The last of the gear being loaded onto the trailer
Tyler's embedded Photo
The last of the gear being loaded onto the trailer
Tyler's embedded Photo
Cruiser with a bit of gear onboard
Tyler's embedded Photo
Cruiser with a bit of gear onboard
Tyler's embedded Photo
Camp for 2 1/2 months all packaged up nice and tight!
Tyler's embedded Photo
Camp for 2 1/2 months all packaged up nice and tight!

Tyler's Link
It’s been a busy couple weeks doing the final preparation for our 2018 buff season down here in Australia, but we are nearly go time!! Trailer is packed land cruiser is serviced and ready for some abuse and tomorrow we hit the road! 3000 km drive to camp, a few days of camp set up, a few days of scouting and first hunters in camp on May 30th. Stay tuned for weekly updates. I only get service once maybe twice per week so I will apologise in advance if I don’t answer questions frequently. it’s gonna be a fun couple months! Hope you all enjoy the ride! Cheers!

22-May-18
I'll be first into your second camp (June 17). Keep the updates coming when you can. Looking forward to a great hunt.....

22-May-18
Good luck this season... looking forward to following along.

22-May-18
Awesome work Tyler! Be safe on the road. We look forward to the updates. Good luck to you!

22-May-18

Bigpizzaman's embedded Photo
Bigpizzaman's embedded Photo
I’m a bit jealous as I’d love to go every year! Best of luck! If anyone is go8ng this year and wants to ask questions hit me up????!!!!

23-May-18
This will be fun to follow!!!!

23-May-18
I’ll be looking forward to the updates!

—Jim

23-May-18
Australia is a Bowhunter 's dream. So many feral targets! I've begun saving my money for a return trip...can't wait for the updates Tyler!

23-May-18
Looking forward to this!!

24-May-18

Tyler's embedded Photo
Tyler's embedded Photo
Nothing too exciting to report. The highlight was a quick visit with Mick this arvo which is always good for a laugh for those of you that know Mick he is a character! Day and a half drive to go still. Took one picture in front of the famous Bowen Mango. They grow the best mangos in Australia!

24-May-18
Looking forward to having you in camp Ken! BPM and Dino are always welcome to return! Had a blast hunting with you blokes! Stay tuned!

24-May-18
I know about 6 people native to Australia. I think 5 of them are named Mick. So maybe I know him? lol

24-May-18
Good luck Tyler, enjoy with the barramundi fishing !!

25-May-18

Tyler's embedded Photo
Mary Kathleen mine
Tyler's embedded Photo
Mary Kathleen mine
Tyler's embedded Photo
The Outback scenery!
Tyler's embedded Photo
The Outback scenery!
Nearly there. 500 km to go. Stopped at Mary Kathleen mine yesterday for a stretch it’s an old ghost town when the shut Uranium mining down in Australia. Only one dead roo off the bumper so far which is good!

25-May-18
Tyler! U r on the wrong side of the road! :)

26-May-18
Tyler, Looks like some nice country. And a road crossing sign of a mini T-Rex to boot. Looking forward to the rest of your thread. Safe hunting.

26-May-18
Isn’t Mick also call Crocodile Dundee? Looking forward to this Tyler keep up the updates!

26-May-18
Good luck and safe travels

29-May-18

Tyler's embedded Photo
Tyler's embedded Photo
Tyler's embedded Photo
The arrival at piggy piggy camp.
Tyler's embedded Photo
The arrival at piggy piggy camp.
Tyler's embedded Photo
Couple of young bulls near camp.
Tyler's embedded Photo
Couple of young bulls near camp.
Well we had a huge wet season up here but the camp sites weathered well. Everything is all set up and ready to go. There is a lot of water around and some big fires have burned throughout the property creating lots of new growth feed for the buff. The combination of the 2 has the buff widely spread so finding the buffalo might be a bit more difficult but they appear to be in smaller groups which will make stalking and killing them much easier. While busy setting up camps we did manage to see about 60 buff in the last 3 days. 5 bulls were definate shooters 90-100 inchers and a few other bulls that were in the mid 80s that most guys won’t pass up! Things are shaping up to be a good week. Lucky for me my girlfriend Kyla and her father Paul joined me on the trip up this year they helped with the camp set up and are spending the week relaxing in camp this week before heading south. We did manage to slip out for a morning fish yesterday and Kyla caught her first barramundi which was great! That’s all to report for now. The fun should start this week! Stay tuned!

31-May-18
The buff hunting sound promising.... Really getting excited. Tie a 100" buff up for me...I'll see you on the 18th...

Ken

02-Jun-18
As if the anticipation for this hunt wasn't enough! Now to see actual pictures of where we will be in just a few short weeks... excitement overload!!! Happy hunting and see you soon.

06-Jun-18

Tyler's embedded Photo
Tyler's embedded Photo
Sorry for the limited updates bou. I only get service when I do changeovers.

Day 1. The boys arrived on the early AM flight and we headed to camp to shoot the bows and gear up for the first afternoon hunt! We spent a short time driving just a KM from camp before finding our first group of buffalo cows calves and a young 3 yr old bull. We watched the group for a bit to see if a bigger bull was around but did not see one. We carried on down the track to find another group of buff about 15 animals with 2 good bulls in amongst them. The hunt was on. We managed to stalk into 40 yardsofthe group and the cows fed to us and bulls fed away. We had a stare down at 25 yards with the cows before the got out of there!

06-Jun-18
Day 2 we left camp and headed to the same area as we had not really hunted it. On the short drive there we spotted a bull that I have a bit of history with. A real straight horn bull that the horns come downward off his head. He is really impressive and really smart. We parked the truck out of sight and tried an approach never to see them again. I don’t have a photo of the bull on my phone but will post one tomorrow from my computer. I also need help with nicknaming this dude!

The evening hunt was good as we got on to a group of about 30 buff with 2 bulls in the mob. One was about an 80 inch heavy but short horn and the other was a better bull estimate in the low 90s but we ran out of light on our approach as the kept feeding away. So we backed out and left them undisturbed.

06-Jun-18
Day 3 is one I won’t soon forget. We entered an area that I know generally holds some good bulls and generally a large population of cows, however I was highly disappointed after walking nearly 2 hours and had not seen a buffalo nor the sign that is normal for this area. We were making our way back to the cruiser when I spotted a couple buff in the scrub feeding and being harassed by a bull I knew from last year. He left me a bit speechless once again as his length of horn and perfect tips worked through the scrub pushing his small group of cows toward the creek where they like to water before bedding. We closed the gap to 80 yards quickly and got in a bit of shade and long grass to observe them and my plan was to shadow them then make a move. Then a young bull pushed into the job of cows and mounted one of them. The big fella did not like that at all and for whatever reason the cows turned 90 degrees and headed directly to us. We hit the deck and Nick nocked an arrow. The big bull fast approached on the left like a bulldozer through the scrub and got up to a trot heading his cows off and posturing aggressively toward the young bull. The big fella trotted past us at 23 yards and then swung hard left offering a very steep quartering away shot. Smack nick arrow hit him about 6 inches behind the shoulder and bounced off the ribs and slid up the armpit of the bull. He knew it was not good and nocked number 2. The bull was unphased by the first shot too worked up by the young bull and cows in heat. The monarch turned a bit more making the angle less steep. Nick put the second shot behind the last rib and buried it to the fletch. The buff took off but the big guy stumbled and walked off. We followed him up keeping him in sight and he bed after 150 yards. We let him lay 40 minutes but he would not give up the ghost so we snuck in and put a perfect 3rd shot in him. He sprung to his feet and I told nick to just drill him again. A 4th well placed heart shot had the bull toppled in seconds. I couldn’t believe my eyes when walking up to this bull. I think the photos will say it all.

