Moultrie Mobile

The leaves and ground were wet from a previous rain and I knew that I wouldn’t be able to hear a deer walking. Due to some ground cover, this buck got within 30 yards of me before I saw him. If he stayed on his course, he would pass broadside, about 20 yards in front of me. I took advantage of a couple of tree trunks on my left to conceal me while drawing the bow. When I started the draw the buck only needed to walk about five more yards to present a good broadside shot. Well, he almost made it and stopped. Now I’m at full draw and I can’t get the site pin on his vitals because of a sapling between us. I lean forward as much as possible revealing the base of his neck and front shoulder. A few seconds that’s normally required to execute a shot turned into a minute or more and I began to shake. I thought if I let down he’ll see the movement and spook so I took the shot at the shoulder and it was very effective. Both of his front legs became useless. He went down for good within 70 yards.

Details about Bobby Hooven 's hunt

Hunt Details

Date Killed - 12/03/2009
State - NC
County - Rockingham
Time of Day - Afternoon
Sex - M
Whitetail Deer

Equipment Details

Bow Make/Model - Diamond Justice
Broadhead - Muzzy MX3 100 Grain
Arrow - Aluminum