Mark Watkins 21-May-18
Inshart 23-May-18
Traveler 18-Apr-24
Huntcell 18-Apr-24
t-roy 18-Apr-24
Willieboat 18-Apr-24
pav 19-Apr-24
15-May-18
After seeing the thread on the Wyoming draws and all the discussion about drawing random tags, I figured I better get my story posted so those who didn’t draw can look forward to next year’s random chance or just flame me for being lucky! ?? In 2013, I drew my elk tag with points that were predictable and then two years later, I drew the random tag for the same unit with only one point.

And then two years later, I was lucky enough to draw a random moose tag with 1 or 2 points in 2017. The exact number of points doesn’t really matter as I started applying 10 years or so ago and after a couple years of learning all of the states systems, I didn’t see the value of buying the sheep or moose points in WY and just figured I’d keep applying hoping to draw another random and get lucky.

15-May-18

DEMO-Bowhunter's embedded Photo
So I’m sure you all understand my surprise last May when I received this!!! Not sure why Wyoming seems to love me, but I’m growing fond of her as well!
So I’m sure you all understand my surprise last May when I received this!!! Not sure why Wyoming seems to love me, but I’m growing fond of her as well!

15-May-18
After months of researching and debating when I was going to hunt the unit, I decided to hunt the last two weeks of the season in October which was also the gun season. I had a sheep hunt scheduled in July and a September moose hunt in BC that took up a fair amount of time on my calendar, all of that went into consideration.

Finally, on the morning of October 16th, I see the kids off to school and then finish loading the truck with my camp and hunting gear. Around 9 am, I am ready to begin the 25-26 hour journey West from MI solo.

15-May-18

I forgot to take a pic of the truck loaded up before I left the house, so I just snapped one at one of my fuel stops!
I forgot to take a pic of the truck loaded up before I left the house, so I just snapped one at one of my fuel stops!

15-May-18
Congratulations on the luck!

15-May-18
Looks like a good one unfolding....

15-May-18
Back to May when I drew the tag, I had sent Ron and Jason a text to check in to see if they had hunted the unit before or if they had any other intel on the unit. I was also debating on hiring an outfitter because of my busy fall schedule which wasn’t allowing a scouting trip and knowing I likely will never draw a WY Shiras tag again. Ron had told me that if I went DIY, there is a chance that he could make it over for a portion of the hunt. I didn’t really expect him to take off work to come over but knew it would be a great help if he could make it happen. Not to mention that I’d get to share camp with a fellow Bowsiter!

So, on the 1st day of my drive, Ron texts me “Hey Buddy. I’m there with you until Sunday if it takes that long!” I like the confidence in that text!! So, it looks like my solo hunt has turned into a buddy hunt which will be greatly appreciated when we get one down…

Now back to driving...I drove the first leg to Lexington, Nebraska and picked up 5 hours of sleep with plans to make it to the last town on the grid where I’d meet up with Ron, top off the gas, buy my ORV permit and then head up the mountain to find a camping spot.

I was amazed by the number of shooting stars that I saw while driving thru the night and early mornings. Hoping that is a good sign, because I had the same wish for everyone I saw!!

15-May-18

I love this state!!
I love this state!!

15-May-18

Who the heck stripes the one way road leading to a national forest…
Who the heck stripes the one way road leading to a national forest…
After several more hours of beautiful WY, I meet up with Ron at the gas station. We top off, buy the ORV sticker and head for the mountains. I lead out the main road and Ron followed in his truck.

15-May-18
I made it about 20 minutes towards camp and after seeing several trucks pass by with hunter’s orange on, I realized that I haven’t packed any orange at all…. Not even thinking I’d need orange since I was bowhunting, I stopped and asked Ron quick if I needed it and he confirmed that Yes, I needed orange! Luckily, he had an orange hat in his pack to shoot a coyote on the drive down.

15-May-18

After about an hour drive, we enter the National forest and it looks like some serious moose habitat right off the road.
After about an hour drive, we enter the National forest and it looks like some serious moose habitat right off the road.