06-Jun-18

Tyler's embedded Photo
Tyler's embedded Photo

06-Jun-18

Tyler's embedded Photo
Ben myself and Nick with the giant bull
Tyler's embedded Photo
Ben myself and Nick with the giant bull
I gotta run for now but will finish up the rest of week 1 action in the morning! It will not disappoint!

06-Jun-18

Tyler's embedded Photo
Tyler's embedded Photo
Day 4 morning was a constant battle against the swirling winds between 7-10 AM it was still and the winds were variable. We found a mid 90s bull for Ben to stalk but we were busted at 60 yards. I was getting a bit frustrated and changed the whole morning plan and had Kyla drop us of 3 km from camp to walk the creek back to camp. Within the first km I spotted a respectable 90 inch bull feeding on the opposite side of the river. With the wind finally cooperating and plenty of cover and shade Ben and I closed the gap to 30 yards quickly. The bull opened up his vitals standing refectory broadside and Ben lobbed an arrow across the river straight into the vitals. The bull ran 50 yards and tipped over. We were thrilled to have Bens first bull on the ground!

06-Jun-18
Nice!!!!!

06-Jun-18

Tyler's embedded Photo
Tyler's embedded Photo
Day 5 we sat on a waterhole in the morning and watched about 50 cows and calves slowly filter in then finally a bull showed up but he was not a real big bull and with that many buffalo we backed out late that morning and headed into the hot spring for a swim.

06-Jun-18
Day 6 we headed to some country I had never been to before because we saw a big fresh bull track headed that way the evening before. We had covered a fair bit of ground and spent a bit of time at a water hole with no action. We got to the junction of 2 creeks and the terrain was just awesome for both stalking and for buff especially the green feed in the burnt area a few hundred yards ahead. Just as I finished saying to Ben and Nick that I would love to catch a big bull in here he appeared out of a deep gully 200 yards ahead. We slipped into the creek and worked toward the bull and cows not knowing what size he was. We got into 80 yards slipping past 1 cow and calf and we’re on a major trail leading into the creek bottom when the cows started coming right to us with the bull trailing. The cows got to 10 yards before coming to a halt unsure of what we were. The bull came to the cows and stepped around this tree rubbing his left horn on the tree a couple times before using the tree as a pilon to turn around giving us a perfect 14 yard broadside shot. This bull has a unique shape and I guessed him right at the 100 mark. Ben was happy to upgrade to a bull of this caliber and made an ace shot watching the bull expire 40 yards and 20 seconds later. Bens second bull goes 103 SCI and I’m still in shock to have taken 2 bulls over 100 in the same week!!!

06-Jun-18

Tyler's embedded Photo
Tyler's embedded Photo

06-Jun-18
Awesome! Man Oz is on the bucket list!

06-Jun-18

Tyler's embedded Photo
Tyler's embedded Photo
Tyler's embedded Photo
Tyler's embedded Photo
The final day had us fishing and pig hunting. The fishing has been terrible. Cold temps has turned the bite off. The pig hunting has been tough with all the water around they are not concentrated but the boys managed a boar each both shot under 20 yards!

06-Jun-18
Looking forward to having you both in camp Ken and Ilene! We’re going to have a great time! Not to Far away now!

06-Jun-18
Wow! What a great start to your season Tyler. Job well done. Thanks for posting.

06-Jun-18
So awesome!!! Hey Tyler, maybe for the folks that aren't familiar with Buff's and their scores maybe you could give us a little reflection on what the "average" buff scores, what the records are like. Otherwise a 100" Buff doesn't mean that much to most. If he's equated to let's say a 200" whitetail then we know what we're talking about! Great hunts, keep it up!

06-Jun-18
I’m thinking that big boy would equate to a 200” whitetail... in Alabama!

Maybe a 240” whitetail from up your way, Adam:).

What a stud!

Course, I’m not a whitetail guy so I’ll need it in comparison to a mule deer;)

06-Jun-18
It was a heck of a week. 100 inch buffalo is what everyone is after but not many get. Our average buff score last year was 94 which is really good with archery equipment. We normally get one or 2 bulls per year that crack 100 to get 2 in a week is simply luck right place and time. 112 inch buff is like a 240ish whitetail Treeline had a good guess!

06-Jun-18
Wow,

Great week. Excellent job Tyler & your hunters shot well. Are you moving to a new location next week? Is the hunt that started on June 18 next or do you have additional hunters between now & June 18?

06-Jun-18
Damn this thread is gonna make me spend money....

—jim

06-Jun-18
Yup. U should go. Hunting buff is an awesome experience, plus u run into all kinds of other game there, from pigs, to scrubbers and cats!!!! :)

06-Jun-18
Great bulls and an awesome adventure. Congrats fellas !!!

06-Jun-18
Man this hunt looks amazing. Thanks for the updates and pictures.

07-Jun-18
Did you say cats?? Oh man I have to go!!! Thanks for posting so fun to follow along. Hunt

07-Jun-18
Yup! Cats. As funny as it sounds, the big cat I shot over there was one the trip hi-lights!

17-Jun-18

Tyler's embedded Photo
Tyler's embedded Photo
Thanks for the positive feed back guys! Week 2 was a tough one but a good one!

Evening 1 saw 92 inch bull and 6 cows and calves I decided to pass the bull being the first evening we left them undisturbed and he may become plan B later in the hunt driving back to camp saw a group of 15 buffalo cows from the cruiser. We got out and stalked them but swirling winds ended the stalk when the buff took off I caught a glimpse of what looked to be a giant old broomed shooter bull. We would look for him in the AM.

Day 1. We returned to the area we saw the old broomed bull we covered a lot of country as most of it is burnt and has new growth and makes a prime feeding area. After a couple hours of walking we finally found some buff, about 20 but they were all cows and calves. We were in position to intercept them if there was a bull but no luck. We did have 10 cows and calves under 30 yards at one point which was fun! The evening hunt I decided to do a quick check on a buff carcass from last week looking for a pig or wild dog. We did see a dog but it saw us first. Off in the distance we could hear a scrub bull calling so we thought we’d check him out. He turned out to be a brute! We got into 35 yards but he never presented a shot and he fed out into an open area and became unapproachable. I changed plans and moved to a water hole where we watched about 40 cows and calves visit the water followed by a good bull but with not much shooting light left we backed out.

