onX Hunt 12-Apr-18
Arrowhead 12-Apr-18
Trial153 12-Apr-18
Elkhntr101 14-Apr-18
WapitiBob 14-Apr-18
Michael 14-Apr-18
GBTG 15-Apr-18
11-Apr-18
Please forgive my ignorance here. I'm an oldschool paper map kind of guy and always have been. I know the tech advances in the mapping area have been significant in recent years. I need to get with the program. I don't really even know what I'm asking so bear with me please...

I'd like to be able to use my Iphone to see where I am on a map, see property boundaries, land status, set waypoints, find features like springs and water holes, trails, roads, landmarks, etc. I know I can do this with a chip compatible GPS, but how do I do this on a smart phone? Having to buy and keep all the chips is kind of a PITA. What phone app do I need/want? Do I need a cell signal to make this work? Is it a monthly or annual service? Make me like a millennial on this stuff please. Thanks.

11-Apr-18
Check out OnXmaps. I just renewed my membership and its $29 for a year. I think Randy Newberg has a promo code for 20% off - RANDY. You can use it out of service if you cache the maps ahead of time. Its really easy to do. Theres also quite a few videos out there to help you use it. Youll want to make sure you get a bank charger so your phone wont die when you need it. I would recommend any of Anker's products.

11-Apr-18
Well Nate, nothing will make you a millennial, and that's prob a good thing ;) I don't use OnX maps, but I do use HuntStand regularly. It will do all the features you mention other than the property boundaries. I research property boundaries, and then draw them on myself on HuntStand where I think I will need them. Works with and without cell service. It is a free app.

As far as I know any app that has preloaded boundaries will cost money, as there is definitely purchased investment there upfront by the app maker.

11-Apr-18
The Bowsite majority seems to favor Gaia

11-Apr-18
I was camping at a state park recently and struck up a conversation with a park ranger. he showed me Avenza maps on his phone that they were using for property maps, trail maps and forest service maps. he said it had the ability to drop different map overlays on each other. looked interesting. I was going to download it but my phone is too old for that app.

11-Apr-18
Gaia Premium.

11-Apr-18
I've used Avenza. Had trouble getting it to work reliably. My business partner uses On X. I use Gaia. Just be aware whatever you use that it is just a tax map. And, the boundaries may not be correct. God Bless

11-Apr-18
GAIA Premium x2

12-Apr-18
Trying out On X. Like the content, but man it sure is slow to load and change the screen data as you move and scroll around the map. Is that just me or is it slow by nature for you guys too?

Thanks for the suggestions.

12-Apr-18
Never liked the ON X. as you said, slow and I never felt it to be real accurate. I just went back to a simple GPS and a really good map. I also keep a compass with me at all times.

Just Another Old Guy!

12-Apr-18
Sorry to hear any issues of it being slow as that has not been an issue for quite some time. I'd recommend making sure your app is the most up to date version, as well as check your phone for any software updates. If you are in an area with poor service, it is a good idea to us downloaded maps cause then they will pull right up for you.

12-Apr-18
If your old school and want something "simple" and "free" then "Huntstand" will work just fine. I like it and it helps me keep up with all my stand sites. It has a simply tutorial even I can understand.

12-Apr-18
I run Gaia on my phone, also onx.

14-Apr-18
Gaia works great!

14-Apr-18

WapitiBob's Link
I just went back and looked at Basemap. It looks pretty good to me.

https://www.basemap.com/hunt-planner

14-Apr-18
I never had that great of luck with Onx. Mine locked up a lot on me. I ended up going to Trimble for a few years and liked that. When Gaia came along I tried that and haven’t looked back. Gaia premium is a very good investment.

15-Apr-18
GAIA maps for the last couple months.... I'm impressed!

• Sitka Gear