Contributors to this thread:
stick n string 06-Apr-18
Pyrannah 06-Apr-18
elk yinzer 06-Apr-18
Inshart 06-Apr-18
APauls 06-Apr-18
Lee 06-Apr-18
06-Apr-18
Good Friday morning to everybody. I have a question regarding maps and "Thick" areas in woods. Weather pending, my dad and I are driving to Maryland tomorrow to check out a new to us area that I think we can deep enough into that we can avoid most of the hunting pressure.

I have spent a lot of time looking at topo and satellite maps to figure out how the contour of the land may create good funnels and also to find any "openings" that may be in the woods. This specific area I want to look at is about 1-1/2 mile wide by 6 or so miles long. I have gone over the different entry points and such, but what I really would like is to somehow see where there may be "thick" areas of either mountain laurel or anything else that may help define a bedding area a little better before heading in. We can certainly cover the area in a day, but it would put us much farther ahead if I can isolate where we expect the best bedding to be so instead of flying though everything, we can take our time and really pick through smaller areas to better get a feel for exactly what it looks like.

As I said, I have a couple specific spots I want to look at based on topo showing good funnels and also some small openings that I would like to see how they may be used, but I really want to find some bigger buck sign to know that it is indeed an area that we have a good chance of seeing better bucks if we play our cards right. I know this area has good bucks as I see and hear about a couple really good ones that come out of that area in rifle season when the hoards of people drive it out. They have to be there in archery and I want to be there with them.

So, are there any mapping options that give one a better chance at seeing where there may be thicker patches/areas? When I look at the satellite imaging on onX, its all trees with leaves on. Thanks for any help

06-Apr-18
On Google earth you can look at the satellite imagery at different time periods to get a sense of what the cover looks like in the winter mode.

There is a button towards the top with an arrow and a clock. Click that and go from there!

Also interested in other ideas if there are any

Good luck in md! I hunt it some as well, but struggle to find what you are looking for in regards to public grnd

06-Apr-18
I wish google earth had more winter imagery. That is the the only way to see mountain laurel. You can play with the historical imagery and maybe get a good winter image. If there is timbering activity the historical images can give you a good perspective of when that happened with respect to where the regeneration will be.

If I can't find a good photo on GE I'll check bing and caltopo, occasionally that will get me one. I'm pretty sure Terraserver you can find current satellite imagery but I don't really want it badly enough to pay for it, I can usually find something serviceable for free.

06-Apr-18
I've spent most of my life hunting white tails in big woods. The best areas seem to be small "swampy" or "pond like" spots with-in these big areas. By small I'm talking 40 - 50 yards across. Many, many times I've watched bucks push does into these small pockets. I also find bedding areas close by. Not to mention the obvious food supplements in these wet areas.

06-Apr-18
Figured this out ^^^^ last year on some public land. Last day of the season of course. Snow is great for tracking.

06-Apr-18
Look at an old topo for white areas (open) and compare them to a recent aerial. If you don't see an open area where the topo shows one it is likely grown up and serving as a bedding area now.

Lee

• Sitka Gear