Day 2 morning we drove down toward the other camp and came across a great bull with a few cows. We passed them parked got the wind right and stalked back to where thy were. Never found them. After a bunch of searching we picked up the track and headed to an area I had never been. 3 miles later we arrived at Black fellow creek and lost the track. Trying to pick up the track again we bumped a small group of pigs. We stopped at 11AM for a snack and had a young bull buff pass by at 60 yards. We followed him but he vanished in the long grass. 10 minutes later we found our buffalo herd but not the way we anticipated they were bedded in long grass in the shade impossible to spot and they jumped up and took off. We walked back to the cruiser after that seeing a pig and small group of buff in the way.

Afternoon hunt we saw more buffalo then we knew what to do with the wind was inconsistent and we saw easily over 100 buff in a small area 4 shooter bulls but just could not make anything happen. Let hope tomorrow is a better day!

Day 3 morning we spotted a great 100 point + bull from the cruiser. We drive well beyond him and worked our way back to never see the bull again. We carried on with my original plan and ended up amongst a mob of 20 cows that came up out of a river bottom face to face with us at 20 yards. Didn’t see a bull. We carried on walking for an hour or so before laying eyes on a wild dog. A speed stalk to intercept him worked a treat! As the dog was passing at 42 yards he spotted us with Al at full draw already the dog got curious and trotted into 28 yards where he copped a 630 grain arrow just below the chin. He made it 20 yards and it was lights out!

Evening we went to an area I had not been this season yet due to access but things are drying up finally. We got part way to where I wanted go but the road became impassable we set off on foot to see 100ish buff that night but the swirling winds beat us every time. We did have one quick stalk on a bull I know from last season a beauty bull with red skin and very wide straight horns about 98 inches. However the non existent wind put an end to that stalk at 50 yards. We would return in the morning

Day 4 morning. Returning to where we were the previous evening we saw 1 nice shooter bull in the drive but gave him a miss as his demeanour wasn’t in favour of a successful stalk. We parked and set off on foot again spotting a young bull right away and then another 10 minutes later. About 45 mins into our walk we rounded a corner in the bottom of a creek to come face to face with a giant bull 105+ incher. He was out about 80 yards and pegged us at the same time we saw him. The morning carried on to be a frustrating one with swirling winds screwing up 2 more stalks on the bright side we saw 3 bulls that I think were in the 100 inch range however they had all bust us.

Afternoon was a quiet one in search of a particular bull that never ended up showing himself.

Day 5 we returned to the area from yesterday morning and as soon as I approached the river a dandy scrub bull appeared feeding at 60 yards on the opposite side. After a short stalk we were in position at 38 yards the bull turned broadside and Al took a shot unfortunately he hit far forward and slightly high and just smacked shoulder. We followed the bull for about a mile and lost him in thick cover. Next to nothing for blood and he would not allow a follow up shot it was a real downer to what has been a tough week of hunting with the extremely high temps and no wind. On the way back to the cruiser we found a huge herd of buff 100 head easily but left them in their beds as there was no way to approach the herd bull with all the eyes. We went for a swim mid day and went to a new area in the evening and found a herd of 30 buff but only 1 bull about 75 inches so we just observed.

Day 6 and 7 were much the same little to no wind and what wind we did have was always swirling. Failed stalk after failed stalk Things we’re starting to get frustrating but at the end of the day it’s bowhunting. We were seeing quality bulls everyday we were just unable to close the gap or just get plain lucky.

Day 8 we woke up to wind as was forecasted on the Inreach. The first bull found was a high 80 class bull unfortunately he spotted us. The next bull a mid 90 class bull was in an unapproachable area in the bottom of a river with escarpment on both sides with swirling winds in the bottom we tried anyway but got busted as expected. 500 yards later we spotted a group of buff and they were feeding to us. Trying to find a bull in the group of animals was tough with the number of bodies constantly moving and the tightly woven paperbark trees not leaving much gap to see what was what. Finally I laid eyes on the herd bull. He was in the middle of the mix and headed to us. Cows started to pass us at 30-50 yards the bull was approaching and entered a shooting lane at 35 yards but walked right through offering no shot and moved out to 46 yards. The buffalo all seemed to stop moving and feed for a minute. We were unable to move with 60 sets of eyes under 100 yards. They started moving again I changed position by 10 yards and the bull cleared the scrub. Al came to full draw and the bull stopped but behind scrub at 32 yards. No shot when all of a sudden he jumps up and mounts a cow perfectly broadside as Al settled his pins the cow took off and the bull was back on all fours. He took a couple steps and stopped. Al cut one loose and drilled him however his arrow only got about 16 inches of penetration. The bull was hit well but likely only single lung. He staggered and ran out to 68 yards I told Al to fling another. With his 40 yard pin 2 feet over the bulls back the arrow dropped in perfect and buried right to the fletch. He ran 40 yards up into a rocky ridge and fell over in sight! To hunt as hard as we did in the toughest conditions I had faced buffalo hunting this bull was special!

Thankfully Al had booked a few extra days as typically 6 day hunts are ample time to get a bull. Our last couple days we sorta relaxed a bit we did some pig hunting and a bit of exploring. Al took 2 great boars to top his trip off perfectly!

Until next week!

17-Jun-18

Tyler's embedded Photo
Als 96 inch bull with 3 inches broke off the one side. A good mature bull
Tyler's embedded Photo
Als 96 inch bull with 3 inches broke off the one side. A good mature bull
Tyler's embedded Photo
First boar.
Tyler's embedded Photo
First boar.
Tyler's embedded Photo
Old gnarly boar
Tyler's embedded Photo
Old gnarly boar

17-Jun-18

Tyler's embedded Photo
Tyler's embedded Photo
C5Ken and I are off to camp now! will post again next week. I have some great video and trail cam footage to post next week hope you all are enjoying this thread!

17-Jun-18
Thanks! Keep it coming! I remember that Red Bull!

17-Jun-18
Man that sounds awesome!!! Aka most like caribou migration numbers for buffalo! So cool

18-Jun-18
Nice sweepers on dem bulls and the hogs are much thicker bodied that I would have guessed. Must be some good forage for them too.

18-Jun-18
Wow! If I wasn’t nervous before.... now I really am! Thanks for the updates, sounds like you guys worked your tails off. Congratulations on a hard fought battle and beautiful trophies for the results!!! See you soon.

18-Jun-18
Ilene! U r going to love Australia! The flight definitely requires some type of medication, but the hunting and people r second to none!!! Thanks for the updates Tyler! Awesome job.

19-Jun-18
Man you are Lucky! Can’t wait for the recap! Can tell from Tyler’s updates that you are going to have an adventure of a lifetime with an awesome guide! Good luck!

24-Jun-18
Thanks guys we had another great week seeing plenty of game and some real giants too. I’m going to leave Ken to do the update for last week. New client in tomorrow evening shooting a recurve!

26-Jun-18
Come on Ken!!! Anxiously awaiting the update from your hunt, excited to hear how you did!

