stealthycat 01-Apr-24
mountainman 01-Apr-24
DonVathome 05-Apr-24
Mule Power 05-Apr-24
Nyati 05-Apr-24
deerhunter72 08-Apr-24
25-Mar-24

StickFlicker's Link
At any given time there seem to be a lot of Bowsite members that are dreaming of or planning a trip to Africa. For those planning to go, or that go regularly, why don’t more people easily earn the frequent flyer miles needed through credit card spend programs and just fly for free? I’ve flown my last 5 trips to Africa for free, as do my friends, and all my other inside the U.S. travel as well. It’s just incredibly easy if you have credit that is good enough to qualify for a new credit card. Is it because you think it’s more complicated to buy a ticket with points than money, or you think you would be on some sort of standby or something? I can assure you, it’s easy to book, it’s the exact same ticket you’d buy with cash, and you often get to board the plane sooner than those that paid cash and have better access to overhead luggage storage. Delta points never expire, so it’s best to earn them asap now since congress is trying to pass legislation that may do away with these programs. If you don't eventually go to Africa, their still good for any other place that Delta flies.

I like Delta for its direct flight to South Africa, typically about the shortest flight out there. AMEX has an exclusive on earning Delta SkyMiles, so one of their personal or business Delta cards would be the best way to earn the miles needed. My 2021 flight cost 81,500 miles, 98,000 in 2022, and a little higher than that in 2023 (all trips flying peak travel season) as international flight demands increase. The number of miles it takes varies on time of year, day of week etc., and can change daily just like cash tickets depending on demand for any particular flight. You just have to be patient and wait for the price to eventually be a good deal. You can also mix points/cash if you don’t have enough miles to buy the flight outright with miles. Right now, they have their best ever offer for new applicants, 70,000 miles for a Gold card or 90,000 for a Platinum card, but it ends on Wednesday (3/27) so you’d need to apply soon. They will charge a (relatively) small amount for an annual fee, but it’s incredibly worth it to get a $2,200 ticket for free! I will get a few points if you apply using this link, but I really just like helping people afford their dream trips! I’m happy to answer questions about the process if you have them, but it’s all pretty simple. Only two more days to apply if you're interested, before this offer is cut in half to their regular offer. Towards the top of the screen you can click "personal cards" or business cards" to see other offers, some that are significantly lower fees but earn a few fewer miles when you signup.

25-Mar-24
Sounds like a decent deal. Thanks for the heads up.

If I sign up through your link will you gift me 1/2 the free miles you get for me signing up?

25-Mar-24
no free lunch

25-Mar-24
Or free miles with lunch?? :)

25-Mar-24
Pay your balance off each month and no finance charge. Plenty of cards have no annual fee, that's a plus also. So yes, if you're responsible there is a free lunch or flights.

25-Mar-24
Quinn, if it would let me I would! The fee for transferring points to a non-relative is prohibitive. But, after you're a cardholder, you can refer your spouse to the card and get the full referral bonus, and I believe pool the points between spouses. Would allow you to qualify for a free ticket very quickly! I always pay off my cards in full each month, and don't buy anything I wouldn't buy anyway. So yes, I would say it's absolutely a free lunch. If you don't spend that much money on credit cards, just start putting everything on the card each month and you'd be surprised how quickly you meet the spend requirement (and you have 6 months to do it anyway!). You can also prepay bills you're going to have to pay anyway, gas, electric, cell phones, internet, etc. to meet the spend more quickly. I just go in and pay an estimated amount for the next 4 months or so of each of these things, so I can reach the spend quickly and get the points.

25-Mar-24
Sorry, I wasn't aware there were fees to transfer Sky Miles points to someone with Delta.

26-Mar-24
how much do you have to charge to build up 100,000 miles ?

26-Mar-24
The wife got into cards and points recently. In less than a year she had enough points to pay for round trip tickets and half our hotel costs for a trip to NYC. We never carry credit card debt, pay off every month. The term for that is "deadbeat". I didn't know that it might go away. I didn't read the article, what's the rational (cliff notes) to do away with these programs?

