Zbone 05-Apr-24
DonVathome 06-Apr-24
Nyati 06-Apr-24
Bake 06-Apr-24
Nyati 06-Apr-24
wildwilderness 07-Apr-24
05-Apr-24

standswittaknife's Link
Send em to Germany! Anyone reading about this?

05-Apr-24
It's been in the news for several days.

05-Apr-24
didn't say it hadn't... duh

05-Apr-24
Nice!!!! First I heard of it. But, I don’t watch or check the news much. Didn’t read anymore then the headline and photo script.

05-Apr-24
Great article. So much truth in it. Applies to all ballot box game management geniuses

05-Apr-24
Got the idea from Gov. Abbott

05-Apr-24
You know the antis are really racists. They are essentially saying that these African black-run countries are not capable of determining their own game management. How do they get away with such a racist viewpoint?

05-Apr-24
Boom bake!!!!

05-Apr-24
I was in Botswana’s Chobe Park in 2010 and there was way, way too many elephants then.

They should start a GoFundMe for the elephants and elephant lovers. When the funds and hay runs out, the guns come out.

05-Apr-24
Lots of elephants in the news recently from the bull rocking the safari truck last week and another bull killing a 79-year old American tourist on safari in Zambia last Saturday... Must be the elephant rut (musth)...

With 130,000 elephants in Botswana alone and only 400 allowed for trophy quota and with 415,000 elephants in Africa I would think it's time to lighten up the hunting restrictions...

06-Apr-24
Most people I talk to have no idea there are places where elephants need to be hunted because of over population. They also have no idea elephants hate people and if they smell you will try to find you and stop you into oblivion.

I read that it is good to see that kind of info, rare these days.

06-Apr-24
My wife shot at a kudu and spooked a herd of elephants we didn’t know was there. We had to run to get out of the way. I tripped over a log and hit my knee on a rock breaking my patella but was able to get up and keep going and got out of the way. Had a 2 inch cut. Washed it out real good, put some bourbon on it then taped it closed with duct tape. Took keflex that I had taken with me for a week. 3 weeks later after I had got back home it was still hurting and got an X-ray at work and saw that patella was broken and crushed in on the side. I’m lucky it didn’t get infected.

Then one night in a leopard blind a herd of elephants fed by. Sitting in a brush blind at night with elephants so close u could feel the vibration when they walked and then breaking branches and knocking over trees , while hoping they don’t wind you, and knowing there is absolutely nothing u can do except sit still was an intense hour. Just kept thinking how painful it would be to get stepped on by an elephant but figured the pain wouldn’t last long

06-Apr-24
Treeman sent me this thread and said here’s my chance to be a bowsite elephant expert ;). Jerk

I am NOT an elephant expert. However, I have been infatuated with elephants and hunting them for many many years. I have made a real effort to educate myself about elephants, management, hunting, etc. I expect many will get tired of hearing it, but I was fortunate to realize my dream in 2023 and I spent 25 days in Botswana. 15 of those were chasing elephant. 4 more for leopard and then the rest spent on a game ranch west of the Central Kalahari game reserve (I believe that’s a national park)

I learned more in 15 days about elephant and hunting than I had in 20+ years reading about it. I had two very knowledgeable native Botswana PHs. One of them ranches near the game ranch and the kalahar game reserve.

The 130,000 population estimate for Botswana elephants is an old number. And some people think it’s closer to 200,000. They have the room and the habitat to support maybe 80,000 elephants.

They take 300 or so sport hunted elephants a year. Maybe another couple hundred in depredation/conflict situations. Poaching of elephants is well controlled (for now, with the hunting operators in the areas)

People do not realize the amount of money and effort that the hunting operators put into their areas. The area I hunted was 2+ million acres. The operator just signed the lease for this area the month before my hunt. In that month he purchased 3 private properties in this area and drilled two wells and set up solar pumps to provide water for wildlife. Many thousands of dollars invested into this one area. All of their areas are like that. Without them, the animals wouldn’t have these water sources. This is the same story all across Botswana. The operators have a presence in the areas, which deters poaching, and they sink money into these areas. Areas that are not good for photo-tourism due to terrain and vegetation.

People also don’t realize how destructive elephants are. They tear up trees and push over trees and then eat one little branch and move on. If the solar pumps quit, elephants will dig up water lines and tear up pump equipment.

African people live with these highly destructive, possibly dangerous animals. And the “developed” world wants to tell them how they can be managed?! It’s elitism, passive colonialism, and as I said above, racist.

People think Africa is one big national park. Yet 90+ percent of Americans and Europeans too I bet, couldn’t point out Botswana on an unlabeled map. People don’t understand the human population explosion in Africa and its effect on game areas.

It’s just plain old misguided, uneducated, elitism to assume that any western or European nation should tell an African country how to manage their game.

My .02

06-Apr-24
It’s amazing how destructive elephants are. When a big herd feeds thru they just knock the trees over to get the vegetation at top. Saw hundreds and hundreds ov acres that looked like a row of bulldozers just went thru

07-Apr-24
Yes they need to manage them Like any other game. Good for Botswana standing for their rights to hunt

08-Apr-24
Well written Bake. We need to use the language of the liberal left.

They are all Racists for telling Africans how to manage their wildlife populations.

Botswana should post billboards in Europe that they are racists.

Show poor black families Maze field stomped by elephants. A seasons work and a years food wiped out in one night. Or show elephants have destroyed much of Kruger park from over population

If hunters did not put a value on elephants the locals would poison all the water holes.

I head to Zimbabwe in May for my first elephant hunt. My wife will hunt Leopard and Buffalo

• Sitka Gear