04-Jul-18
Oops I’m still in Australia traveling around the country with my wife. I leave for home in five days. I’ll put together a write up of my week with Tyler hunting buffs and pigs when I get home. Stay tuned......

04-Jul-18
Looking forward to it! When do u leave Ilene?

05-Jul-18
You’re kill’n me Ken!!! LoL Dino I leave the 11th, fly into camp on the 16th!

05-Jul-18
Looking forward to the recap, Ken!

11-Jul-18

c5ken's embedded Photo
Four man tent with lots of room. (attempting to add additional photos but keep getting "unexpected error contact administrator" I'll try again tomorrow....
c5ken's embedded Photo
Four man tent with lots of room. (attempting to add additional photos but keep getting "unexpected error contact administrator" I'll try again tomorrow....
Got home yesterday, trying to recover from jet-lag. A little background prior to getting to my hunt. I contacted Tyler back in Aug of 2017 to book a 2018 hunt. At that time, I just came back from South Africa where I bow hunted Cape Buffalo. I hunted SA with a Mathews Halon 32/6 set at 65lbs. The arrows I used were Easton FMJ-DG with a Bishop 315gr two bld broad head. Total arrow weight was 965gr. I got 25" of penetration on my cape buff so I wanted to use the same setup for water buffs. After returning from SA I started to develop shoulder pain when shooting my 65lb bow. Long story short... My biceps tendon was torn away for the bone. I had surgery to repair the problem & started PT. After several weeks of PT I got the ok from my Dr & physical therapist to start shooting.. I started out at 50 lbs & slowly worked my way to 57lbs. Then everything went to hell... I experienced sever pain in my shoulder & could hardly pick up my bow let-alone shoot it. A MRI showed severe arthritis & I have bone on bone. The shoulder has to be replaced. There was not enough time to have the replacement & be able to bow hunt in July '18. So, I had two choices.. cancel the hunt or hunt with a crossbow. I contacted Tyler to see if he would take me with a cross-bow & if it was legal. Tyler was ok with cross-bow hunting and he contacted the Australian border force and a B709B form "importation of weapons certification" was issued in my name so I could bring my bow into the country. I shot a few whitetails around the house with a cross-bow but never did any serious hunting with one. So after numerous practice sessions with my cross-bow it was grouping out to 50 yards. The arrows I was shooting weighed 661gr and the bow shot them at 260fps.

I left for Australia on July 15th & was picked up by Tyler a few days later at Mcarthur river mine airport. A two hour drive to camp & we were ready to hunt that afternoon. Tyler has all of the bugs worked out of a tent came. I slept in a 4-man tent with lots of room for my stuff. The camp has a hot shower, kitchen, refrigerator (keeps beer really cold) & frezzer.

11-Jul-18

12-Jul-18

c5ken's embedded Photo
Worked Great...
c5ken's embedded Photo
Worked Great...
c5ken's embedded Photo
Kitchen & Cook...
c5ken's embedded Photo
Kitchen & Cook...

12-Jul-18

c5ken's embedded Photo
Sorry about the photos. Everything is coming in sideways & the edit tool doesn't work.
c5ken's embedded Photo
Sorry about the photos. Everything is coming in sideways & the edit tool doesn't work.
After getting unpacked & verifying my equipment was on, we headed out for our first afternoon hunt. Not long after leaving camp we got into about a 90" plus bull. We just about got into range when he busted us... Game over We also saw a scrub bull & passed on him.

12-Jul-18

c5ken's embedded Photo
Tyler up a tree looking for bulls. He did this numerous times during my hunt.
c5ken's embedded Photo
Tyler up a tree looking for bulls. He did this numerous times during my hunt.
The next two days were basically the same. We would get up about 5:30am & either walk or drive out of came looking for bulls. On the morning of 6/20 we got into a bull about 85", a scrub bull & a large pig. We passed on the bulls & the pig never gave us a shot opportunity. Later that morning we were hunting a floodplain & Tyler climbed a tree to look for game. He spotted a bull that was a shooter & the stalk was on. The bull was laying down about 300/400 yards away with one tree between the bull & us. Tyler was able to get us within 30 yards of the bull. He told me to get ready when the bull saw us & stood up. He was facing us & we were going for a frontal shot. Things started to move fast at this time & I remember taking aim & let it fly. I shot before Tyler gave the OK- not a good idea.. The arrow hit very high & the bull ran about 50/60 yards, stopped, looked back at us with the arrow sticking out of him. Tyler thought the hit may kill the bull so he took off on a run, rifle in hand. He was able to get within 130 yards & shot. He believes he hit him in the chest... The bull ran off. Tyler wanted to give the bull some time so we backed out & came back several hours later. Picked up the track & tracked him for several hours. We never found the bull & only found one small drop of blood. This situation is all on me. I had a slam-dunk shot at 30 yards & screwed it up.. There is NO excuse for this. Im so upset with my self for screwing this up.

12-Jul-18

c5ken's embedded Photo
This thing was a brute. Not user what it weighted but we had trouble moving it around.
c5ken's embedded Photo
This thing was a brute. Not user what it weighted but we had trouble moving it around.
The next morning we didn't find any bulls so we went pig hunting. This was a new experience for me. We were hunting pigs in a swamp that consisted of about 6/8" of water on top of gray sticky mud that wants to pull your boots off. Tyler spotted a big pig laying down. He was able to get us to 33 yards & told me to take the shot. There was two small trees about 6/8" apart on the pigs kill zone. I had to put the arrow between the trees to hit the vitals. The hit looked good & the pig went about 100 yards before going down.

12-Jul-18

c5ken's embedded Photo
c5ken's embedded Photo

12-Jul-18

c5ken's embedded Photo
This is a picture of the swamp where the pigs hang out. About 6/8" of water on top of several inches of gray mud. We had to walk through this stuff to get to the pigs. Great experience.
c5ken's embedded Photo
This is a picture of the swamp where the pigs hang out. About 6/8" of water on top of several inches of gray mud. We had to walk through this stuff to get to the pigs. Great experience.
Had a situation the following day that I will never forget. We were walking through a dried up flood plain looking for buffs. Tyler was about five yards ahead of me a little to my right. The ground was dried up black mud that had 2/3" cracks that occur when the sun dries up the water. I saw something movement about 10 feet in front of me and to Tylers left. I yelled out &^%$#%^^ snake. The snake was looking at me but when Tyler moved it focused on him. (Guess it wanted younger meat) It actually was going after Tyler. Tyler did some really fancy foot work getting out of harms way, picked up a stick & tossed it at the snake. The snake decided it didn't want any stick action & got out of Dodge. The snake was a Tai-Pan. This is the most deadly snake in the world. However, they are not very aggressive . Nonetheless, this thing was no joke.

12-Jul-18
Such an awesome adventure. Thanks for sharing.

