TEmbry 02-Apr-18
Nick Muche 02-Apr-18
Pete In Fairbanks 02-Apr-18
Salagi 02-Apr-18
APauls 02-Apr-18
TD 02-Apr-18
Pete In Fairbanks 03-Apr-18
02-Apr-18
Doesn’t seem to be easily located info online. For B&C/P&Y entry purposes, can anyone post up a map or description of the cutoff between the species in Alaska? I’ve heard references to “South of the Alaskan Range” and “____ miles from the coast” but never anything concrete. Mainly out of curiosity. A lot of areas that have really big grizzlies or really small brown bears depending on where that line falls.

02-Apr-18

wildwilderness's embedded Photo
Brown bear boundary
wildwilderness's embedded Photo
Brown bear boundary
This is what I got from Pope and Young

02-Apr-18
Perfect, thanks. That was the exact description I was looking for. I remember the 62nd parallel and Alaska Range Divide parts, the rest is new info to me.

02-Apr-18
When you get your copy of The Ethic, you'll see a description in there as well. Good luck physically following the "line" via a topo map, I've tried a few times and it's pretty confusing.

02-Apr-18
That line transects an area that I used to guide in, in GMU 19, back in the 70's.

I have actually watched a brown bear (crossing the imaginary line) as it turned into a grizzly!

Pete

02-Apr-18
So if you shot a bear on the north side of the line, but it crossed to the other side before dying, would it be a brown bear or a grizzly?

02-Apr-18
Thankfully that confusion has been cleared up in recent years. Now all you need to do is ask it how it identifies.

02-Apr-18
LOL!...... thanks, made my day.....

03-Apr-18
APauls for the win...!

• Sitka Gear