15-May-18
We drive up the road passing camper city after camper city until we find a decent camping spot in the general area of where I had good intel on the unit. We pull the trucks into the camp spot and begin the unloading process. I take the lead and Ron jumps in without any direction required. In about an hour and half, Ron mentions that it’s 5:30, let’s go kill a moose! I haven’t got any of my gear out yet, been focusing on camp, but Ron was right, let’s go kill a moose.

I scramble enough gear to get dressed for a short ride/hunt and throw it all in the truck. We take off and head in the opposite direction that we came in, following the road up the mountain. We come to a fork in the road and I recognize a park name on the sign as a good spot I researched before the hunt. So, we turn that way and continue down the road. We drive for several miles thru good elk and moose country looking for moose or tracks in the little bit of remaining snow.

We drive until it is nearly dark and don’t see anything other than a few mule deer does and fawns. As the sun sets, we head back towards camp as we talk about our plan for the morning. Back at camp, we call it a night with a plan to cover a bunch of ground tomorrow to try and find a bull that is worthy of my tag! ??

15-May-18
DAY 1

We wake up around 6 am with a pretty decent frost on the ground, but expect temps to reach the 60’s by afternoon. With most of the gear in the truck from yesterday, we grab a quick oatmeal breakfast and are on our way as day is just breaking.

We don’t make it more than a hundred yards down the road and Ron says moose!! He spots a cow and a calf right off the road down in the willows feeding. We stop to glass the willows, but don’t turn anything else up, so we continue slowly rolling down the road.

We continue the next couple miles slowly driving and looking over the willow chocked river bottom. After a few miles, I spot a moose out in the willows. We stop the truck, and glass up another moose and then another. All told, there are three bull moose within a 75 yard circle. One really small, a second decent and then the third one looks pretty good. They are just milling around in the bottom content to feed on the willows and don’t appear to have any real agenda, so we find a decent parking spot off the road and glass them some more.

I have never had a Shiras tag in my pocket, so seeing them while elk hunting is one thing, but trying to figure out how big they are on the first day with ZERO scouting in this unit has me a bit slow to respond as Ron says he thinks the big bull is a shooter.

Ron began to describe the bull from a scorer’s stand point to give me an idea of his thoughts on it. Also, the night before, I had shown him a pic that BB gave me of a bull he killed after being in the unit for several days. That bull was a solid bull, but appeared smaller than the one we are now looking at.

So, as we are discussing our plan, Ron mentions that he doesn’t want to convince me of going after a bull that I’m not happy with, but based on the info we have at hand, we may have stumbled upon a “good” bull for the unit in the first hour. After a few minutes of thought and thinking about the intel I had, I decided that we were going to try and kill this bull on the first day.

So, we park the truck and pick a couple land marks on the other side to help us keep tabs on the bulls.

15-May-18

This is a view of the willows the bulls are out in. It is about a half mile across and runs for 20+ miles up and down the mountain. Tons of moose habitat in there!!
This is a view of the willows the bulls are out in. It is about a half mile across and runs for 20+ miles up and down the mountain. Tons of moose habitat in there!!

15-May-18
After shedding a few layers, we drop down into the willows and try to find our way towards the bulls. We cross the stream and dodge several deep off shoots while we are trying to quietly move thru the willows. Quietly is almost a joke, because the willows and ground make noise every step we make. While down in the bottom, we notice several trucks stopping to glass the moose and all we both can think of is another tag holder firing a rifle shot and killing the bull before we even get a chance to make a play on them. Truck one stops and leaves, truck two stops and leaves, this goes on every few minutes as we are getting closer. I’d bet, no less than 6 or 7 trucks pulled up and stopped and so far, no rifle shots…

As we are nearing the point we thought we saw them, we try a variety of calls and don’t get any response. We continue ahead, but we are nervous we are making too much noise and have busted them out. We decide to turn around and head back to the creek edge and then ultimately the truck to reglass the bulls. We then decide to climb up the hill behind the truck to get a better perspective on the bulls.

15-May-18

How an 8’ tall animal that weighs 1,000 lbs can disappear in this stuff, I have no idea!
How an 8’ tall animal that weighs 1,000 lbs can disappear in this stuff, I have no idea!

15-May-18

15-May-18
Crazy how they can dissolve into the willows for sure! Off to a great start!