12-Jul-18

c5ken's embedded Photo
c5ken's embedded Photo
The following afternoon we were driving through an area that Tyler hasn't hunted in a while. We spotted 4 bulls & one was a shooter. We attempted to stalk the bulls but the wind was wrong. We went back to the truck & went after the bulls from a different direction. We paralleled the bulls but couldn't get in front of them. It was getting dark & the bulls were about 80 yards in front of us. Tyler told me to get down & ready. He was going to call the bulls in. (I didn't think this was doable). As the bulls fed away from us, he started grunting. The bulls stoped, looked in our direction & started coming to us. Tyler continued to grunt & the bulls came in.. The largest of the bunch appeared to be more aggressive & came within 28yrds. When the bull was facing us I got the OK to shoot. When the arrow hit we heard a loud crack... not good. Appeared the arrow either hit the leg bone or went between the leg and chest. He ran about 50 yards & stood watching us. I thought Tyler may shoot him with his rifle but he said the shot didn't appear to hurt the bull & he didn't want to kill it with with a gun. So, to date, I had two bulls at 30 yards or less & screwed up both shots. I'm so disappointed in my self that I just wanted to stop hunting. As you guys know, hunting gives us the highest of highs & the lowest of lows... Screwing up two easy shots is my all time lowest of lows. I can believe I came all this way & was not able to get the job done.

When I booked the hunt, we had an agreement that if I shot a bull, I would be able to hunt a 2nd bull. I drew blood on two bulls so I'm done... Tyler & I discussed alternatives & decided that I would hunt a cow water buff. We drove around looking for cows & decided to hunt pigs again. Back at the swamp, Tyler spotted a pig feeding towards us. We did our swamp walk & got within 28 yards of the pig. When it quarter away, I shot & the hit was perfect. The pig stumbled around & headed off into the muck. By this time it was almost dark & we decided it was not a good idea to go after it in the dark swamp.

Tyler has the hunting rights on the 1,000,000 aboriginal land we were hunting. Another guy has leased the rights to capture wild cattle that roam the same land. This agreement appears to work out well for both. Tyler was notified by the cattle guy that an old bull with a nasty disposition has taken up residence near his homestead & was causing some concern. The bull has charged the ranchers truck & appears to be very aggressive towards people. Tyler asked me if I would be interested in hunting the old nasty bull. I jumped at the opportunity. However, because of my poor shooting track record & disposition of the old bull, the rancher & Tyler would back me up with rifles.. We went to the area where the bull was known to hang-out & looked for him. When we spotted the bull & tried to close the distance he got very aggressive. He would run back & forth & rake the bush. No-one wanted to get out of the trucks. We finally got into a position where I could get within 53 yards of the bull. He was quarrying slightly towards me but the angle looked ok. As stated above, backing me up was Tyler with his 30-06 & the rancher with a 300 win mag. So, at 53 yards I took the shot. I didn't see the arrow hit but the rancher said you hit him. Shortly after the arrow hit the 300 & 30-06 boomed. The bull ran about 80 yards & went down. Tyler did an autopsy on the bull & I got a pass-through. It was a double lung hit. We found the arrow covered with little bubbles... The bull was an old skinny critter with busted up horns with a bad attitude... So, at the end of the day, I'm very disappointed in my performance. I had shot opportunity's at two pigs & three bulls... screwing up the two shooter bulls Tyler put in my lap. All in all I had a great time. Tyler is an outstanding outfitter that will put game well within bow range. If water buffalo is on your bucket list, IronBark outfitters will get it done.

12-Jul-18

c5ken's embedded Photo
Note the arrow exit hole at the bottom of cape
c5ken's embedded Photo
Note the arrow exit hole at the bottom of cape

12-Jul-18

c5ken's embedded Photo
c5ken's embedded Photo
c5ken's embedded Photo
c5ken's embedded Photo
c5ken's embedded Photo
c5ken's embedded Photo
On the way out of camp - back to civilization we ran across a Black Headed Python

12-Jul-18
Please feel free to contact me if you have questions regarding a water buff hunt with Tyler Chubb (IronBark Outfitters)

12-Jul-18
Thanks for the review. I’m tentatively planning to do that next year. Appreciate you sharing your low points too. I’m sure there are a lot more similar stories than are openly shared on BS. Looks like a great trip excluding the little hiccups.

—jim

12-Jul-18
Awesome thread. Thanks for taking us along!! Congrats

12-Jul-18
Whew!!......When I saw the photo of Tyler holding a snake, I briefly thought that he had picked up the Tai-pan, and I thought he was nuts.....then I saw the caption stating that it was a black headed python....

12-Jul-18
Great recap. I want to do this hunt one day. Thanks for sharing. Hunt

13-Jul-18
Thanks for the honest review of the hunt Ken. Either way it sounds like an outstanding experience. Enjoying the wildlife in Australia, seeing and getting shots at target animal as well as bonus animals. I know you are disappointed with yourself, but that will fade. If you would have been shooting your compound you would have aced those shots ;) Happy for you that you got to take that all in, and you obviously have a great attitude.

13-Jul-18
Thanks guys for the nice comments....

15-Jul-18
Great recap Ken and it was a pleasure to have you in camp hopefully get you back over here with that compound in hand!

15-Jul-18

Tyler's embedded Photo
Stalked this bull when he was bedded to 25 yards unfortunately he busted us and then never gave the right shot angle
Tyler's embedded Photo
Stalked this bull when he was bedded to 25 yards unfortunately he busted us and then never gave the right shot angle
Week 4 I got a bit slack with my nightly entries. My recurve hunter from Hawaii had an overall good trip with 3 shot opportunities one bull jumped string and the arrow struck shoulder and just bounced back out. He elected to try shooting a cow buffalo and hit one what looked to be a good high lung shot with 2/3 arrow penetration however she took the arrow like a champ and I spotted her 2 hours later with the rest of the herd seemed unphased. And on the second last day he hit a real nice bull too far forward in the neck area I shot with the rifle 3 times but the bull never slowed down. unfortunately no buff were recovered. We had multiple other stalks and got inside 30 yards several other times on great bulls but they offered no good shot opportunities. He was also here on a shorter hunt then my typical 6 day hunt which made things extra tough but we sure had fun and I learnt a lot about recurve shooting which was cool!

