onX Maps

Just around 4 or 5 pm game started to trickle in to our water hole. It had been a very hot day. Soon Evert my PH noticed a herd of Kudu we had seen earlier coming to water. I readied my bow, knocked an arrow and waited. One by one the kudu came in cautiously and deliberately as most game does at waterholes. First were the female and young bulls. Then I saw a bull that had a wide set of horns but not quite the full three corkscrew spirals of a mature adult. To my untrained eyes I thought this was a good enough trophy for this little trad bowhunter. But to my chagrin Evert said "don't shoot !!!" He then sat down at the back of the blind. I turned at that moment and asked, "why can't I shoot him". "He's too young" is all Evert said. Then he told me there was another more mature bull yet to appear. As I turned back to peer thru the slit cut in the camouflage netting of our HIDE, the bull stepped into view and peered right into the opening at us.  Well, I can tell you what a thrill it was to see his magnificent spiraling horns as he slowly started to approach the water broadside. No doubt he was a nice mature bull. Just behind him though, was a cow Kudu. Evert said "wait till she moves out of the way before you shoot in case of a pass thru". As soon as he ended that statement the cow stepped out from behind the bull. That left me a clear shot with plenty of room behind. I drew to my anchor and loosed the arrow for a perfect Heart/Lung shot...

Details about Robert Solimena 's hunt

Hunt Details

Date Killed - 11/11/2012
State - OT
County - Kimbereley, South Africa
Time of Day - Afternoon
Sex - M
Africa

Equipment Details

Bow Make/Model - Bear Kodiak T/D Recurve
Broadhead - Magnus II Clasic
Arrow - Aluminum