15-May-18
After glassing the bulls for a while and Ron playing around calling them from up here, we decide that we can’t just sit up here and watch them, we want to make another attempt to push thru the willow mess and try to get closer. So, we both drop down from the hill and head back into the river bottom in search of the bulls.

15-May-18

Here are a couple pics that show how thick the willows are in this spot as we attempt to find a clear path to the bulls.
Here are a couple pics that show how thick the willows are in this spot as we attempt to find a clear path to the bulls.
And a shot of the creek we have crossed several times today without gators, since we both left them back at camp today…
And a shot of the creek we have crossed several times today without gators, since we both left them back at camp today…
We make it just about as far as we did the first time with the same results, so we return back to the creek bank again.
We make it just about as far as we did the first time with the same results, so we return back to the creek bank again.

15-May-18
And once again, we climb the bank and find the bulls in the same exact location. Now we both are getting frustrated that we think we are close and are yet so far away… Then we decide that Ron is going to stay at the truck and guide me to the bull with hand signals. I pick out the last tree they were next to and go back into the jungle!

After about 40 minutes of trudging my way to where Ron wants me to go, I can sense that I’m getting really close, but I don’t have any sign of the bulls yet. So, I glass back to Ron with a shoulder shrug wondering where do I go next and he reply’s with the same thing. So, I have to be close or the moose have bedded down and he can’t see them since it’s almost 1pm.

As I turn around from glassing Ron, I can sense that I’m being watched or I heard something, but if you look really close, there is a bull standing in this brush looking at me no more than 20 yards away. He might be closer! Well, OK, I can't find him in this pic either, but I promise he was right there.

15-May-18

How can a 1,000 lb animal disappear!?!?
How can a 1,000 lb animal disappear!?!?

15-May-18
We have a bit of a stare down contest and then they decide they don’t like me too much and move away a bit, but aren’t real spooky. I continue to pursue them thru water that is running over the top of my boots. I start off slow in my pursuit, but then I notice that they aren’t afraid of me, so I get more aggressive every time I bump them. Then I get to a point where I’m within 50 yards and have a little bit of quiet room in front of me to move, so I go back into stealth mode again to let them calm down before I make a final approach.

15-May-18

After they settle down a bit, I start sneaking thru the grass, but I don’t ever have a shot thru the willows as I stay around the 50 yard mark while they are slowly moving. After a bit, I can tell they are going to pop out of the willows on the far side, so I adjust my approach thru the splashing water and try finding a clear path to get around them and maybe get ahead of them. I had that thought to late as the bulls make it to the far side ahead of me and I watch them head up the bank and work their way down the mountain side.

After a bit, I glass back at Ron to see he has a bit of a crowd watching me out here, but I’m really looking to see if I should call the stalk off or continue on. He motions me to continue on, so I work my way out of the willows and up onto the mountain side.

15-May-18

Once, I’m up above the willows, I can relocate the bulls pretty easy from this side, so I use the cover of the adjacent trees to get me down to where the bulls have decided to stop for a break.
Once, I’m up above the willows, I can relocate the bulls pretty easy from this side, so I use the cover of the adjacent trees to get me down to where the bulls have decided to stop for a break.

15-May-18
As I’m working my way down the mountain side, the bulls decide to lay down which allows me the ability to move along pretty quick. Once I’m about 120 yards above them, I look over the willows really well to see if I can make any kind of approach while they are bedded, but I decide that I have no chance to close the gap from here. So, I just sit and wait to see what they are going to do next, while Ron is getting a sun tan on my Quad at the truck!

15-May-18

Surprisingly, the bulls don’t lay there very long and are back up on their feet.
Surprisingly, the bulls don’t lay there very long and are back up on their feet.

15-May-18

I watch the biggest bull move over 30 yards or so and begin to rake a tree. Since he is showing aggression, I sneak down to a pine tree on the edge of the willows and call to him. He immediately looks at me, but won’t come any closer. I call again. Same result, he just sits there and looks in my direction. After several minutes of mixing grunts in, I decide to throw an ornery cow call in the mix, but I get the same result. After watching them work their way out in the middle of the willows with basically no possible approach angle, I decide to let these sit for the last few hours of the day.