15-Jul-18

Tyler's embedded Photo
Gerry with a mid 90s bull
Tyler's embedded Photo
Gerry with a mid 90s bull
Tyler's embedded Photo
Joe with his last day last light 90 inch bull
Tyler's embedded Photo
Joe with his last day last light 90 inch bull
Tyler's embedded Photo
Gerry also took a young pig we bumped into looking for buff
Tyler's embedded Photo
Gerry also took a young pig we bumped into looking for buff
Week5 I had a TV crew here Joe Thomas and camera man Gerry Addison. What an awesome week filled with great stalks all caught on camera well not all. In the 6 day hunt I put the guys on 14 shooter bulls under 35 yards. On day 5 it finally came together as we stalked a bedded bull to 26 yards and I had Gerry arrow him perfectly in his bed for a short 150 yard recovery. Unfortunately Joe not being a cameraman missed the shot on video. He was not a happy camper. However It sucked the result was a 94 inch bull on the ground so we couldn’t be happier. We pushed it right to the end on day 6 and I still can’t believe it came together but with fading light I found our last stalkable bull with a half dozen cows. The cows moved away from the bull and he just hung out feeding. We closed the gap to 80 yards setup between him and his cows he angle slightly away from us and we ran out of cover. I got joe to position himself 20 yards in front of me and Gerry then I started to flag the bull to get his curiosity started. It worked a treat as I brought the bull into 25 yards from joe offering him a great frontal shot and he nailed him all on film with about 5-10 minutes of camera light left. the bull expired just out of sight in a bit of scrub about 120 yards away from the shot

15-Jul-18

Tyler's embedded Photo
Tyler's embedded Photo
Tyler's embedded Photo
36 inch Barra. Thanks to Joes lucky lure!
Tyler's embedded Photo
36 inch Barra. Thanks to Joes lucky lure!
I also have to Add that Joe was a professional fisherman for 30 years and it showed! This year has been terrible fishing up until the pro showed up. With some new lures and tactics we are into the barramundi now! With Joe catching 5 in his week here and I’m up to 3 now it’s been good having some fish for dinner!

26-Jul-18

Tyler's embedded Photo
Tyler's embedded Photo
Week6 day 1 Neil was exhausted so was I from the previous week we elected to take the first evening off and just fished a bit with no luck.

Day 2 morning went to a normal good producing area of mine and found a large group of cows and calves but no herd bull. We covered several miles and found another group of buff in some country I had never been to before it yielded a nice bull be he was a short horned bull needing a couple more years as he was only about 4yr old. Evening we covered a few miles and found one smaller bull 85ish with a couple cows then finally the bull we were looking for a single bull that looked to score in the low 100s. He was standing in the middle of the floodplain facing us so we waited to see what he did. Well he bedded in that position. We closed the gap to the nearest tree 130 yards from the bull and elected to wait him out as we now had no wind. Well he out waited us. He may have even died this bull just fell asleep it got dark and we walked back to the cruiser.

Day 3 I went to an area I like to hunt its tough to get to and tougher to get animals out of as its foot access only. Dino’s brother shot his big cow buff up there last year. We had a long uneventful walk up there then finally found a lone bull standing in the wide open. We watched him for an hour then he started to move. We mirrored his movement until finally he stopped to feed after about half a mile. We had great cover and shadows and quickly closed the gap to 26 yards for a perfect broadside shot. The hit was low but with the tall grass I did not see the exact impact nor did Neil. The bull ran out to 50 yards and turned to face us for about 10 seconds. The bull indicated no real reaction of a fatal shot Neil and I with the uncertainty and knowing it was very low we decided to shoot him with the gun. I took him in the front of the chest right between the 2 white V’s on the chest and he expired 80 yards later. I did an autopsy and found the arrow centred the heart. Rifle shot not needed but with uncertainty and Neil not wanting to risk loosing the buff we played it safe. The result was good we had a respectable high 80s bull on the ground!

Evening plan was to go to a swamp so Neil would have an idea as to what pig hunting is like on the property even though he had no interest in personally shooting a pig and told me he would not get his feet wet for a pig I took him anyways. Well we only made it about half ways and spotted another giant bull. 105ish. The wind was fickle and we tried to close the gap on the bull but at about 60 yards it was all over when he got a slight whiff while the wind had done a subtle shift in direction. He moved off but not too spooked. We did not make it to the swamp instead we watched a floodplain the buff cross to head to the swamp and we saw 1 decent bull cross but with poor wind conditions and crunch ground underfoot we didn’t get very far on him.

Day4 we spotted a good bull from the truck we got the wind right and made Our approach only to get busted I sent Neil into the bottom of the creek 10yards to my left and started to flag the bull he came past Neil at 14 yards but with Neil down so low the vitals were obstructed as well as the rising sun right in his line of sight. Not a great situation but it was a fun encounter with a mid 90 class bull. We carried on. With my original plan right away a low 90 inch bull was spotted but he had got a sniff of us and was on edge. We didn’t even try to make a play on him. Off in the distance stood another great looking bull we made our approach and closed the gap to 3-400 yards and sat on the bull for a bit over 2 hours waiting for a steady wind to start. The bull was bedded broadside and I couldn’t judge his horns real well but by the looks of his body he was a mature animal and that’s all Neil wanted was a mature buff. size of horns were not of concern. Once the wind started we positioned ourselves in the creek about 150 yards from the bull ready to intercept and the waiting game continued!

30 mins later the bull rose to his feet facing us and I could now tell this was a very nice bull I estimated him at 101-102. I didn’t tell Neil that just said he was a shooter. The bull stood there for ages then slowly started to make his way to the creek we had to back track using the creek to cover our movement. We nearly intercepted the bull when he just stopped and bedded 52 yards away. We waited another 20 minutes ticked by and he got to his feet and started to angle towards us appearing he would cross the creek about 30 yards from our position. As he got to the creek edge he stopped 40 some yards away he stood there scanning the area around him for 20 minutes then he bedded again in a small depression with one large tree and some brush covering his body had we not seen him bed there you would never see this bull. With his head on the ground in the depression it was a perfect stalk scenario lots of cover good steady wind the only downside was all the scrub obstructing his body. We made our move slowly and quietly down the creek and into this small drainage to 18 yards of the bull bedded broadside but offering no shot. We would wait till he stood but even then a shot would be tough with all the obstruction. After about 30 minutes cooking in the sun the bull got up his vitals covered by the large tree the bull circled 180 degrees and rubbed his horns on the tree his vitals now covered by the scrub. The bull took a half step forward and there was a tiny window in the scrub which also had one baseball sized brown leaf amongst all the green that leaf happened to line up exactly where I wanted Neil to put the arrow. Neil couldn’t make out the body position or the crease behind the shoulder due to all the shadows. I told him to shoot the brown leaf and he said ok I’ll take your word for it!!! He drew took his time and released his 800 grain arrow out of his 65 pound Matthews blitzed through the brown leaf like it wasn’t even there!! And came to a hault on impact with the buff the shot placement was a perfect high lung but the penetration was good but not great the arrow stopped about an inch before the wrap. The bull merely flinched but became very alert swinging his head around trying to detect movement. Neil nocked another arrow and asked if he should shoot again. I said no because in this situation the last thing I wanted to do was spook the bull getting to full draw the bull then trotted out to 78 yards and stopped out in the wide open. He stood there for 10 minutes. he was hit hard I figured it was a 1 lung hit and that Neil had hit a rib and that’s why the penetration was lacking. He slowly made his way back to the creek having no idea what just happened we followed him and got to the last tree between us and him 57 yards away. It’s a long shot with a heavy arrow but you won’t kill em if you don’t shoot. The bull was quartering away Neil lobbed one short at the bulls feet the bull did not react. Neil adjusted and sent another unfortunately it was 2 inches to the right of where we wanted it and it buried into the shoulder. It was still a good shot in my books! The bull didn’t even flinch then a minute later he got aggressive and busted up a tree and spun around a couple times to see what hit him then he walked out into the open again. He spent about an hour and a half out there with no cover for a safe approach we waited. While waiting we found the arrow that missed so we were back to 2 in the quiver. The bull now got some life back in him and headed back to our creek again and moving fast. We tried to cut him off but couldn’t keep the pace. I caught a glimpse of the bull as he crossed the creek bottom and headed into a small drainage. We got up on the creek bank and approached the drainage. He had stopped in some shade we closed the gap to 30 yards and he moved up the bank to 36 yards quartering away. Neil was now a bit rattled it was 2pm hot thirsty and hungry he did his best to keep his composure the arrow hit the bull but far forward in the neck immediately I saw blood flowing out heavily he had got lucky and hit the jugular the bull collapsed right there and expired seconds later.

