CaptMike 17-Apr-24
drycreek 17-Apr-24
Rgiesey 17-Apr-24
kentuckbowhnter 17-Apr-24
Corax_latrans 17-Apr-24
WV Mountaineer 17-Apr-24
16-Apr-24

Jaquomo's Link
And we're going to have a "national conversation" about wolves to help FWS develop policy. What a joke.

16-Apr-24
Seems like we probably should had that talk 35 years ago.

16-Apr-24
This will be like listening to Bidens press secretary.

16-Apr-24
Typical government wasting taxpayer funds.

16-Apr-24
Something needs to happen to hurl us back to 1985...

16-Apr-24
No need to worry boys ,,she's a quarterback.

17-Apr-24
I'm sure I will be corrected if wrong but how can this be a bad thing really? I realize that this is crazy money spent but to this point who have we had on the side of the conservationist to really carry a voice? At least this gets us to the table? The wolf was introduced with the "promise" of state control in a reasonable time frame or when wolves were considered established.. The anti's had zero intention of seeing this through and got way out ahead in the courts to see to it that wolf population grew out of control with no end in sight after 20 plus years... I mean am I skeptical... Of course but I have said it before on this site I know what ground zero looks like with an over population of wolves and wouldn't mind seeing this problem in check... And if that has to be some sort of middle ground well I'm listening..

17-Apr-24
I’m inclined to agree with CB — Mediation SHOULD mean that there’s recognition of the requirement for balance. And the article did offer some hope along those lines, unless the mediator(s) is/are sold out to one side or the other already.

I don’t expect most hunters to back having a wolf population because it can’t NOT affect big game herds, but we’re not the only people who care about what animals are out there. So better to have a resource dedicated to finding the middle ground.

17-Apr-24
"I don’t expect most hunters to back having a wolf population because it can’t NOT affect big game herds, but we’re not the only people who care about what animals are out there. So better to have a resource dedicated to finding the middle ground." I am not sure there will be any "middle ground" found when the large majority of people in the country do not live near nor have any wolf related interactions.

17-Apr-24
It’s OK guys, she was a Peace Corps volunteer ! Insert rolleyes emoji HERE !

17-Apr-24
Don’t believe in middle ground with animal rights activists involved.

17-Apr-24
If the mediator can get the wolves to stop eating elk I am for it.

17-Apr-24
“I am not sure there will be any ‘middle ground’ found when the large majority of people in the country do not live near nor have any wolf related interactions.”

JMO, you really ought to give people more credit than that; people who are not actively Anti-hunting are generally willing to listen to Reason. And if a Mediator is what’s needed to keep things fact/science based, it sure beats the hell out of a ballot-box measure. Because how well are those working out for everybody???

As far as the Peace Corps is concerned… No, on its own it is not a qualification; but Military service wouldn’t be, either. Either way, it does tell you something about the Person, and as a rule, I enjoy people who are willing to serve others FAR more than those who are only interested in their own benefit.

17-Apr-24
There is zero reason to not expect this to work out the way that would benefit any entity except those wanting more wolves.

This isn’t about a mutual discussion. This is introducing the idea of more wolves. And a guarantee they’ll use the public to get them. And the people that want hunting gone, has a lot more organization and money to influence that mediation then we do.

I’ll believe it’s good when common sense and real science is applied to the situation involving wolves.

If I want to see a sequoia tree, I have to go to California. If a person wants to to hear or see a wolf, they should get to. Every where they are capable of scratching out an existence.

That sounds tough and rough. But, there’s enough of them now to have open season year round for hunting. And restrict trapping to traditional seasons. They’ll survive in numbers just fine. And likely find a higher carrying capacity and, undoubtably a more stable ecosystem much quicker.

Anyways, I’ll believe it when I see it. And, my idea of what’s right probably sounds biased. But, I guarantee you if that was the lower 48 wolf management plan, the wolves would still be running around every where. It’d just be a natural ecosystem.

Nothing about the Yellowstone debacle was natural. Nothing. Nor was it science. It was a bought and paid for agenda.

• Sitka Gear