bowhunter55 09-Apr-18
Dino 09-Apr-18
Yellowjacket 09-Apr-18
midwest 09-Apr-18
Ermine 09-Apr-18
Ermine 10-Apr-18
TD 10-Apr-18
08-Apr-18
Do you prefer wrist strap finger trigger or hand held thumb activated and why.

08-Apr-18
Maybe

08-Apr-18
Neither, I shoot a pure back tension all the time. I don’t do well with triggers!

08-Apr-18
Winn free flight I consider it sort of a hybrid. I use my middle finger to trigger. I had to see what the thumb releases were about and tried a couple high dollar models, but went back to old reliable. Just couldn't get as dialed in. I think it mostly had to do with the anchor point being instinctual at this point. I couldn't get my anchor right with thumb release wearing heavy layers. I despise wrist strap releases, need to grab onto something while drawing.

08-Apr-18
I'm using a Scott wrist strap with finger trigger. Shot my compounds with fingers until about 8 years ago. Switched to a release with immediate improvement. Actually at age 71 shooting better than ever. Haven't tried the others and don't see a reason to now.

08-Apr-18
I like the Spot Hogg Keeton. It works very well for me.

08-Apr-18
Handheld thumb activated seems to work better for me. In a hunting situation, I can clip it to my loop or store it in my pocket leaving my hand free to do other stuff until the shot. At the time of the shot, I am just more accurate with it, I don't have the tendency to jerk the trigger like I do with a wrist strap finger trigger.

08-Apr-18
Thats a great question, Bou. For me, depends on what im shootin at. I like a wrist strap finger trigger release if im shooting at a downward angle out of a treestand. I prefer a 4 finger/thumb style release if im shooting at an upward angle, say at something up in a tree like a mountain lion...

08-Apr-18
Carter Ember 1 with three fingers. Haven't hunted with a wrist strap in a long time. I seem to get better groups with a thumb style release. I have a string lanyard so I don't have worry about losing it.

09-Apr-18
Only ever used wrist strap finger

09-Apr-18
Neither for me either. I prefer a hinge release.

09-Apr-18
I switch back and forth between handhelds and wrist straps . If I could keep from punching I would only hunt with a wrist strap and hook release. Alas I get punchy.

09-Apr-18
I use a tru fire finger release. Messed around with a hinge release recently and really liked it, but can’t justify dropped $150-$200 on one right now.

09-Apr-18
I just switched to a Carter Like Mike, index finger release. I really like that there is zero trigger creep and I can set the tension as high as 5#'s. I'm using back tension to shoot it instead of squeezing the trigger.

09-Apr-18
Scott wrist strap caliper that I trigger with my middle finger. This winter I got a Carter Evolution and am practicing with it. I have no intentions to hunt with it, but I like the way the hand held feels at anchor.

09-Apr-18
Both my wife and I use Carter 4 finger thumb release. Most convenient for all types of hunting.

09-Apr-18
I'm a creature of habit. Believe it or not, I'm using the same Truefire wrist strap that I started with well over 20 years ago. ;-)

09-Apr-18
I got a few of each type of release, I get a little punchy with the thumb release, I practice with a hinge style backtension and hunt with a index trigger release. Gunna put away the ice fishing gear and dust the bows off soon

09-Apr-18
3 finger Too Simple. There is only a small minority of people that can actually shoot a index finger release without punching, I am not one of them.

09-Apr-18
Elk Inzer, like you I use my middle finger as my trigger finger. I find that laying my index finger on top of the caliper block helps me keep from punching for some reason. Started using my middle finger when I was a teen and had issues punching the trigger, and have just done it that way ever since

09-Apr-18
I used my middle finger when I was a teen too...............................and had issues! Oh wait, we're talking about releases................................................... ;-)

09-Apr-18
I found myself getting really punchy wirh my index finger realease this year. I was totally falling apart shooting game. I bought a thumb release to try and after a little learning curve I think I’m probably gonna be a convert. My biggest fear is loosing it in a hunting situation. Not at all in a treestand/blind, but when up and down the hills and mountains I can see it getting misplaced/lost when I REALLY need it. But I’ll just have to work through that phobia ;)

—jim

09-Apr-18
Go back and forth between 3 different hinges and a Carter Lucky. Feel much better with the hinge but trying to build back confidence with ANY trigger.

09-Apr-18
I use both. I guess my personal preference is to hunt with a hand-held. They fit out of the way in your pocket(I carry two). For league target shooting I use a wrist strap because they are a little easier to draw for me. I am lucky not to have TP issues however.

09-Apr-18
Been using a Carter RX2 since they came out with them. Love it. Have it set so it lays in the palm of my hand. I shoot it with back tension. The trigger sets in the middle knuckle of my trigger finger.

09-Apr-18
After a terrible bought of target panic, I now train with a tension activated release, and hunt with it or a thumb button that clips on to the string. Silverback and Nock 2it.

09-Apr-18
Neither. I shoot a Stan Element pull through

09-Apr-18

midwest's embedded Photo
midwest's embedded Photo
I developed a bad relapse of TP last year. I'm working through it.

09-Apr-18
Carter lucky

10-Apr-18
Carter lucky

10-Apr-18
Never mind.... this one was so teed up it was harder to lay off of than a hanging curve.....

• Sitka Gear