26-Mar-24
We always fly united, it's really our only option. We have a capital one card that banks "miles" that re really points We then use those points to offset travel expenses. We get 2% to 3% of our dollar usage as points. It adds up quick.

26-Mar-24
I've flown to Jo-berg (either Business or First,) using Alaska Airlines mileage miles the last 5 trips. It's the ONLY way to go!

The price is right and it's a relief for the tall/fat man to have plenty of leg room!

Pete

26-Mar-24

StickFlicker's embedded Photo
Stealthycat, if you were to obtain the Delta Platinum card (the link in the first post above will take you to their website to apply), you would receive at least 94,000 points after spending only $4,000 within the first 6 months of obtaining the card. Most purchases pay one point per dollar spent, but restaurant and groceries pay 2X and hotels and Delta purchases pay 3X. So, realistically, you could easily reach 100,000 points by spending as little as $7,000, on things that you were going to spend anyway. Two of my last three round trip South Africa flights were purchased for less than 100,000 Delta miles, although the average cost year over year is probably about 120,000 I've found. This year, for whatever reason, is a more expensive year, but it really varies from year to year (and month to month depending on what time of year you want to go, because of demand). Having the Delta AMEX card also provides you with a 15% discount off the regular number of miles it takes to purchase a flight, you only pay the taxes (usually about $58 for almost all the flights I've taken). The prices potentially change daily, depending on demand for any particular day, just like the cash prices do. I just keep an eye on them until they're at a good price then buy them. If they fall lower later, you can just cancel your flight at no charge and re-book them (or sometimes you can call in and they'll do it for you). There is no cost to cancel or change a flight, or your seats, at any time, you just pay the current price. I already had a search in my Delta account, monitoring for a two-week trip in late August through early September (very dry time of year, great for bowhunting water), and these were the prices yesterday when I looked and saved this screenshot. Those in green are the direct (shortest) flight through Atlanta. These particular prices are round-trip from Phoenix to Johannesburg, so depending on which city you begin in it could be more or less as well. If you live in or near Atlanta, it would definitely be less than these prices because it's only one segment instead of two.

26-Mar-24
Marvin,

I went ahead and signed up using your link. I was looking for another credit card with good perks and we’re starting to plan for Africa in 2025 so it made sense.

26-Mar-24
I've never done Africa...but do use Alaska Airlines Miles for the vast majority of my flights.

26-Mar-24
I’m going to Europe next month first class free using miles.

26-Mar-24
Have been using CC points for hunting flights for years. This year though they seam unusually high. Looking to book for newfoundland in October and prices are almost double what I spent to go to NZ last year

26-Mar-24
Quinn, congratulations on joining the "fly (relatively) free" club! I didn't mention the many other benefits that come with the card, but I assume you saw them. One of the biggest is that they give you a "friend flies free" companion pass each year that can be used for a second person flying for just the price of the taxes with a paid fare. Unfortunately, it can't currently be used to go to Africa, but recently they did add some international locations to the list of places that you can use it to travel (was previously continental U.S.). Feel free to contact me through PM if you have any questions or want pointers about building points with the card, or if you have any questions about traveling or hunting in Africa. As I said, I really like helping people get to go there.

26-Mar-24
g5, I agree that flight costs are higher than normal this year. Glad I chose this year to not plan a trip to Africa. I'm hoping they settle back down by next year. I've gone three of the last four years, so just taking a break to do other things this year but expect to put a group together and go again next year.

27-Mar-24
My patience is wearing thin with Alaska Airlines decline over the past 3-4 years. I recently got the delta platinum card for my business and if my experience doesn’t change over the next year (been using delta and Alaska equally the past two years) I’ll be switching my personal card to delta as well. Living in Alaska flying is a necessity of life. Delta matched most of the perks Alaska previously was unique on but offer more reliable service the past few years from my experience. Two free bags for Alaska residents, companion fare for a free flight each year, and seemingly better mileage exchange rates when comparing to cash fares than Alaska Airlines.

27-Mar-24
"We never carry credit card debt, pay off every month. The term for that is "deadbeat"."

