Trial153 23-May-18
smarba 23-May-18
Trial153 23-May-18
Shaft 24-May-18
altitude sick 24-May-18
tobinsghost 25-May-18
huntabsarokee 25-May-18
23-May-18
I am thinking that I want to purchase the Garmin inreach Explorer + but I have a few questions before I take the plunge. 1- I understand the subscription plans offered and would be getting the freedom plan because really I only need the messaging and SOS system available during July-Sept but in other months I would still like to use the gps unit for some other activities. Will it work as a hand held unit to find/create waypoints and on screen tracking like a regular gps unit does while having a suspended or inactive subscription? I ask because I have seen 2 forums where Garmin Rep's have said that the GPS would still work if it didn't have a subscription but that all of the other features would of course be turned off. Anyone experiment with this? What parts of the gps work and what parts don't while the account is suspended? All I am looking for is some basic waypoint input to the unit and then navigation operations to do some geocaching. Do these features still function without the subscription? 3- When you suspend your account so that you don't get charged for the next month, does any of that time roll over to subsequent months or is it effective from the time you suspend your account or does it go to the end of your billing cycle? Can you set your account to be automatically suspended at a certain time or do you just have to remember to get online and manually do it before getting billed for the next months subscription?

I guess what I am getting at is that if the gps side of this unit only works with a subscription then I may be better off getting the new inreach mini they have come out with and then carry my phone and use the blutooth and app for the gps functions and then in the other months use a separate handheld gps unit for messing around when I don't need all of those other features active. If the GPS can function independently then Explorer + if not, maybe just the inreach mini.

What say you who already have experience?

I would just as soon buy only one unit that can do it all so I am hoping that the GPS part of this can work as a stand alone. I don't need a complicated one, just one that would mark a few waypoints or help me do some simple geocaching.

23-May-18
I too would like to know if works without a subscription. Also does it have topo maps of northern canada?

23-May-18
I have used the InReach and its predecessors for a while for texting purposes but not much for GPS functions. I think my unit (the older yellow one) lacks a "Go To" function for navigation. Make sure your InReach can do the GPS functions that you need before you need it.

23-May-18
I have been using the inReach explorer for 2 years on the Freedom Safety Plan, which is affordable and I only use it in areas I have no cell coverage (primarily for texting/SOS). From my experience, the time does not roll over. I.e. if you book for 30 days from May 1 to May 31, and cancel on May 15, you're going to get the original 30 days you signed up for (May 1-May 31). To suspend my account at a specific time, I emailed their customer service to have it automatically turned off at a certain date and they took care of it (multiple times I would forget to suspend service and pay for an extra month that I didn't need).

Part of this may be user error, but when I mark a way point on the GPS, it does not seem to tie with the actual location. This can be difficult in dark timber. Now I use the OnX app for GPS, marking way points and related features, works much better and easy to use interface. If you have cell service where you hunt, OnX is the way to go - you can even download the maps for an area where there is no cell reception. I'm not sure if the GPS/Location Tracking works while you have no service with OnX.

23-May-18
I dont suspend my account as Ive never been good at predicting emergencies and I carry the unit in my truck.

Any changes in your plan - turn off/on - preset messages - etc - you still need to sync the unit on your computer.

I pair my unit with the Earthmate app on my phone for the best gps capabilities

23-May-18
I just bought one so can’t answer the questions, but I bought mine online at Cabela’s for 200.00. It’s the delorme model but looks like it works the same and is a lot cheaper.

23-May-18
I've not tried GPS during suspended service because the screen is pathetic and I already use Garmin Oregon GPS for all my navigation. I'll check my Delorme at home since it's currently suspended to see if the navigation works.

The 30-day activation is for calendar days and if you suspend at day 20 it just triggers that the activation will be shut off on day 30. No rollover. But if you know you want it April 15-May 14 you can activate on April 15, suspend immediately or the next day and it will stay activated for the month (not calendar month, but based on actual activation date) and automatically suspend. I either set a reminder in my email to suspend or I just suspend immediately if I know I only want it to be in service for 30 days.

23-May-18
Guys, he is asking about the GARMIN inreach, not the delorme. 2 different beasts. Similar function. Gps does not work on the delorme without a subscription.

23-May-18
I had the Delorm version and now I have the Garmin version. Probably will pick up the mini as well shortly.

Yes, positively the unit will work as a gps without your subscription active. That said there are several plans for very minimal amounts so really there isn’t a reason to not have a subscription whenever your using the unit. After all a busted ankle or heart attack isn’t limited to hunting. The GPS, Earthmate app paired together is pretty decent and has enough functionality to satisfy most GPS users. Considering that this unit primary function is communication I can’t complain at all.

The month to month plans are just that month to month. 30 day intervals starting when you activate it. You pay for the month regardless of when you deactivate it. Let them know the actual activation date and they can place your plan on hold so you don’t roll over to another month. Month to month unlimited is you best bet if your married ...though I can make a case for the yearly subscription. The website and login is simple and intuitive to make any changes to your account.

23-May-18
Thx caribou: I glossed over the GARMIN part. Sort of confusing that Garmin kept the Inreach Explorer part of the Delorme unit name.

23-May-18
Thank you so much for your help and knowledge. It has helped me to make a decision. It looks like the Garmin explorer + for me.

23-May-18
There on sale at S&S Archery....300 with free shipping

23-May-18
Trial: I see $374 at S&S, which is a darn good price. How are you seeing $300?

23-May-18
I am sorry I miss read Robs post on the sale they have , it was 75 off of bringing it to 379. I think shipping is free as well...

24-May-18
You can buy straight from the Garmin website for $374. I was hoping to find a father's day special going on somewhere. I'm in no rush. I can't really use it until July but from then until the end of September, I certainly will. Thanks again guys for all of your help.

24-May-18
Just synced mine to my phone using Earthmate app. Man what a breeze to text using my iPhone Thru the app.

25-May-18
Will you ever be able to use OnyxMaps on these units?

25-May-18
Unless there was a change from last year no onyx maps on the Inreach. The maps that come with it are pretty decent and I spent the extra think $20 to buy Garmin's "hunter" maps. It works way better for me than the onyx system on a phone. I use my PC from my Garmin account to do my online scouting. Can switch from topo to google earth type images. I drop way points on these maps to mark roads, water, feed, etc and then just sync to the hand held unit. Save these map layers to my phone as well. I did find 1 gated road that was added by a water authority that was not on the Garmin maps but is on my Onyx map for my GPS. Other than that not a lot of difference in the topos.

• Sitka Gear