Although it was not an ideal 1 shot kill it was a true grit bowhunt and it was great to have this tank on the ground! Neil was very pleased with his bull and so he should be with a score of 100 3/8 he is a dandy old bull!

26-Jul-18

Tyler's embedded Photo
Tyler's embedded Photo

27-Jul-18
Wow! That sounds like some great hunts! Thank you for taking us along on them. Congratulations to all!

27-Jul-18
What a great thread! Congrats on some great animals! What a great hunt this would be.

27-Jul-18
Flipping awesome?!?!

So just for interests sake so we can judge vs these size you are mentioning - what would be let's say the Australia archery record on these buffs?

27-Jul-18
Sounds like they are unbelievably tough critters!! Id be interested in seeing the size of the rib bones.

27-Jul-18
Thanks Fuzz and Beav glad you have enjoyed following in my tracks! Still got one more week to post up!

27-Jul-18

Tyler's Link
Adam I’ll give you a bit of run down. Two different score systems the SCI system which is a length and circumference of each horn no deductions archery rankings for gold medal is 97 silver is 92 and bronze is 72. Rifle gold medal is 102. I don’t know what the SCI current archery record is I believe you need to be a member to access the records maybe someone could find out and share.

The main system used for scoring game animals in Australia is the Douglas system similar to a Net B&C or P&Y score it factors in the differences per side. Now a lot of you might think all buffalo look pretty even well it’s not the case. Even the ones that you can see are not broken and look perfectly even normally have 2 inches difference between the sides.

The record book down under that most bow hunters use is called trophy takers or the ABA. The record archery buffalo was 108 4/8 DP taken in 2012 in trophy takers and 108 2/8 in the ABA this was taken in 1987 however at 110 4/8 DP Nick Peterson is now the record holder for trophy takers and once officially claimed with the ABA he will hold that record as well beating a record that’s over 30 years old! Which is very exciting for both Nick and I!

I have attached a link to trophy takers and will repost a photo of the giant week 1 bull. With a link to the ABA website as well

27-Jul-18

Tyler's embedded Photo
Tyler's embedded Photo
Tyler's embedded Photo
Tyler's embedded Photo
Tyler's embedded Photo
Tyler's embedded Photo

Tyler's Link

27-Jul-18

Tyler's embedded Photo
Tyler's embedded Photo
Tyler's embedded Photo
Tyler's embedded Photo
Tyler's embedded Photo
Tyler's embedded Photo
Tyler's embedded Photo
Tyler's embedded Photo
Grubby to say they are tough is an under statement. I will attach a photo of a rib bone they are very wide as well as thick unfortunately I don’t have thickness pics but they would be in the 1/2 to 5/8 inch thick range in the mid body and up range and slightly thinner down low. I will add some photos of arrows where the broadheads hit ribs horizontally so a guy can see how drastically it decreases penetration compared to if the broadhead were to hit vertically and split the rib.

27-Jul-18

Tyler's embedded Photo
Tyler's embedded Photo
Tyler's embedded Photo
Tyler's embedded Photo
Tyler's embedded Photo
Tyler's embedded Photo
Upon boiling out Neil’s buff we discovered an old injury the bull had smashed in his skull at some point and it had rehealed to some extent. The force it would take to punch a hole that large in the skull is quite Amazing! To survive such impact is even more incredible!

28-Jul-18

c5ken's embedded Photo
c5ken's embedded Photo
Attached is a couple of pics from the old bull that Tyler & I shot a few weeks ago. The heart is literally the size of a soccer ball & the ribs are super tough to penatrate. Tyler has tons of experience killing buff's with archery equipment. If you plan to go on this hunt, ask Tyler for a recommendation regard broad heads, arrows, etc. You will not be disappointed...

28-Jul-18

c5ken's embedded Photo
c5ken's embedded Photo

29-Jul-18
Great info Tyler! Those ribs are impressive!

10-Aug-18
Day 1 half day. with Ilene we headed out from camp with poor conditions little to no wind for the first afternoon hunt. Just up the road we found a nice bull in a wallow with him rolling in the mid we were able to stalk in the cruchy conditions and get into the last bit of cover 42 yards from the bull. From here we had to wait to see if he would move our direction for a shot. He detected something came a bit closer but offered no shot. It was a good start to the hunt!

Day1 morning. Went across the main river to an area I had not hunted this season and wow were there buffalo there at least 100 buffalo were out on the flood plain cool to see but more or less impossible to hunt. Buff started to move off and we found a good bull with a smaller group of cows 10-15 animals problem was we had no wind. Late in the morning the wind started but the buffalo went to a tough spot to approach nearly 1pm at this time I said to heck with it let’s just take a crack at closing in on them. It was a long shot but sometimes you get lucky. We did not get lucky. Got to about 60 yards and it was all over.

The evening hunt we went to an area that doesn’t normally hold a lot of buffalo but normally a shooter bull or 2 can be found. We walked about a mile and a half and I started to see some fresh sign. I followed the sign with the wind mostly in our favour. About a mile later the sign was taking us to the river as we approached the river I spotted some bedded cows. We watched the group for 10 minutes from a distance of 80 yards when the wind shifted and they took off. It was all cows and calves about 20-30 head. We continued on to find a scrub bull which Ilene was not interested in hunting. I was looking at the scrub bull when I noticed a nice buffalo bull on the move about a half mile behind the scrubber. We moved around and past the scrubber trying to intercept the cruising buff. With him on a steady pace and light fading fast I decided to try and call the lone bull in with Ilene in position I started to call. The bull came on a string right to 25-35 yards he kept pacing and staring at me in the long grass trying to decide what I was and what to do. Ilene was at full draw trying to wait for the right shot angle finally the bull decided he had enough and as he exited he paused at 30 yards quartering away. Ilene let fly but the shot was way right of where it needed to be hitting the bull in the neck he took off not offering me a shot with the rifle and disappeared into the river. I marked that spot and would return in the morning.

Day 2 morning was spent looking for the bull from the night before we found blood and trailed it for about 600 yards and the trail dried up we continued to hunt the direction the bull was headed hoping for a miracle to bump into him again however it was not to be.

That evening we headed to a large burnt area that provides lots of green feed for the buff. We found plenty but only one mature bull with a few cows. On the approach the wind had totally died and we got busted shortly after with the crunchy conditions and no wind.