Actually, the term for that is those who pay for your "free" points and kickbacks. However, that is how I operate too. ;) As Fuzzy states "no free lunch". Somebody always has to pay.

It sure seems like miles points might be a better deal than cash kickbacks if one flies a lot. I've flown twice in my life, though, so cash is king for me.

27-Mar-24
Love the Delta card. I used to have the NW Airlines card and fly to Alaska each year for free on that. That was 20-25 years ago. When they became part of Delta we switched (or the card switched) to a Delta Am Ex.. just booked free flights for my son and I to Edmonton to start our sheep hunt journey this July.

Convincing the wife to get away from her Amazon card was the ticket to paradise. Amazing how much women can spend! She now carries one of our Delta cards and we’ve stacked up more miles over the years than I thought possible.

Get the wife on board and you’ll be surprised!

27-Mar-24

StickFlicker's Link
If anyone is contemplating taking advantage of the (nearly double the normal offer) Delta credit card sign-up offer to earn a huge 94,000 point jumpstart toward a free Africa flight (or anywhere else Delta flies), the increased offer ends today and returns to the normal offer of only 50,000 points. Remember, Delta points never expire, and even if you cancel the card at a future date your retain all earned points in your Delta account until you spend them. Here are some of the many other benefits of the card, in addition to the points you'll earn toward free flights. You can enroll at the link:

27-Mar-24
Sickflicker I charge $3-6,000 a month

I'm going to have to look into that - I'd love Africa in 2025

01-Apr-24
I drug my feet

The Delta Platinum card I see on-line is a $350 a year fee to have it ?

The Delta SkyMiles® Platinum American Express Card Annual Fee $350¤

?‡†Offer & Benefit Terms¤Rates & Fees Apply Now

01-Apr-24
I liked my AMEX delta card, but I just cancelled it because they doubled the annual fee.

I still have the chase sapphire preferred.

Stick is absolutely right. If you use these types of card wisely, the benefits are great. The wife and I flew to Argentina for a hunt using miles. I flew to a New Zealand hunt using miles. Several thousand dollars worth of flights we have covered with miles earned with the Sapphire. I pay a 95 a year fee . It pays for itself in one trip by giving me rental car insurance and really good trip cancellation/interruption insurance(which I have used).

05-Apr-24
Citi card 2x cash back earns more money for each dollar you spend than anything I have found. You'll get to a free ticket roughly two times quicker cuz you get about twice as much free style you spend versus most other cards and cards that give you miles

05-Apr-24
I can’t imagine how many Alaska Air I have. a A whole lot. I just saw last year that they fly to Hawaii and learned recently that they fly around the Caribbean as well. I think I’m going to burn some miles to fly to Cancun at some point later this year. But as of yet, I have never used any of my miles.

05-Apr-24
I don’t fly that much anymore since I retired. I usually drive to hunts except I did fly to AK twice last 3 years. Hunted in Africa 3 times and don’t plan on going back. I’ll just stick with my 2% cash back card with no fees and use the money to pay for gas.

I used to like to fly but HATE it now. Got having clothes or gun/bow when u get to where you’re going got old. I enjoy driving across the country . And makes getting antlers/horns and meat back home easier. But it does work better when u r retired

08-Apr-24
I know this stuff works, but these credit cards are always looking for ways to add fees. I was just dealing with Discover this morning because they charged me interest on “purchases” even though I don’t use the card much and always pay off the balance. The mistake I made was that a few months ago I thought I’d take advantage of a 0% 12 month balance transfer. I didn’t read the fine print close enough to realize that you get charged interest for purchases unless you pay the entire balance off each month, meaning that even the 0% balance transfer counts towards your interest charge. Seems like a bait and switch to me. These credit card companies are in business to make money just like every other business so I don’t begrudge them, however I don’t like that they use shifty practices to do it. It’s a fact that people spend more money using credit cards over cash and they make enough money off people who don’t pay their balance off every month to offer some of these crazy mileage points. In my opinion it’s just a case of buyer be aware that you are playing with a snake.

• Sitka Gear