onX Maps

We spotted a nice chocolate bear feeding along an old logging road from above, but by the time we got to the same elevation, it had been replaced by a much larger, black bear in the same spot. He wasn't much for staying in one spot, so after shadowing him along the logging road for several hundred yards, over nearly an hour, he finally made a mistake. He fed in amongst some upturned stumps, which allowed me enough time out of his eyesight to cut the distance in half then keep up with him along the ditch of the logging road. He was angling towards me and was only 31 yards when he gave me a good opportunity. I drew when his head was behind another stump, then when he stopped, I released. He was quartering away steeply, and the VPA broadhead took out nearly everything from his close hip to his far shoulder, including the far shoulder. We never did find that arrow. At the shot, he turned and ran directly towards me for several yards, dying only 12 yards from me, barely seconds after the shot. The outfitter and his son watched the whole event unfold from a couple of hundred yards behind me.

Details about Sean Buckley 's hunt

Hunt Details

Date Killed - 05/02/2016
State - BC
County - Monashee
Time of Day - Afternoon
Sex - M
Black, Brown, or Polar Bear

Equipment Details

Bow Make/Model - Bowtech Invasion CPX
Broadhead - 150 grain VPA 3 blade
Arrow - Carbon/Graphite