So, I drop down to the willows and try to find my way across and after several attempts in different spots, I am forced to circle all the way back down to where I crossed earlier in the morning. The beaver ponds and super thick willows are just crazy in this spot.

After a good hour, I arrive back at the truck where Ron greats me with a water bottle knowing I have to be beat. It was a welcomed sight back at the truck that’s for sure. We spend the next little bit chatting about the encounters and the couple tips that elk hunters have mentioned to him as I was down in the swamp.

We decide that we are going to spend the afternoon driving to look at some areas where an elk hunter had spotted a good bull moose the morning before. We figure that it may be in a more approachable location than this bull is right now.

After spending an hour or so back at camp, we take off and make our way to the mountain road for a bit of road glassing and whatever else comes our way. We slowly work our way up the mountain road and stop an elk hunter coming off the mountain for some general conversation. After a short discussion, he tells us he saw a good bull moose on the top of this mountain and gives us the same general area that we received a tip from the other elk hunter. Sounds like great intel for the morning!!

We continue our way up the mountain until we reach a point where the truck won’t really make it much further due to the burnt trees, so we turn around and work our way off the mountain in the dark. Didn’t see anything tonight, but we have a good plan for the morning.

15-May-18
Day 2

We awake around 6 am to the sound of horses and trucks heading down the main road to elk hunting grounds above us. It’s a bit frosty again this morning, but we are up and moving. I spend a bit more time getting a few things together (like my gators) this morning and we do a quick oatmeal breakfast again. Our plan is to take the two quads down the main road, check on the bull from yesterday and if he’s still hanging tight in the thick willows, we are going to head up the drainage that we got tips on yesterday.

For some reason, time gets by both of us and we are a bit late getting rolling this morning, but it’s just after day break and we are heading down the main road. We glass the same cow from yesterday right at camp, but keep heading down the road. Thank goodness for the insulation layers this morning, the ride on the quads was a bit on the chilly side, but a few miles down the road, we stop to check on the bulls. It doesn’t take long glassing and I spot two bulls out in the willows. One is the small one and the other is a bit bigger, but can’t tell for sure. While I’m glassing, Ron was having electrical issues with his quad, so he’s been working on it. He discovered that the ground wire is loose and it’s not allowing the electric shift to work properly. So, we spend a few minutes working on it when the elk hunter we met in a Razor pulls up and mentions that he has been trying to find us all morning. He says there was a big bull down the road right out in front of some campers.

While Ron finishes getting his quad fixed, the Razor and I head down the road for a closer look at the bull. I get to the camp site maybe a mile or so upstream from where we were yesterday. The bull was within 40 yards of the campers this morning, but we can’t find him in the willows right away. Then, Ron pulls up and he decides he’s going for higher ground for a better view while I watch from below. After about 15 minutes, Ron yells that the bull is further upstream and on the move. We jump on the quads and head another mile down the road until we catch up with the bull which is cruising for cows down in the willows.

It only takes us a few seconds to figure out that this is the same good bull we were on yesterday. We have been calling him the velvet bull since he hasn’t rubbed all of the velvet from his antlers yet. As we are sitting on the edge of the road glassing, another couple trucks pull up. They yell out “We just left your camp looking for you!” They also saw the bull and were trying to find us to help us get on the bull because the bull was one of the bigger bulls they’ve seen elk hunting this unit in 20 years. That’s about the time we told them that the bull was right out there… They wondered why we haven’t killed him yet and then he noticed that I had my bow strapped to the front of the quad. As the bull moved out into a pretty open area, he light heartily offered up his 338 and joked that all I had to do was take two clicks up and at 442 yards that bull would be dead... Ron and I laughed and told him we were going to go out there and get within 42 yards of him and get it done with the bow. Since they weren’t going to see the bull die right there, they all took off to chase some elk after we thanked them for making the effort to find us this morning.

Once they left, we followed the bull upstream a bit more until he settled down with a cow out in the willows. This part of the river looked like it had a bit more open area along with more solid ground that should allow for a better stalk. Once the bull settled down, it didn’t take Ron and I long to peel off a couple layers and get ready for an approach. So around 8:45 am, we are on our 4th or 5th approach of this bull!

