw my elk point application for a preference point first but that wasn't an option. Changed my mind about building elk points in CO so I'll end up with 3 and figure out what to do with them whenever.

30-Mar-18
Last year I applied for a NR PP only. I bought an OTC either sex elk tag.

Will I still have to pay for the PP for this year?

Will the online application process automatically figure this out for me??

30-Mar-18
I am getting tired of answering the same question over and over. Don't look at the last post I made, but the one just before that. The answer you seek is there. .

And yes, it will automatically figure that out for you by using your CID number

31-Mar-18
I talked to a CO dnr agent today and he said this $40 fee is all Bull. And he did not mean bull elk. Can someone provide an actual link on the CPW web site that says this. I only have 12 hours left to buy the fishing license if this is really true. After all, tomorrow is April 1. I saw the picture posted above but I still have doubts if I need to buy the fishing license.

31-Mar-18

Jeff in MN's Link
Holy crap, I found it at the link below. In page 2. But is is dated 2014.

31-Mar-18
I think the dnr agent is full of bull. It is in the regs, page 2, I believe. It's posted above.

31-Mar-18
Good luck Jeff. Download the current big game brochure and read it, as stated, page 2 (but you have to scroll thru lots of "correction" pages). Go straight to the source.

31-Mar-18
I tried to buy 2017 annual license today and it won’t let me. But I can get a 2018 license.. trying to figure it out with an online chat agent...

31-Mar-18
Bill V- that was an error in the printed version of the Sheep brochure. They posted a correction last week on the CPW web site in the on-line Sheep brochure.

As far as the 40.00 point fee for Elk, Deer, Bear, and Pronghorn and it's avoidance....that's been in effect for the past 3-4 years. The big game brochure spells it out.

31-Mar-18
I found it on pages 2 and 18 in the general hunting regs. I am guessing this fee was always there, maybe even with the fishing license exception. They probably just took it out of your refund when you were not drawn and you we never noticed it. Hope I can do better at buying a fishing license than Julius was.

Funny it was in the sheep and goat regs but they took it out.

31-Mar-18
Julius, look in your shopping cart. I had the same problem and it had left it in my cart from earlier.

For your credit card, do not leave any blanks in it.

At the end where you agree to terms be sure to click the box that to say you agree.

But I did finally get that valuable but worthless fishing license. Don't panic when you see 2018 in both of the fishing license dates. Look close at the whole from and to dates, it is a 1 day license.

31-Mar-18
Bought my 2 day fishing license yesterday for elk and deer PP’s.

31-Mar-18
Jeff, when I try to add the 2017 annual license it gives me a validation error. But I can add a 2018 license that expires in 2019. Is that what you experienced? Thanks

31-Mar-18
No, the 2017 fishing license was just not showing up in the list of licenses to purchase. Looked in my cart and it was there.

Different subject, I thought this was odd but probably correct, I ended buying a one day 2017 habitat stamp and whole year 2018 habitat stamp.

31-Mar-18
Julius, try signing totally out of their system and back in. Just a guess. Sort of like a reboot.

31-Mar-18
Sticksender Thanks, I can't believe there is no PP charge for sheep and goat. I went ahead and bought the fishing lic anyway {yesterday} oh well, it cost me $16 extra.

Will they be charging for PP's on S&G next year?

bill v

31-Mar-18
I keep getting this error. "Failed to include privilege by rule. Quantity exceeded maximum allowance." I've signed in and out a couple of times. Tried it on both 2017 fishing and small game with no luck. Any ideas?

31-Mar-18
Same here whip.

01-Apr-18
Whip and Julius, did you get through in time to get your fishing license? If not maybe when you call someone tomorrow they can somehow fix you up with a 2017 fishing license or equivalent before the application period ends.

01-Apr-18
Gotta brag on Colorado for a second with this new system. Incredibly simple system for updating CC info. Never fails, just like last year I received an email this morning (mid draw season) stating my card may have been compromised and they will issue a new one this week. Trying to figure out how to change NV and NM when I get home now.

01-Apr-18
Jeff, that’s my plan. It is my fault for waiting until the last minute though. Haha.

• Sitka Gear