Sitka Gear

I reached my stand shortly before daylight and by the time the darkness started to lift I was settled in and ready. Around 7:30 I noticed a small doe heading in my direction from my left. She got to within 40 yards of my stand, took a couple of nervous glances around and turned on her heels and went back the way she came. I thought, “ That’s it, they have me busted now, I’m not going to see anything come by here after the commotion I made yesterday”. I sat back and relaxed, resigned to just sitting and enjoying the morning. Around 8 AM I caught a flash of movement to my left and slowly turned my head to see another, bigger doe working her way down the mountain about 75 yards away. While I was contemplating trying my grunt call to get her closer, another doe stepped out of the brush behind her, then another. Before long I counted 5 does, all milling around 75 or 80 yards from my stand. The next deer to step out was a buck with a decent rack, he chased the does around for about a half hour. The whole time I was whispering to myself “ bring him over here ladies…, cmon girls, over this way”. As the group filed into the pines below my stand, my hopes sunk. I figured they would just keep going down the hill and I would never get a shot. Then I saw one of the does coming back up the hill toward my stand…, and sure enough, here came the rest of them. My heart was racing as I slowly stood and turned slightly, anticipating the route they would take by my stand. Looking closely at the buck as he came through the woods toward my stand I could see that he had a Y on both sides but could not see the all important brow tine that would make him legal. Then he turned his head and I saw the third point on at least one side. At 20 yards the buck dropped his head behind a tree. I lifted and drew the bow as slowly as I could, hoping not to alert the harem of does that were now directly under my stand. Everything slowed down to a snails pace as he stepped into my shooting lane. I released the arrow and watched it travel through his chest. The buck ran back down the hill and I heard him crash just out of sight. After sitting down and allowing my beating heart and nerves to settle down a bit, I called my brother in his stand on the 2 way radios that we carry and told him” I didn’t forget to aim low that time Scotty !!” A short blood trail led to the nice 6 point, laying right where I heard him crash to the ground and a dismal seeming season had ended successfully for me.

Details about Mel Pfirman 's hunt

Hunt Details

Date Killed - 11/01/2002
State - PA
County - Lycoming
Time of Day - Morning
Sex - M
Whitetail Deer

Equipment Details

Bow Make/Model - Pro line
Broadhead - Muzzy 100 Gr
Arrow - Aluminum