15-May-18

I circled the bull in red and drew our approach to the other side in blue. With the wind coming from right to left, we should be good to make the other side and then devise another plan.
I circled the bull in red and drew our approach to the other side in blue. With the wind coming from right to left, we should be good to make the other side and then devise another plan.

15-May-18
We drop down to the river level and make our way across the willows. We both are pretty excited because they are much easier to move thru and have nice open areas scattered throughout that should provide for good stalking with a spotter. After about 15 minutes, we make it out of the other side after bumping only a cow and a calf that went the opposite way. With a slight elevation gain, I spot the bull moving thru the willows a couple hundred yards away. Perfect!!

We work our way up the side of the hill, trying to relocate the bull, but it’s a struggle finding him. After some decent elevation gain and a move upstream, Ron spots the bull all the way on the other side back where we just came from. Figures!! We decide to just sit here and wait him out to see what his plan is. After watching him stand there with a cow for at least a half hour, he decides to turn and head up stream again.

As he moves upstream, we follow along, side hilling as fast as we can. He is leaving us behind, but at least we can reasonably keep him in sight. As he covers another half mile, I am beginning to gain ground on him. It looks like I may even be able to cut him off at an upcoming river crossing where he will expose himself. When I get there, I have second thoughts, but drop down to give it a try. As I approach the bottom to cross the river, I look back towards Ron for some direction. He motions to come back. My second guessing was correct as the bull beat me to the river. These things can really cover some ground!

So, I head back up to Ron and we continue to give chase side hilling. The bull is only a couple hundred yards away at times and he has noticed that something is following him as he stops occasionally and looks back towards us. We try to time our movements with his to keep our cover, but we don’t have much choice other than give chase out in the open.

We work upstream until we reach a point where the bull finds another cow and we don’t waste any time giving chase in the willows while he is slowed down. Ron stays back and spots while I drop my pack and only take my bow and a Head’s Up Moose decoy hoping that I can get close in the broken willow terrain. As I drop to the river, I hear a loud whinny cow call and look back at Ron. He hears it as well, but I continue to head to the bulls last location. I cross the stream a couple times and look back at Ron for directions after a few minutes. He waves his arms that the stalk is over and yells down that he will be down with my pack.

15-May-18
A few minutes later, he arrives to tell me that the bull chased the cow and calf out of the drainage and into the next valley. So, it looks like this morning’s stalk is over and we work our way back to the road to hike the mile or two back to the quads. We make the road by 10:50 am and work our way back to the quads. On the walk, I joke that maybe the best thing for us was to have the bull get out of the willows and maybe he’ll just walk back in front of us. ?? Ron laughs and then jokes that he’d give me a 0.1% chance that the bull crosses right in front of us. I told him I’ll take those odds as I only had a 0.3% chance to draw the tag!!

We don’t make it another 1-200 yards and we spot the bull crossing an open sage hill, a few hundred yards away paralleling the road and heading the same direction we are. So, we pick up the pace to get to the quads so we can get ahead of him.

15-May-18

Once we make it back to the quads, I take a quick panoramic of the bottom we just gave chase in.
Once we make it back to the quads, I take a quick panoramic of the bottom we just gave chase in.
The red line is about where our hike took place.
The red line is about where our hike took place.
We take off on the quads and judging by the terrain, we figure he is going to show himself at the next drainage a mile or so ahead. We make the drainage and wait to see what he is going to do next.
We take off on the quads and judging by the terrain, we figure he is going to show himself at the next drainage a mile or so ahead. We make the drainage and wait to see what he is going to do next.

15-May-18
We aren’t there more than 10 minutes and Ron yells “Grab your bow! Go kill him!” I listen and I’m off trying to get an angle of pursuit that will cut him off before he makes the road. He’s probably 200 yards away and working his way down and around the side of the hill. I’m cruising down the road using the hillside and sage as cover while I am jogging to get to a point ahead of him. I grab my range finder and range him at 74 yards as he is closing the distance, so I head up into the sage and keep walking towards him.

