Sitka Gear

This boar came in with about 15 minutes of shooting light left the first night of a 5- day hunt. He had no idea I was there & just stopped broadside at 20 yards. I couldn't pass him up. I zipped him, he yelped/growled & then took off for about 10-15 seconds crashing through everything in some dense brush behind him. Then it went silent- no death moan? I knew I hit him good- a complete pass through with dark red blood right down to through the vanes of my arrow. I was still in my stand but I glassed my arrow laying in the dirt & it was soaked in blood. I called my guide & he told me not to move. By the time he arrived it was dark & now raining. He asked me if I put a good shot on him and I replied, "yes". He then countered with, "good- he;ll be just as dead tomorrow morning!" He was serious, He said going into the woods at night, in the rain after a wounded bear had no future. I slept about 10 minutes that night and was up at 6am the next day ready to track. When I got into the Mess Cabin to eat breakfast, there was my guide ready to go & already having eaten his breakfast. "Jeez, you slept in!" proclaimed my guide with a chuckle. We found my bear, about 40 yards into the dense brush- about 55 yards from where he was hit. I call him my "no sleep" bear.

Details about Rob Hopkins 's hunt

Hunt Details

Date Killed - 05/17/2005
State - Nb
County - Nictau
Time of Day - Afternoon
Sex - M
Black, Brown, or Polar Bear

Equipment Details

Bow Make/Model - Mathews' Outback
Broadhead - G5 Montec
Arrow - Carbon/Graphite