Moultrie Mobile

I was actually elk hunting, and had passed on a cow at 30 yards because she was facing me head-on. As I descended the mountain I was hunting, making my way back to my vehicle, my knee blew out. I saw the small buck spook way ahead of me- but he was traveling the same direction I was headed. I still-hunted as carefully as I could (my painful knee made it easy to move slowly)and was within 100 yard of my truck when the deer jumped out of his bed about 40 yards from me. I don't think he knew what I was, because he came my direction to check me out. At 25 yards he passed behind a tree and I drew, I whistled to stop him and noticed my arrow had fallen from the rest. I let down my bow and he started to jog off, but I whistled again and he stopped broadside at 35, I squeezed off as carefuly as I could, and thought for sure I had double lunged him- but I heard my arrow crunch a stump. I watched him run off, tail down. I went to find my arrow, assuming a clean miss, but the arrow was bloody. Upon closer inspection I found stomach contents on it, and was very disheartened. It took me an hour to find blood- though it was quite profuse, it did not start for about the first 30 yards of the trail, and I was being slow and careful. Blood would become heavy, then dwindle to nothing. After about 300 yards I found where he had bedded,but no more blood, no more deer. after finding a few pin-drops of blood giving some idea of direction, my partner started sweeping out a bit while I concentated on finding more sign near the last blood. He called me over when he found another bloody bed- on my way over to him I very nearly stumbled on my deer in some long grass. Total time elapsed from the shot, about 3 hours. I was happy to find that he had three points on each side. He tasted great to the last drop, by the way.

Details about Dale Garrard 's hunt

Hunt Details

Date Killed - 09/06/1999
State - Id
County - unknown
Time of Day - Mid Day
Sex - M
Whitetail Deer

Equipment Details

Bow Make/Model - High Country Four Runner
Broadhead - Thunderhead 100 grain
Arrow - Aluminum