Day3 morning we headed to an escarpment that has several springs that run out of it. it is normally a good area to find buffalo moving from the flood plains to get a drink and bed down for the day. It didn’t take long to find buffalo unfortunately it was just too many. We tried and tried to make something happen but couldn’t catch a break when all of a sudden a wild dog started harassing some buffalo cows and calves about 100 yards in front of us. One cow in particular was not happy about this and put her head down and charged the dog right towards us. I told Ilene to knock one we were in good cover the wind was good and with the dog appearing to be on the hunt and feeling deflated after being run off by a cow I figured I might call him in a few mouth squeaks and he was on his way over 30,25,20,16 whap Ilene drilled him frontal he made a short dash and it was all over. All the buffalo seemed to stare in amazement as to what just happened to the dog. We gave the buffalo a bit of time to see what might happen but it was more like pushing $h1t uphill so we took some photos and called it a morning.

Day 3 evening we headed to the same spot we had killed the 103 inch bull from week 1 we found a few cows before we got to the creek where the buff normally hang out as we approached the creek I spotted some buffalo. The whole scenario was exactly the same as week 1. As I looked at the bull he appeared to be a son to the one we had killed with a real tight curl but lots of length and mass. I estimated him right on the 100 inch mark just lacking a bit of mass compared to the week 1 bull. the cows were in front of us and the bull and a few more cows approached from our left they were going to travel 25 yards or less in front of us. Everything was perfect but a cow picked up a slight bit of movement and blew the whole setup. It was a bummer. We continued hunting and found several cows and young bulls before heading back to camp.

Day4 morning we headed to an area I had not been to this season on the drive in we started to see several buff bulls and cows in groups. When passing one shooter bull and his few cows they seemed unphased by the cruiser so the plan was to drive past and hunt back with the wind being in our favour. We stalked down a dry creek towards the buff and located the bull and his hot cow. A short while later she fed into the creek we were in but the bull surprised me and did not follow he turned back and disappeared. We waited for 30 minutes for him to return but he never did. I decided to head in the direction I had last seen him. About a half mile from where I had last seen him Ilene spotted the buff ahead and across the creek to our left. The light breeze we had was in our favour and the creek offered great cover. The bull and 4 cows were grazing and unaware of our presence. We dropped into the creek followed it up and came up at a likely spot I felt the bull might return back to the hot cow he had left earlier. The buff fed in front of us for about 20 minutes at a distance of 80-120 yards, then the bull started our way. The distance became very short very fast unfortunately the angle was not right and when the bull paralleled us at 22 yards he got a sniff of us and spooked across a small drainage Ilene drew at this point the bull stopped at 35 yards broadside and she released. The arrow flew well but hit a bit high and penetration was severely lacking the bull stopped at 60 yards or so and I shot him in the heart with the rifle. He ran and stopped so I gave him another followed by a couple more just to ground him sooner. He was a great mature bull with a bit worn off one side scoring about 90SCI. Once photos were done I removed the backstraps for dinner and a front shoulder to see what the arrow had hit. Ilene had just clipped the top of one lung and the broadhead was lodged into the spine. It was likely a fatal shot but the bull would have taken quite some time to expire.

The next few days were spent boiling the skull, swimming in the hot spring, fishing for barramundi, catching crocodiles, viewing venomous snakes, pig/wild dog hunting and eating as much food as we could so I wouldn’t have to take it all back to Queensland with me. It was a great way to end the season!

10-Aug-18

Tyler's embedded Photo
Tyler's embedded Photo
Tyler's embedded Photo
Tyler's embedded Photo
Tyler's embedded Photo
Tyler's embedded Photo

10-Aug-18

Tyler's embedded Photo
Tyler's embedded Photo
Tyler's embedded Photo
Buffghetti!!!
Tyler's embedded Photo
Buffghetti!!!
Tyler's embedded Photo
Taco salad
Tyler's embedded Photo
Taco salad
Buffalo meat is very tough but very tasty. I grind up fresh buff in camp for everyone to try

10-Aug-18
I’m booked for next June. Game on!

—jim

12-Aug-18
I enjoyed seeing and reading about your adventures.

12-Aug-18
Thanks again Tyler for posting these exciting hunts! Sounds like a great adventure!

14-Aug-18

lucky2hunt's embedded Photo
Field full of buffalo
Field full of buffalo
Stare down
Stare down
Many up-close encounters
Many up-close encounters
Hey guys! Just wanted to jump on here and say what a fantastic time my husband and I had hunting with Ironbark Outfitters and Tyler Chubb. Thanks for the write-up Tyler, it was fun reading about my own hunt, my days blurred together so I'm glad you took notes!

If you are on the fence about doing this hunt... Just jump! It's an action-filled week with countless stalks, adrenaline pumping up-close encounters, beautiful country, and a perfect backcountry camp. Tyler works his tail off from the moment he picks you up at the airport, the camp is rustic but extremely comfortable with all needs met including hot showers!!! The food is fantastic, we had everything from leg of lamb, huge steaks, delicious corned beef, and more... I can't say enough about the buffalo meat, extremely delicious!

Hunting, fishing, mucking through swamps, swimming, waterfalls, crocodiles, unbelievable birdlife and unimaginable adventure! That's what you get with this hunt, I can't thank Tyler enough for helping to make a hunt/trip of a lifetime! (I'm trying to post some pics but having a problem, I'll keep trying)

14-Aug-18

15-Aug-18
Thanks for the kind words Ilene. it was a pleasure having you and Roger in camp! Thanks to all that followed along on my season glad you guys enjoyed it and hopefully see some of you in camp in the future. Looking forward to your 2019 hunt Jim!

15-Aug-18
Man this hunt looks amazing, thanks for the updates Tyler.

16-Aug-18
I’m already on the countdown for next season! These buff are an awesome animal to bowhunt!

16-Aug-18
What an adventure this looks like an outstanding hunt.

19-Aug-18
If any of you guys/gals have Water Buffalo on your bucket-list, Iron-Bark outfitters is the place to go. You will experience one of the best bow hunts of your life....

08-Dec-18

Tyler's embedded Photo
Tyler's embedded Photo
Tyler's embedded Photo
Tyler's embedded Photo
Tyler's embedded Photo
Tyler's embedded Photo
Tyler's embedded Photo
Tyler's embedded Photo
Well I just got back to Australia after finishing up my Canadian guiding season and it's official that the bull from this year is the new Australian archery record. The girlfriend picked up the bowhunting downunder magazine with the article in it written by Nick the hunter.

08-Dec-18

Tyler's embedded Photo
Tyler's embedded Photo

09-Dec-18
Congrats Mate! Job well done Tyler! Hunting Asiatic buff in the outback is a superlative experience. Such cool critters and country.

13-Dec-18
Cheers Dean!

13-Dec-18
Awesome bud, that’s super cool to be the outfitter of any fair chase WR to say the least

14-Dec-18
Way to go Tyler!

• Sitka Gear