15-May-18

The red line is where the bull is traveling and the blue line is my approximate path to intercept him.
The red line is where the bull is traveling and the blue line is my approximate path to intercept him.
As the bull continues to work his way down the hill, I range him at 50 yards, I’ve already knocked an arrow and I’m waiting for him to come to a point where I can get a shot. Then he stops broadside as I come to full draw. I settle the pin and the shot goes off making contact, but not in the most desirable location... I reload a second arrow as the bull turns to face me still around 50 yards away. I draw again, pick a spot and as I’m pulling thru, I hear Ron yell “Anywhere!!!”, the shot breaks and the arrow hits him perfect as he wheels and heads back and down the hill. As he is retreating, I range him at 90 yards and send another shot just under him as he was walking, so I continue to follow him thru the sage trying to get another arrow in him even though the second shot was clearly fatal.

As he heads over the top of a small rise, I lose sight of him, but Ron has yelled that he is “Bleeding like crazy” as I’m giving chase, so I feel like the bull is dead on his feet. However, as I come up to the rise, I see the bull hurting bad, but still standing on his feet. 45 yards was the readout, so another shot goes off hitting him perfectly right behind the shoulder. Now the bull is heading down to the creek bottom still on his feet with two arrows cleanly thru the boiler room. I only have one arrow left, so I’m a bit cautious of taking another shot in case he does something weird. But I continue following the bull down to the willows and range him one more time at 45 yards while he is slowly moving around. I can’t take him still being on his feet, so I wait till he settles down quartering away and let my final arrow fly! It is another perfect quartering away shot that buries into the far side shoulder. Seconds later, the bull tips over and my pursuit of a Shiras moose has come to an end!

15-May-18

Here’s a pic of the shot locations and the bulls final resting spot.
Here’s a pic of the shot locations and the bulls final resting spot.
The entire time from seeing the bull until the final arrow couldn’t have been more than 90 seconds. It happened really fast to say the least!

After the bull is down, I walk back over to Ron for a round of high fives and hugs. Come to find out, while I was in the process, one of the guys that had given us a tip the day before pulled up the road and watched the entire thing go down with his 12 year old son sitting in the truck with him. They both were pretty geeked about being able to watch the hunt and kill. It’s crazy how fast things can change and come together when you least expect it.

15-May-18

After a few stories, we proceed down to the bull to begin our work.
After a few stories, we proceed down to the bull to begin our work.
And here is how we find him when we arrive.
And here is how we find him when we arrive.

15-May-18

Luckily, we had a few hands to reposition him for some better pics!
Luckily, we had a few hands to reposition him for some better pics!

15-May-18
After the pics, we proceeded to the work part. With the temps pushing 65*, it worked out pretty good that he died right next to the creek and not into one of the big water holes. As we pulled a quarter off of him, I carried it over and dropped it right into this deep ice cold water which we left there until the temps started dropping towards the end of the day.

15-May-18

After all of the meat was in the creek…
After all of the meat was in the creek…
I wrapped up the cape and horns loaded them on my back and hiked the long 150 yards back to the quads…
I wrapped up the cape and horns loaded them on my back and hiked the long 150 yards back to the quads…
Once loaded up, we proceed to head back to camp for a bite to eat and get the head capped out so it could cool down over night and then prepare the antlers for transport back home.
Once loaded up, we proceed to head back to camp for a bite to eat and get the head capped out so it could cool down over night and then prepare the antlers for transport back home.

15-May-18

As the sun begins to set and the weather starts to cool down, we head back over to the kill site to bring the meat back to camp. It’s pretty crazy that we were able to pack out the entire moose in 25
As the sun begins to set and the weather starts to cool down, we head back over to the kill site to bring the meat back to camp. It’s pretty crazy that we were able to pack out the entire moose in 25
On the drive back to camp, we did get to see a few more moose right off the road.
On the drive back to camp, we did get to see a few more moose right off the road.

15-May-18

And it would be completely wrong if we didn’t have tenderloin, potatoes and onions for dinner!

15-May-18
Wonderful story !! Congrats on your success !!

15-May-18
Awesome! Congrats on your moose and on your luck in the draw! Hopefully WY shares some of her bounty with me in the future! Thanks for sharing your story!

15-May-18

I’ve seen many of these pics posted on social media, but I’ve never made an attempt at one, but I like how this one came out!

