StickFlicker 01-Apr-18
AlleninNM 01-Apr-18
BIG BEAR 01-Apr-18
Huntcell 01-Apr-18
Huntcell 01-Apr-18
HDE 01-Apr-18
WapitiBob 01-Apr-18
31-Mar-18
Hey Bow Bros. I have a private land oryx tag. I dont need a guide. And am curious where I would find any landowners here in NM that would let me hunt an oryx. Im sure there would be a fee, which is fine, couldnt be as much as hiring a guide tho. I dont expect anyone to give up there " spots ", just wondering if theres any maps or lists I can get my hands on. Thanks ..

01-Apr-18
So why would you buy a private land tag that came with no private land to hunt? The next question is how did a LO that doesn't have oryx on his land get a tag to sell you?

01-Apr-18
You can go online and just buy a private land onyx tag, anytime you want. doesn’t ask what private land your hunting . Tag is good for the month you request. They are unlimited so you could, I suspect buy more than one or for a couple other months also but at about $1,600 a pop you got be liken onyx a lot, to go that route.

Ya why would you buy one with out having private land lined up before hand.

01-Apr-18
Back at ya bow bro. Check with the local DNR office they. May have some ideas. Good luck

01-Apr-18
I've never bought one but I thought you had to have an ranch authorization code to buy the tag.

01-Apr-18
Nope just went online and checked a private land onyx tag, just select the month you want to hunt. No question about landowner or guide nothing like that. Just pay and your good to go, oh you need wait for it to arrive in the mail. No quota, no draw, just don’t shoot one on public, ouch!

01-Apr-18
LOL no refunds

01-Apr-18
How did those things become free ranging out there ?? Are they escapees from game farms ??

01-Apr-18
They're escapees from the White Sands Missile Range. They were planted by Game and Fish in the early 70's, since there weren't many native animals in that area.

01-Apr-18
Oryx were introduced into the State by New Mexico Game and Fish back in the 1960's.

01-Apr-18
So the Government introduced an invasive species.... Now they make you buy a tag to control them.... seems kind of ass backwards..... Especially at $1,600 a pop.

01-Apr-18

Huntcell 's Link
A paragraph from the linked article

“Between 1969 and 1973, 93 oryx were released onto the missile range - and quickly began to reproduce. Researchers believed that the population would never grow beyond 500 to 600 and would remain within the Tularosa Basin. However, the animals proved to be extremely opportunistic, and quickly spread into the San Andres Mountains. Some observers estimate the current oryx population at 5,000 or more, and animals have been spotted from 60 miles south of Albuquerque all the way down to West Texas.

01-Apr-18
One persons invasive species is another’s recreation opportunity. Like ringneck pheasants they sell a lot of license in Iowa and the Dakotas for that transplant.

01-Apr-18
Well, anyone reading this that knows nothing about them, don't think you can just go out and get a tag and shoot one easily.

Always wise to secure permission first and them buy the tag...

01-Apr-18
I know an absolute killer that lives there and he had a tough time with off range Oryx.

• Sitka Gear