Sitka Gear

This morning, I woke up to an inch of fresh snow and single digit temps (-5 degrees wind chill). I set out about hour before light. My destination was a make shift ground blind, that I whittled out of the base of a large spruce tree, on a well-used trail about a mile away. As I reached my blind, I was excited to see the trail littered with fresh tracks in the new snow. My blind offers good cover in the direction I expected the deer to come from, but absolutely no cover from the back side. 20 minutes before shooting light, I heard a buck raking a bush from what seemed to be about 75 yards out in front of me. I made a soft doe bleat and waited. 30 minutes later, I still hadn't seen anything and I suspected the deer had taken a different route. I happened to look behind me, the open side of my blind, and was startled to see this buck at about 100 yards coming right at me with his nose to the ground. Despite the squeaky cold snow, I managed to turn my body into shooting position, in full view of the oncoming buck. He never even looked up. At 15 yards, the buck walked behind a large ponderosa pine tree allowing me to draw. The frigid cold made my arrow screech as it slid over my rest. I thought for sure he'd heard it. But, again, he never looked up nor broke stride. I put my pin on his chest and tracked his motion as he continued to walk directly at me. At six yards, he finally veered slightly to my left. I let him take a few steps past me and whacked him...at 4 yards!! He did the proverbial donkey-kick, bolted 40 yards, and piled up.

Details about Matt Teter 's hunt

Hunt Details

Date Killed - 11/24/2007
State - Co
County - Elbert
Time of Day - Morning
Sex - M
Mule Deer

Equipment Details

Bow Make/Model - Mathews Drenalin
Broadhead - Montec G5 100 gr.
Arrow - Carbon/Graphite