15-May-18
Great job and story Scott! A big tip of the cap to Ron also. Thanks for sharing. Man that tenderloin looks good. I can almost taste it!

15-May-18
Awesome hunt!

Congratulations on a great moose!

And, you certainly had one heck of a good guide there helping out with you on your hunt!

15-May-18
That was awesome reliving that Scott. Makes me want to do it again. Congrats my friend! Ron

15-May-18
Sounds like a little easier packing job on that moose than my elk, Ron! Scott did a great job getting him close for the pack out for sure!

15-May-18
Tavis, your elk pack sucked. Worst one I ever did!

15-May-18
Thanks a million for sharing; interesting how the elk hunters who knew you were hunting moose were so keen to help...

15-May-18
It was fun reliving it as I posted Ron. My only complaint about the whole trip is we didn't get to hunt together longer. Fun time for sure! Thanks for tagging along!

15-May-18
Outstanding Scott!! I am going to send you a couple of bucks to get you to play the lottery for me!

15-May-18
Great job taking us along on your adventure with words and photos! Kudos to Ron as well! As you stated, unless you’re lucky enough to hunt these beasts, you just can’t appreciate how something so big and black can be completely swallowed up in a sea of willows!

15-May-18
Awesome hunt!! This one is saved to the favorites list :)

15-May-18
Congrats! Great story

15-May-18
Great write-up and great hunt! Congrats on the bull.

15-May-18
Grats Scott! Great recap, thanks.

15-May-18
By the way, bet that ear to ear grin is still pasted on your face! Good job all the way around!

15-May-18
Great account of your hunt! Congrats!!!

15-May-18
AWESOME!!! Thanks for sharing and CONGRATS on the moose!

15-May-18
Wonderful photos and story.

15-May-18
Congrats, great read.

15-May-18
Hell yeah! Congrats Scott! Thanks for the story

15-May-18
Awesome pictures and hunt congrats! Thanks for sharing!

15-May-18
Great job! All those shooting stars must of helped!

15-May-18
Congrats Scott! Great read.

15-May-18
Loved the story....the country looked so much like where I took a Shiras in 2012 or 2013. Your tale brought back many great memories for me...thanks for the well written insight into your world !!

15-May-18
Hells yes. Nice post. Great bull. Huge congrats.

15-May-18
Ok, that will fire me up for my moose tag! Thanks for the inspiration!

16-May-18
Fantastic. Thanks for sharing!

Scott

16-May-18
Good for you Scott

I was wondering how it all played out for ya

Looks like ya had great camp help!!

Thanks for sharing

Good luck, Robb

16-May-18
Awesome and great job on turning down the gun (not that I have a problem with it either way)...It can be real tempting. :)

16-May-18
Great recap and congrats! Thanks for sharing!

16-May-18
That was an enjoyable story. Thank you for sharing and congrats on a great wyo moose hunt.

16-May-18
Congratulations again Scott. Nice bull!!

16-May-18
Awesome on a stick..... or with a stick.... Congrats!

Thanks much for taking us along. Well done on all counts.

17-May-18
I can almost smell that plate full of delicious ! Congratulations !

17-May-18
Great story and pics! Congrats!

17-May-18
Great story, congrats on your Shiras!

18-May-18
Congratulations! I am heading to Wyoming for moose this year. Your story got me more excited than I already was!

21-May-18
Awesome! Great story telling and bull!!!

Mark

23-May-18
Everything has already been said - very nice indeed!

18-Apr-24
Still enjoy virtually reliving your hunt this as I get close to drawing

18-Apr-24
How close? 26 points close?

18-Apr-24
Missed this the first time around! Congrats on a great hunt and a dandy moose! I was lucky enough to draw my WY moose tag in 2021. The only downside to my trip was, I didn’t get to share a camp with Ron. Was very much looking forward to it, but Ron’s back/shoulder issues decided to rear their ugly heads.

18-Apr-24
Don’t know how I missed this the first time around. Congrats and thanks for sharing.

19-Apr-24
Another first round miss here! Congrats on your WY Shiras bull...great hunt and great memories I'm sure!! Very cool you were able to share that hunt with Ron!!!

My Wy Shiras hunt was 2013...very nasty weather, but still very memorable.

• Sitka Gear